A little scary

Wow, that IS scary. Holy crap.
frown.gif

Wow....

Ya know that guy was one huge jerk. Anyone who would do that just causes huge problems for those of us left... That tower guy probably had a huge cloud of guilt hanging over his head, wondering if he could have done something.

...not to mention the family and friends he left behind.

'
1921:57
N294ND roger four november delta and ah you don't need to use it

1922:03
N294ND yet
'

got the chills
crazy.gif

Yeah, I knew about that accident since the day it happened, but today I finally read the NTSB report in class and I was in a daze. Couldn't think to well after that, but hey, we live and learn. Wish there would have been a better outcome in his life.

Was it intentional, i.e. did he kill himself? If so why didn't he crash it into a mountain or something instead of dirtying up the airport?

Well it was intentional. I read an article in a paper when it happened and it said he had received his 2nd DUI a couple days before.

WOW! Thats all I can say. Its unfortunate that better psycological screening isnt currently available during medicals. People like this make us all look bad. And what a waste of an airplane. I just feel bad for his family.

[ QUOTE ]
WOW! Thats all I can say. Its unfortunate that better psycological screening isnt currently available during medicals. People like this make us all look bad. And what a waste of an airplane. I just feel bad for his family.

[/ QUOTE ]

he could have easily passed such screaning...

Oh I am quite sure he could have. But at the same time, I am sure he was exhibiting signs of depression, which usually go hand in hand with suicides. Its just too bad that nobody got to him before he made a smokey hole.

That's pretty freaky and very sad. Someone mentioned that someting like this happened at ERAU, which it did. I don't like to glamorize this kind of stuff, but it's a good idea to read about it to see if you have a friend who shouldn't be flying. If you can, help them out and don't let him/her get in the plane.

Click here to read about what happened here in DAB.

Of course, as I've said before the FAA medical only keeps you on the ground when you have problems if you actually tell the FAA about the problems.

I'm not trying to start another war here, but this is exactly why the FAA medical process needs to change. It doesn't work.

And don't get me wrong I personally think (for everything except maybe 1st class meds...if you're going to use it for commerical purposes) that a driver's license is just fine. I mean it works for gliders why not PPL's ?

Anyhow. It is sad. For his family and for GA's public perception.

I just hope that this doesn't cause congress to start legislating things. That won't serve us at all.

Later.

Naunga

Oh, I doubt you are going to start a war. I personally agree with you. I for one, hold my FAA certificates and medical very dear and take them very seriously. So you are right, there should be a better weeding out process for "mentally unstable" applicants. But I dont have a clue how you could devise a system of this kind.

Dont say congressional legislation too loud, they might be listening!
frown.gif

As if one crazy guy in a seminole isnt enough, the last thing we need are the feds getting involved. But then, this crash happened in 2000. So I wouldnt worry much.

I think this goes far beyond flying and having an FAA medical!! If you have a friend who you think is down in the dumps, it is a good time to have a chat with them. What makes these stories sad is they are preventable, when you are tired, stressed, in shock, everything seems so much worse, and people focus on the bad and fail to see all the good things that they have going for them.

That is scary, and leaves me sad. Total waste all around.

It seems odd that he had no use to live, didn't care if he lived, but made sure he was nice enough to say goodbye. What was the point if he knew he wasn't gonna be around for it to matter? You would think if he had that much concern for a little thing like saying goodbye to the living ,that he would realize it to be even more important to not off himself for the living. I just don't get it.

I was in RAP on the ramp when this happened. First of all, the last line of the NTSB report lists his last radio transmission as unintelligible. I can tell you first hand it wasn't. The local rumor mill has created the following story, I don't know if it's true or not. Apparently this gentleman used the UND airplane to go either part or all of the way to a regional interview, and was told prior to leaving that he would not be offered the job. To drown his sorrows he got drunk, and got a DUI on the way to his hotel from the bar. The next day, which would be the day of the accident he phoned UND to inform them that he was on his way back, and that he had gotten a DUI, and was informed that he could no longer instruct at the school. Take it with a grain of salt, it's fifth hand rumor mill. I had just finished ATP a few weeks before, so seeing the Seminole crash really hit close to home. What a nasty thing to do to a controller and a school, I feel for the guy, but whatever the circumstances he should have handled things differently.

Back