250 Knots Below 10,000’

As a boy I would rummage through all of my Grandpa's stuff in a YUGE walk-in closet-room he had in his finished basement. All manner of TWA stuff, Saudi Arabian Airlines stuff, etc. I came upon two very large boxes in the back of the room one day. And they were full of thousands of pages of documents, testimony, technical drawings, NTSB memos among the investigators of this accident, a letter from the FAA Administrator thanking my Grandpa for his input and "tireless work" in this situation (with a handwritten note saying "And NEXT time I'm in KC we're going for a ride in your WACO!} and a personal letter to my Grandpa from the CEO of TWA thanking him for being TWA's representative on the investigation of the Urbana wreck. I spent days pouring through it. He had never brought this up but was happy to tell me all about it when I asked him. He said the speed limits below 10k came because of this accident. He never bragged about stuff - mostly what I'd have to do is find things while rummaging through his crap and then ask him. He was always happy to answer questions and tell the tales, but never brought them up himself. He was the lead TWA pilot when they got the DC-9 initially. Developed the training for the airplane, flew the acceptance flights of the first ones and he was the guy that knew the airplane the best when this crash happened. Thanks Frank for posting this.
I didn’t believe what Old Men stored in their “burn files” until I had the opportunity to review a long-dead Council 1 pilot’s “burn file” somewhat recently.

Yeah, it was good.

Back