A little scary

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, the last line of the NTSB report lists his last radio transmission as unintelligible. I can tell you first hand it wasn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay... now you have my curiousity piqued. What did he say?

Holy crap! That'll make the hair on the back of your neck stand up. Pardon my insensitivity, but doing something like that is one of the most selfish things you can do. I have a hard time having simpathy on somebody like that. No matter how bad life seems, there is always somebody out there that has it worse then you. And what makes it selfish is that commiting suicide doesn't get rid of your problems...it just passes them off to your loved ones left behind. Not only that, but that controller didn't deserve to have to deal with that either. That will stay with him the rest of his life. Furthermore, why do it at an airport where there could be lots of other people around that could also be injured or killed....again, selfish. Freaky stuff. I just feel bad for the family left behind.

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, that is freaky. Sad too. Something similar happened with a Riddle Seminole in DAB back in '98...
frown.gif
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Riddle instructor stole the Seminole, flew it around for a while, then intentionally crashed it into the runway, offing himself. Similiar ATC conversation.

Trend with CFIs?

Re: Suicide

Obviously they didn't love flying enough to respect it. The Riddle instructor was quite drunk before boarding that airplane.

Getting drunk in the first place suggests trying to get rid of pain.

The secret is to get help for the pain without taking drugs (prescribed or not) or being hospitalized as a danger to yourself. This is where ministers and priests come in handy, along with books such as Dr. Burn's "Feeling Good." Many airlines have EAP programs where you can get help without losing your pilot job. ERAU Prescott did not have a program, but there are still two instructors there where a struggling person can get help without consequences. Avoid the school doc and counselor office like the plague!!!

And if all else fails, take the grounding, get off the drugs six months before the next medical, have AOPA or VFS (Virtual Flight Surgeons) walk you through the process, and start feeling better. Perhaps contact VFS BEFORE walking into the docs office and know what to expect and/or ask for when showing up at the shrinks office.

PM me if anyone wants more info.

Or you can go off the deep end like www.oddtodd.com and create flash cartoons about your experience or like Scott Adams and have a comic strip.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

Back