$995 Multi Special

I came across this in the back of AOPA Pilot. ATP is offering their MEL rating program for $995. Sure beats Multi Engine Training next door, in terms of safety and questionable aircraft.

http://www.atpflightschool.com/gkyspecial

Just passing it on. . .

I trained "next door" and would train there again before I ever set foot inside ATP. I had no problems "next door", and have never heard anything about their safety record. Please elaborate...

I trained 'next door' the ground school was fantastic. The planes have seen better days.

When I was there the right engine caught on fire (carb fire) and the massive amounts of leaked oil all over the plane made for a nice size fireball. After we evacuated I ran and hid in the ditch like the manly man that I am. The instructor stood in front of the fuel tank. It was back up flying the very next day with some wires inside melted together. I passed.

If I can figure out how to get the pictures off my phone I will post them.

Just to satisfy my curiosity...what is the school "next door"? :laff:

On any account, $1000 seems like a pretty good deal if it really is 10 hours of Seminole and instruction.

Clyde Fredrickson's Multi-Engine school, I think it's all they do....I logged 3.2 hrs before the checkride and got an additional 1.3 during the checkride. Needless to say, the examiner yelled at me just about the whole time because I was behind the airplane for the most part.....but I passed so I guess I didn't scare him to badly.

The groundschool was intense but very efficient, I didn't miss a question on the oral. Felt like a big dawg after that but then went on to get my ace chewed out a few times while flying.

I didn't realize that was their plane on the news there......and just checked the logbook, and damn what do u know that's one I flew in.....:dunno:

I think all he means is, would you rather train in this specific 1958 Beech Travel Air......
78331199.jpg

Ah, the Ol' Travelscare = good times :bandit:

Trying to decide if this would be worth it or not for me. Looks like it would save me $200 overall from my current plan but I'm not sure if I want to go and drive the 1300 miles down to DFW.

Does anyone know if they're going to start doing this at any other locations in the next few months?

You would probably spend the $200 savings in gas, food, and hotels..

How much?

uh $995 :)

On any account, $1000 seems like a pretty good deal if it really is 10 hours of Seminole and instruction.

10 hours in a Seminole for a grand would put anyone out of business. This special is the same thing advertised at the other locations for $1995. You get 8-10 hours in the Level 3 FTD, 4 hours in the plane, and use of the plane for the checkride. Last I heard, the "other" place was charging more for less.

I trained "next door" and would train there again before I ever set foot inside ATP.
I guess you never know what you missed then! Seriously, I am not knocking the other schools training. I have little idea what they do. I was just saying ATP is doing it cheaper and in better planes.

Nice of you to pass it on, but have you trained next door?

You do realize that a lot of people from next door read these forums, and I doubt they appreciate the little jab you just made, considering they have a pretty darn good reputation.

I wasn't trying to make a jab. I was saying that you can get it cheaper in a better plane (like Load said above). I got my AMEL at Clyde's; if the prices were what they are now I'd probably go to ATP. YMMV.

As far as a safety issue, think about this. The whole point of a multi is system redundancy (to simplify). If one engine fails you've got a backup, right? In the Travelairs at Multi Engine Training, the MEI has no yoke in front of him since it's a throwover. So there's no backup. It's your first time flying with asymmetrical thrust and you dork something up. What happens? How can the MEI help you?

Some are probably fine with their CFI having no elevator/aileron controls if needed. I'm not, especially with single-engine airwork. Again, it's just a calculated risk, and we all use different equations.

You would probably spend the $200 savings in gas, food, and hotels..

I factored those in and got the $200 cost savings. But do I want to drive 20 hours as opposed to 4 to save $200 is the question.

Bill, I think you might be thinking of a different school. He is not talking about Skymates. Thanks for having our back though. :)

Hey, i enjoy watching the blue bombers fly around. ;)

If memory serves right, that was a landing gear malfunction with N13A, no engine probs or anything....

In the Travelairs at Multi Engine Training, the MEI has no yoke in front of him since it's a throwover. So there's no backup. It's your first time flying with asymmetrical thrust and you dork something up. What happens? How can the MEI help you?

Some are probably fine with their CFI having no elevator/aileron controls if needed. I'm not, especially with single-engine airwork. Again, it's just a calculated risk, and we all use different equations.

Here's a picture I took in one of MET's Travelairs. I believe it is N13AW, the one in the gearup pictures. Unless they've cut them off in the last couple of years, all the Travelairs at MET have dual controls.
FWIW, I was very happy with getting my multi commercial at MET.

Attachments

• PIC-0014.jpg
    PIC-0014.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 167
Now I'm keeping track. If any of you later on post about how CFI wages stink, or how airline pilots should get paid more, or anything else like that I will dredge up this post. If you're paying less than $1000 for a MEL rating, how much do you think that MEI is making? Or is okay to pay less when it is your money, but not someone elses money?

Now I'm keeping track. If any of you later on post about how CFI wages stink, or how airline pilots should get paid more, or anything else like that I will dredge up this post. If you're paying less than $1000 for a MEL rating, how much do you think that MEI is making? Or is okay to pay less when it is your money, but not someone elses money?

Oooooooooh YEAH!

:whip:

Oooooooooh YEAH!

:whip:

Touchy subject for me. A government entity asked me to submit a bid to give their pilots CMEL training. My bid detailed aircraft costs as well as ground/flight CFI costs. They came back and asked me to drop the CFI costs- essentially asked me to work for free- in order to be competitive with some of these low cost operations. I told them I would be willing to do that as long as their pilots and their families did not receive any pay or benefits during training. I never heard back.:dunno:

Touchy subject for me. A government entity asked me to submit a bid to give their pilots CMEL training. My bid detailed aircraft costs as well as ground/flight CFI costs. They came back and asked me to drop the CFI costs- essentially asked me to work for free- in order to be competitive with some of these low cost operations. I told them I would be willing to do that as long as their pilots and their families did not receive any pay or benefits during training. I never heard back.:dunno:

I hear ya.

Is this (the ATP) guaranteed? You know, if you don't do alot of instrument flying but passed the written and need to get it done before the written runs out kind of deal........AGAIN!! ;) :D

Is this (the ATP) guaranteed? You know, if you don't do alot of instrument flying but passed the written and need to get it done before the written runs out kind of deal........AGAIN!! ;) :D
I'm hoping the sim sessions will cure all that ails me...I just have to swallow my ego!

Back