Boeing Lounge 737 gate cooling tips

ozziecat35

4 out of 5 great lakes prefer Michigan.
Everyone has their techniques, curious what yours are for getting max cooling, or maybe max airflow at the gate? What about combo of both? I walk onto too many jets with all 3 temp knobs rolled full 7 o’clock, and people wonder why airflow decreases (froze the packs) I had a new captain do that at the gate while simultaneously throwing both packs to High.

If I want to get a good combo of flow and cold air, I run as follows: APU bleed on, L pack auto / ISOL open / R Pack high. All temp knobs at approx 10 o’clock. If the plane is heat soaked already, both recircs come off as well.

What say you guppy community?

Oh boy, that question will really ruffle the feathers of the pilots at the redneck love line.

But according to our flight ops and my own experience the best way is APU bleed on, engine bleeds off, both packs in high with isolation valve open. That is the maximum ground cooling setting according to Boeing. If the system is in auto it shouldn’t really matter where on the cold side you have the temp setting as it’s going to go full cold if the airplane is hot anyway.

With both packs in high the recirc on the 700 will turn off anyway so no need to mess with it, on the 800/MAX the right one stays on while the left one turns off.

I have found that using that setup works pretty good even with a dark blue airplane.

We use APU bleed to both packs, ISO valve open, packs on high and temp controls at the 9 o’clock position. That prevents filters from clogging with ice/valves from sticking.

Engine bleeds off, APU bleed on. Both pack and the isolation valve in auto.
Doesn’t matter where you put the temp knobs. It’s a thermostat and it’s already hotter than the high temp limit so they’ll go full cold anyway.

Engine bleeds off, APU bleed on. Both pack and the isolation valve in auto.
Doesn’t matter where you put the temp knobs. It’s a thermostat and it’s already hotter than the high temp limit so they’ll go full cold anyway.
I dumped a lot of my -700 ism’s when I left LUV. Now I see an ex-Con -700 maybe once every two months and it’s always this weird rush of nostalgia.

If they could modernize it a bit more with the better radar the -800 has, it’d be even better. Performance for days, etc. The -700 should’ve been the last 737.
Or you know, move the circuit breaker panels overhead (would instantly double the size of the cockpit), add en EICAS and automate bus switching, automate air management including set it and forget it cabin temperature, add an ice detector and automatic ice protection, get rid of the manual trim wheels... you know, minor tweaks.

Having to un-intuitively set the knobs to something other than 7 o'clock when it is really hot outside is just the cherry on top of how dumb that panel (and the bleeds panel as well) are. I won't lie, it was probably me.

My deadhead from RNO to SEA that was supposed to be 1:11 became over 5 hours when the density altitude was too high for a 900ER. We had to fuel stop in SJC. What a mess. Cabin temperature was unbearable to kind of OK. Tie was off as soon as it got too hot.

Pretty poor performance for a "modern" aircraft IMO. I missed out on a bike ride because of it.

My deadhead from RNO to SEA that was supposed to be 1:11 became over 5 hours when the density altitude was too high for a 900ER. We had to fuel stop in SJC. What a mess. Cabin temperature was unbearable to kind of OK. Tie was off as soon as it got too hot.

Pretty poor performance for a "modern" aircraft IMO. I missed out on a bike ride because of it.
UA has 12 straight 900’s. The dirty dozen which are responsible for sop to move the trim air switch, which is a dusty switch at WN. They are absolute pigs performance wise.

UA has 12 straight 900’s. The dirty dozen which are responsible for sop to move the trim air switch, which is a dusty switch at WN. They are absolute pigs performance wise.

I think AS was the launch customer and we still have a few. Usually they go to Sacramento during the summer with a deferred APU for some awful reason.

I’m to the point of a no APU plane = no going to a hot destination. Take to FAI or ANC, probably..LAS/PHX/SMF/etc…nope, y’all can fix the plane.

Don't need another LAS incident

Haven't had to make that call yet. Thankfully. I've only seen it from the right seat. But quite a few times.

Apparently some are having trouble with the shut down time before the battery is off. Which on the MAX creates an INOP APU.

Apparently some are having trouble with the shut down time before the battery is off. Which on the MAX creates an INOP APU.

I’ve seen the result of someone, usually ground/mx repo, goofing that (door wide open) but the APU has always started. Luckily.

Back