757 A/T failure

At AA a fatigue call is a call to sked. "I am fatigued." Their only SOP response is "When will you be rested and back available"? You tell them whatever time you want or think. You fill out a form sometime in the next 24 (48?) hours and its reviewed by a committee to see if you are pay protected. Thats it.

I remember at my last company youd be forwarded over to a chief pilot if you called in sick on a holiday. "Are they going to make me feel better"?

Yeah that was painful to listen to. And a go around on the approach. Ooph

Just an A/T MEL in itself is not super fatiguing. Once you’re at cruise it takes just the occasional adjustment.

Got that on the third leg of a long day for a SEA-LAS flight. Annoyed but not a reason to refuse the aircraft.

I had a day of flying one a couple years ago. I'd say the main annoyance was setting takeoff power, and managing climb power. Got pretty good by the end of the day at cruise power settings, and arrival/approach were a non-event entirely.

I used to fly an approach a week with AP, FD And AT off. FOs would react as if I was insane. We used to have to do a raw data ILS on PTs at Frontier, but they stopped doing it after COVID, iirc.
It's shocking, 1000 hours in the left seat and a grand total of zero FOs have turned the FD off. When I do it they fumble around and are taken aback. Kinda weird for a company that touts itself as having a lot of hand flyers.

At Virgin guys would turn the FD off all the time. Much more common.

conversation aside, I’m getting slightly annoyed by what ends up being youtube content these days
every radio call to ATC, arinc, phone patches to dispatch, decoded ACARS messages… do we really need satcom to not end up on youtube for something rather banal?*

*where’s my royalty check

One of the reasons I use the satphone even of I've got a solid VHF frequency where I'm at.

At AA a fatigue call is a call to sked. "I am fatigued." Their only SOP response is "When will you be rested and back available"? You tell them whatever time you want or think. You fill out a form sometime in the next 24 (48?) hours and its reviewed by a committee to see if you are pay protected. Thats it.

I remember at my last company youd be forwarded over to a chief pilot if you called in sick on a holiday. "Are they going to make me feel better"?
That’s exactly how it works with the duty pilot as well. They aren’t management.

It's shocking, 1000 hours in the left seat and a grand total of zero FOs have turned the FD off. When I do it they fumble around and are taken aback. Kinda weird for a company that touts itself as having a lot of hand flyers.

Doesn’t the FD instantly come off on any visual approach or visual maneuver to land?

I used to fly an approach a week with AP, FD And AT off. FOs would react as if I was insane. We used to have to do a raw data ILS on PTs at Frontier, but they stopped doing it after COVID, iirc.
I usually hand-fly to FL220 or so, and down from FL220. I disconnect the autothrottles about half the time, and the flight director comes off if I'm not required to use it.

Interestingly enough, my FOs seem to pick up on it and when I encourage them to hand-fly they often do it well. I see it more on the line than I used to, which is promising. My favorite line when they're struggling with automation on a visual approach is "Hey, look up for a sec. That's an airport, this is an airplane. Just fly down there and land," and damned if that doesn't fix the problem pretty much every time—and make subsequent visual approaches better when they use the automation.

I do occasionally hear something like "You're the only captain I've ever seen do that," but the generation that flies with me will be a lot more flexible when they upgrade.

For me, the full automation approaches ARE the proficiency approaches.

At the end of the day, the automation is there to help us, not the other way around.

That said, I also understand refusing an airplane if the automation is deferred in a situation where it will cause SA to diminish/fatigue to increase; I can only imagine a 12+ hour flight would fall into that category. I wasn't there.

Shrug.

At AA a fatigue call is a call to sked. "I am fatigued." Their only SOP response is "When will you be rested and back available"?

At sOme Other places, a fatigue call used to be treated that way, but is now:
"Ok, we'll pull you off fatigued. We'll get you back on the trip in ten hours; your new report time is HH:MM" (10 hours exactly from the time you initiated the call)

Well, I almost exclusively fly with ex virgin dudes and they’re not carrying that over to the guppy. Literally never seen one turn the FD off. In fact pretty much never seen them disconnect the AP above 1000’. I used to think it was a redeye thing but I’ve been able to hold some daytime west coast flying lately and I see the same thing from CAs.

What is the date of hire for most junior 75 captain at Delta? Sounds like this guys first day in the left seat of anything.

Flight level fifteen hundred? 🤔

Agree doesn’t sound like someone with much experience.

Are we coming to a point where we have people at the majors who haven’t flown without autothrottles? The pipeline now seems to pass through Embraer 175 land very often…

Not saying they didn’t have a tiring day… but what would be to some people an annoyance (no autothrottles) might be a dealbreaker to someone who have always had them.

Yikes.

The 757 flies perfectly well without autothrottles, it doesnt add much workload. Maybe it's from my time on the 145 or flying G-IIIs that didn't have autothrottles across oceans, but IMO it's not even something worth stopping the climb for. Sure once at cruise try to troubleshoot it with MX control to see if you can get it back for convenience, but otherwise no big deal.

Some might have arguments for why it's better to turn around. Go for it, evaluate your sources, make the decision, tell dispatch and ATC, and worry about it on the ground. The conversations asking for permission for everything are cringe. Even the whole overweight landing talk. Do some of that Captain stuff and make a decision.

His seniority doesn't matter. One of the things that grinds my gears is assuming people's competency from a seniority number without knowing what their background is. This sounds to me like lack of assertiveness and command authority. Or ulterior motives trying to stick it to the company for the original delay. Either way they should have called in fatigued on the ground. If you don't have the capacity to operate a flight and deal with an airborne non-normal, you shouldn't have taken off in the first place. That's part of the fatigue evaluation. Doing it after the fact in flight is...cringe..I can't come up with any better terms.

Some might have arguments for why it's better to turn around. Go for it, evaluate your sources, make the decision, tell dispatch and ATC, and worry about it on the ground. The conversations asking for permission for everything are cringe. Even the whole overweight landing talk. Do some of that Captain stuff and make a decision.

My question is, why was fatigue even brought up? Why was that back and forth even discussed on an open line (not to mention ways to cover it up by renaming it). Isn’t the Mx issue good enough justification for the return? I would have no problem flying with no A/T, as I do it all the time, but if someone isn’t, just call it as that. No need to rename it or refile it under something else.

My question is, why was fatigue even brought up? Why was that back and forth even discussed on an open line (not to mention ways to cover it up by renaming it). Isn’t the Mx issue good enough justification for the return? I would have no problem flying with no A/T, as I do it all the time, but if someone isn’t, just call it as that. No need to rename it or refile it under something else.
Totally agree. Personally if the minuscule extra workload of flying without autothrottles is causing you to doubt your fitness for duty, you should have called out fatigued before leaving. Or yeah just return for maintenance and stop oversharing on frequency

To be fair, it's a lot more common to fly through the FD on the 7-3 whereas it's completely verboten on the Bus.

Flew the Airbus and the 737 with AT deferred. I flew every approach in the bus with it turned off just because I liked doing it. The 737 for sure was initially flown without AT, was the 757? Either way, this is a crazy video lol...

To be fair, it's a lot more common to fly through the FD on the 7-3 whereas it's completely verboten on the Bus.
*retracts flaps
FD: “OMG OMG PITCH DOWN DOWN DOWN”
*pitches down
FD: “perfect! NONONONO PITCH UP NOW WTF ARE YOU DOING”
*holds pitch
FD: “UP NO DOWN UP DOWN A LITTLE AH PERFECT
*has literally just been holding a known pitch attitude +/- a degree or two for a heavy or light airplane

Back