A319 bypass pin question

That seems like a bad thing if there is a tug and/or towbar still attached to the kerjigger and you're standing anywhere nearby. :confused:

It is. Trust me on that one.
One December night on a very cold ramp at ANC I saw a bypass pin "fall out" of the nose gear of a 747 Classic as the aircraft was getting towed into a parking spot. The nose gear was about thirty degrees over and when the pin came out it snapped a very strong towbar in half. No damage to the nose gear but the guy driving the tug almost took off running. I'm pretty sure he needed new underwear.

I'm thinking its just the sequence of events that takes place to connect the tobar prior to push. I'm with you Ethan, when the plane is parked the torque links should be connected. Our station found out the hard way, we had a CRJ that was parked that that they dropped the links on that did a pirouette just like the video of the Tulsa Tornado. ;)

My point was more along the lines of unless you are cranking the thing more than 70 (I think) degrees there is no reason to ever disconnect the scissors in the first place. I pretty certain that on the Airways Express side of things they never do it. It's just one less thing that rampers can forget to put back together/close/reattach. I've had to return to field twice because mechanics didn't put the scissors back together after they pushed us out of the hangar (requiring more than a 70 degree turn).

I know the -200 the torque links need to be un-pinned during push back or tow. I never worked a -700/-900 when I was on the ramp. Justin can chime in since they had those (-700) up in BGR when he was at Comair. Justin, is there a difference between using those electric tugs here in CVG versus a normal tug and towbar?

That's normal ops here at Comair and at ASA. The ERJ's don't have pins so it's not required when pushing back or towing.
It's normal procedure on all the -200s where I'm at (DL Connection carriers and Pinnacle). From what I can see CO Express doesn't do it on the Chautauqua -200s but they mostly push theirs straight back at our station.

There is no pulling links on the -700s (at least as far as the ramp is concerned) There is a bolt with a crown nut, and a cotter pin that keeps the links together or something like that.

It was SOP to pop the links on all the -200s that we pushed, Comair, ASA, and Pinnacle. Weather or not its 9E's policy to drop em I don't know, we tended to do "the Comair thing" on their airplanes anyways.

Justin, is there a difference between using those electric tugs here in CVG versus a normal tug and towbar?

I did the Lektro thing at an FBO for a bit too. How you drive and push is 180 degrees opposite of each other. I made quite the fool of my self the first time I hopped on a lektro and tried to move an airplane. With the towbar you look at and control the nose of the airplane using opposite reactions like backing a trailer, With the lektro you become the nose of the airplane you look at and control the tail using opposite reactions, which is normal reactions on the nose of the airplane. Confused yet?

I did the Lektro thing at an FBO for a bit too. How you drive and push is 180 degrees opposite of each other. I made quite the fool of my self the first time I hopped on a lektro and tried to move an airplane. With the towbar you look at and control the nose of the airplane using opposite reactions like backing a trailer, With the lektro you become the nose of the airplane you look at and control the tail using opposite reactions, which is normal reactions on the nose of the airplane. Confused yet?
So instead of turning the wheel to the left to make the tail go left, you turn the wheel to the right?

I've used the Lektro over at Horizon in the past and qualified to do push/tow/break ride on Delta. Lekro depending on what type, is the same as a push with the Airbus and Boeing. You want to the tail to turn left, then you turn the push back steering wheel to the left. You can tow the Airbus in without having the bypass steering in and from a break ride prospective make sure the electric pump is off. Otherwise we make sure that we have enough break pressure to stop if the tow bar snaps during tow/push.

Anybody here familiar with the A319?

The other day I pushed out Air Canada, and the Captain wanted the bypass pin removed before disconnecting from the aircraft.:eek: He said something about being able to remove the pin anytime the parking brake is set. I dont know about that though.

If you are in charge of the push, you are in charge of the airplane until you're disconnected...end of story. Let the captain yell and whine all he wants, end of the day it's your job if you listen to him and he's wrong.

Also make sure the pin comes out.

A CAL 757 had a pin left in on one of the "very long" westbound transatlanic flights. Couldnt retract the gear, had to dump fuel and return, yada yada yada. That oops made one of the flight ops newsletters.

If you are in charge of the push, you are in charge of the airplane until you're disconnected...end of story. Let the captain yell and whine all he wants, end of the day it's your job if you listen to him and he's wrong.

Actually, you, as the push crew lead, are responsible for the aircraft's movements while connected to the tug. Not the entire airframe. As a pilot, I've got no problem with that having been pushed back into another airplane once before, I'd just as soon not have the responsibility when moving backwards and I can't see.

Actually, you, as the push crew lead, are responsible for the aircraft's movements while connected to the tug. Not the entire airframe. As a pilot, I've got no problem with that having been pushed back into another airplane once before, I'd just as soon not have the responsibility when moving backwards and I can't see.
Oh so you was your aicraft last year in CLT!;)

Oh so you was your aicraft last year in CLT!;)

Not the rudder we stole from you guys. I think we put 3 or 4 planes into something during pushback last year. I just took off part of a winglet on the side of a catering truck.

Back