757 Interior Panels Break, scare Pax

I didn't play the audio when it was released yesterday, but my first thought was "They diverted for a panel?"

I didn't play the audio when it was released yesterday, but my first thought was "They diverted for a panel?"

184 items of self-loading cargo (and I admit, I would be, too) were freaked out. Does that play into the decision?

184 items of self-loading cargo (and I admit, I would be, too) were freaked out. Does that play into the decision?

Truth. I wonder if there was anything the crew could have done to allay the fears rather than digging at the panel like a box of Lucky Charms.

Had a flight attendant scream bloody murder because a overhead CRJ panel fell down prior to landing. It didn't fall on anyone but she was so flustered and startled she thought we should evacuate or something stupid and was pissed at me for telling her to calm down we will be at the gate in a minute as long as no one was hurt. EMERG light in the flare. AWESOME!

Truth. I wonder if there was anything the crew could have done to allay the fears rather than digging at the panel like a box of Lucky Charms.

Well, true.

But specifically - it's sort of a "You're the CA" moment. And since you're a CA, I'm asking you. :)

Does the overall tenor/fear factor of the pax come into your decision even though you know it's possible to operate/complete the flight safely? Does the psyche of the passenger matter in the decision process? That's what I'm wondering about.

It seems more like an unscheduled landing and not an emergency landing. "Hi folks, captn here. I just wanna let you know this plane is 20 years old. I know it looks awesome and new...but its not. Chit happens"

Well, true.

But specifically - it's sort of a "You're the CA" moment. And since you're a CA, I'm asking you. :)

Does the overall tenor/fear factor of the pax come into your decision even though you know it's possible to operate/complete the flight safely? Does the psyche of the passenger matter in the decision process? That's what I'm wondering about.

Meh, somewhat. People will reflect all the drama that you allow to take place. From the top of my head, I'd probably send the first officer back there to have a peek (following all security considerations of course), have him assess the situation and break out the "Coffee/PA Voice".

Panels dislodge all the darned time. Now we've just told an entire nation of social media lemmings that it's time for "Paranoia and Selifies" the next time it occurs.

Meh, somewhat. People will reflect all the drama that you allow to take place. From the top of my head, I'd probably send the first officer back there to have a peek (following all security considerations of course), have him assess the situation and break out the "Coffee/PA Voice".

Panels dislodge all the darned time. Now we've just told an entire nation of social media lemmings that it's time for "Paranoia and Selifies" the next time it occurs.

You remember back in the day when the FE/Second Officer was the "muscle" of the crew, and who the Captain would send to the cabin to "take care of business"?

You should remember......you were him.

Check out the page, it didn't even make top 5, but I thought #1 full-filled many childhood nightmares:

757.jpg

You remember back in the day when the FE/Second Officer was the "muscle" of the crew, and who the Captain would send to the cabin to "take care of business"?

You should remember......you were him.

I am… STEAM GAUGE MAN.

Yup!

"BEEEEN BOOOOONG — hey, hand my Leatherman through the door when I knock, ok?" :)

It's an awesome story, did you read it?

Yeah there were some good phrases in that one

"Residents of a California city are being terrorized by people dressed as clowns, some reportedly wielding machetes or baseball bats, police said."

LOL

Yeah there were some good phrases in that one

"Residents of a California city are being terrorized by people dressed as clowns, some reportedly wielding machetes or baseball bats, police said."

LOL

Damned Juggalos.

Had a flight attendant scream bloody murder because a overhead CRJ panel fell down prior to landing. It didn't fall on anyone but she was so flustered and startled she thought we should evacuate or something stupid and was pissed at me for telling her to calm down we will be at the gate in a minute as long as no one was hurt. EMERG light in the flare. AWESOME!

I get surprised when I go a month without some sort of panel falling down on taxi out.

Side note: did you know sidewall panels are deferrable?

Back