A New Rule???

I_Money

People seem to be adding pictures to their signatures which is increasing loading times and really IMHO is pointless. Who supports the rule of not allowing these pictures as a signature but placing them in your profile if you wish to display them. Ofcourse Mr. JC has the final word.

Woohooo only vote so far! 100% in the way of yes! Actually it doesn't matter to me, because I use DSL but it just takes up extra space and is a pain.

I vote for a vouluntary retraction of pictures in the sig column, but keep it 'legal' as far as rules are concerned.

Then if load times start getting bad then we'll unleash the mods and forcefully remove the pics
grin.gif

I disagree.

While I like Dr Strangelove, great movie, and I think a picture of that guy is ok, his picture is way too large. Since we have younger kids on this forum as well, age 15 and under, I also feel his avatar is completely inappropriate.

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree.

While I like Dr Strangelove, great movie, and I think a picture of that guy is ok, his picture is way too large. Since we have younger kids on this forum as well, age 15 and under, I also feel his avatar is completely inappropriate.

[/ QUOTE ]

And why is it inappropriate, Tenney?

Oh wait, I just realized.. I can't view MikeD's posts without his Signature pic.. It's like, his Signature..
tongue.gif

I agree with the voluntary retraction fer now.. It hasn't really gotten out of hand yet. I think this is a quality community, so we are pretty good at not letting things get out of hand too often, and not ruining it for others.

[ QUOTE ]
People seem to be adding pictures to their signatures which is increasing loading times and really IMHO is pointless.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think the load times are bad at all....I've never noticed a delay. Now if you're on dial-up....well, you may indeed notice the increased bandwidth requirement...
confused.gif

I agree with the idea of voluntary retraction. I think it's probably safe to say, however, that alot of people on the board are using high speed internet and that they hardly notice a difference. Just a thought, Ian.....

[ QUOTE ]
Oh wait, I just realized.. I can't view MikeD's posts without his Signature pic.. It's like, his Signature..
tongue.gif

I agree with the voluntary retraction fer now.. It hasn't really gotten out of hand yet. I think this is a quality community, so we are pretty good at not letting things get out of hand too often, and not ruining it for others.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's my take. If someone just plain doesn't like my signature pic and thinks I should take it down, I could easily come back with me not liking their avatar. Either way, neither party would be in the right in telling the other person to take their particular pic down. Now if someone's cheap computer can't handle the upload of the pic, my first thought would be to just as soon say "too freaking bad, buy a quality computer", however because I'm not that kind of person, I'd be willing to meet halfway in order to not spoil someone else's enjoyment of the forum due to technical aspects.

The only matter that irks me is what Iain posted...a poll. Now would this poll just have come out of the blue with no basis? I don't think so. So the point is this (Iain): If someone has a problem with the pic...size, the fact there is one, what it is, etc, then simply come out and address that with me, I'm more than willing to work with anybody. What shouldn't be done is hiding the true meaning behind some poll, so the said poll results could then be posted presented as "...the masses have spoken, your signature pic has been voted off the island!" type of stuff. If someone's got something to say, say it; don't hide behind some candyass poll you come up with. So long as things are kept civil and professional, there's no reason we shouldn't be able to say pretty much anything to anyone around here.

Tenney, I assume that with the children/pic inappropriate comment, you're referring to the cigar Ripper is chomping on. If that is the case, I'd have to disagree that a pic of a cigar is damaging to children anymore than kids seeing the cover of Cosmo or Maxim in the checkout line of a supermarket. It's the same as saying that rock music somehow causes suicides, or that guns cause crime.

Also, with just a few clicks of the mouse (go into Display prefs), people who are whining about pictures can simply choose not to view them.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, with just a few clicks of the mouse (go into Display prefs), people who are whining about pictures can simply choose not to view them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't aware of that feature at all. Wouldn't it be agreed that that feature could solve the whole problem?

[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't it be agreed that that feature could solve the whole problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

One would think so.

I don't think pictures really slow things down anyways...unless people are using a dial-up modem. And to them I say: Get out of the dark ages.
smirk.gif

MikeD...I was going to go there about the cheap computer, and dial up internet. That would be like not doing the site in color because somebody has a monochrome monitor...HELLO, move into the 90's!!!

[ QUOTE ]
MikeD...I was going to go there about the cheap computer, and dial up internet. That would be like not doing the site in color because somebody has a monochrome monitor...HELLO, move into the 90's!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that's funny!
laugh.gif

If you don't like people's signatures, rather than ban them, use this neat little trick:

1) Go to My Home.
2) Under Main Configuration, go to Edit for Display preferences, number of shown threads, languages, colors...
3) Scroll to the bottom.
4) Check Yes or No whether you want to view other user's pictures in their profile, view user's pictures in their posts, and whether you want to view other user's signatures with their posts.

I agree, and besides, you load it once, then it's in your cache and then you don't have to load it again.

If someone had a gigantic picture that required people to scroll back and forth all the time, that would be one thing, but I haven't seen anyone's signature pic that I objected to. I say let the avatars stay, and if you object to someone's avatar, PM them.

C'mon, we're all big people here.

Bah, I hope I wasn't sounding like I was in disagreement, I like it with your sig pic there... Now you should get it back up!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Since we have younger kids on this forum as well, age 15 and under, I also feel his avatar is completely inappropriate.

[/ QUOTE ]We really don't. A very few transient visitors at best, and no "regulars" that I'm aware of. And given that his avatar pic is no worse than the cover of Maxim or FHM any given month, I don't think it's inappropriate at all.

Give it a rest, reverend.

Back