Boeing Lounge 737 gate cooling tips

I’ve seen the result of someone, usually ground/mx repo, goofing that (door wide open) but the APU has always started. Luckily.

I just turn it off when the cabin is about 2/3 empty and it takes a lot longer for the PAX to deplane than 3 minutes for a MAX. When I get to the airplane and the APU is MEL I follow the procedure in the MEL.

Just wondering how leaving the door open takes down the APU.

According to the safety flash bulletin we just got it does. However, I don't know that from a maintenance perspective. The only thing I know is that on a MAX the APU must be off for 3 minutes not 2 before battery shutdown. 1 minute longer than a NG. I was told this was due to the door closing and that it would INOP the APU via the fancy computer if you did shut it down too quickly. Again, I'm just a walking meat servo so I don't know what kills the APU. They only let me in the maintenance hangar once and I was told to not touch anything.

Haven't had to make that call yet. Thankfully. I've only seen it from the right seat. But quite a few times.

Apparently some are having trouble with the shut down time before the battery is off. Which on the MAX creates an INOP APU.
It’s amazing how long 3 minutes feels like when you just blocked into base…🤣

It’s amazing how long 3 minutes feels like when you just blocked into base…🤣

There's no real quick escape from SEA unless you can get short term parking. The FO gets to bail. I usually stay and secure the aircraft. The employee shuttle is a mess again with construction. you can't escape the prison that is SEA.

There's no real quick escape from SEA unless you can get short term parking. The FO gets to bail. I usually stay and secure the aircraft. The employee shuttle is a mess again with construction. you can't escape the prison that is SEA.
Tbh the only way I would live there is with easy access to 1 line

As the FO that is offered that, I appreciate the nice gesture, but I know it is futile, and i normally just hang out anyway. We’re all gonna end up on the same employee bus (or likely even the same N gate train). I factor in 1 hr from block in to being in my car. Sometimes i get lucky and shave 10-15 mins off that, but usually not.

As the FO that is offered that, I appreciate the nice gesture, but I know it is futile, and i normally just hang out anyway. We’re all gonna end up on the same employee bus (or likely even the same N gate train). I factor in 1 hr from block in to being in my car. Sometimes i get lucky and shave 10-15 mins off that, but usually not.

It seems obvious but lost on many. We both can't leave at the same time because the cockpit is so small. When I'm trying to grab my bag from the storage on the side of my seat, standing behind the center console. It's comical when the other pilot decides that now is the time to get up.

It's really easy if someone leaves right away.
We can still hold hands in the terminal building tho :bounce:

It seems obvious but lost on many. We both can't leave at the same time because the cockpit is so small. When I'm trying to grab my bag from the storage on the side of my seat, standing behind the center console. It's comical when the other pilot decides that now is the time to get up.

My favorite is the first pilot in the cockpit that decides to stand in the door and run half their flows, go through their kitbag, call their mom and file their taxes, all while I’m standing in the galley holding my kitbag and luggage like a big dummy.

It’s a small cockpit, move ya arse

The new 2 person securing checklist certainly results in a bit more “no after YOU” in the extremely spacious flight deck door/forward galley area.

Maybe my new briefing should be: "If we both make a sincere effort to GTFO of here before we get pinned in by the cleaners we will both get home earlier. You want to go first or should I?"

Engine bleeds off, APU bleed on. Both pack and the isolation valve in auto.
Doesn’t matter where you put the temp knobs. It’s a thermostat and it’s already hotter than the high temp limit so they’ll go full cold anyway.

Someone who actually understands how the isol works in auto.

“why you opening that? You already have one of the corner switches off.”

Oh nevermind :)

What is your shop’s procedure for SE taxi in?

We taxi out on engine #2 for SE taxi.

After landing, we taxi in on #1 and shut #2.

With that, for additional airflow:

APU on, APU bleed on, with both engine bleeds off.

But what about the procedure for no APU?

We used to do just isol valve open. Then left engine is doing both sides.

Now we got a procedural change:

Left pack off.

Now, isol in auto makes isol open, and right pack supplied, and duct pressures actually higher (better).

Which begs the question, WHY THE F ARE CLEANERS GETTING ON THE PLANE WITH CUSTOMERS STILL ON THE PLANE?!

Ugh it’s painful
AA has entered the chat.

I can't tell you how many times, as a paying passenger, I've been run over by cleaners pushing past everyone to get on the jet as soon as the door opens.

It's infuriating isn't it? Tell me you don't understand the system without telling me you don't understand the system.
Our AOM says to open it in that configuration, but if that works then what’s the difference?

I wonder if that’s another holdover from the classic days since it was so different from the NG when it came to ground cooling, of lack thereof.

Back