250 Knots Below 10,000’

fholbert

Mod's - Please don't edit my posts!
This accident, 54 years ago today, is the reason for the speed restriction.

Type:
Silhouette image of generic DC91 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different

Douglas DC-9-15
Operator:Trans World Airlines - TWA
C/n / msn:45777/80
First flight:1967
Engines:2 Pratt & Whitney JT8D-7
Crew:Fatalities: 4 / Occupants: 4
Passengers:Fatalities: 21 / Occupants: 21
Total:Fatalities: 25 / Occupants: 25
Collision casualties:Fatalities: 1
Aircraft damage:Damaged beyond repair
N.gif
United States of America)
Phase:En route (ENR)
Nature:Domestic Scheduled Passenger
Departure airport:Pittsburgh International Airport, PA (PIT/KPIT), United States of America
Destination airport:Dayton-James Cox Dayton International Airport, OH (DAY/KDAY), United States of America
Flightnumber:TW553
Narrative:
TWA 553 operated on a flight from New York to Chicago via Harrisburgh, Pittsburgh, and Dayton. The aircraft operated on an IFR flight plan in visual flight conditions and had been cleared to descend from FL200 to 3000 feet. While descending through 4525 feet the DC-9 collided with a Beechcraft 55 (N6127V operated by the Tann Comp.) which was on a flight to Springfield. The descending DC-9, overtaking and converging from the left, struck the level Beechcraft from the left rear quarter. The collision angle between longitudinal axes of the two aircraft was approx. 47deg in the horizontal plane and 10deg down in the vertical plane. The collision destroyed the Beechcraft by causing it to disintegrate; portions of the Beech penetrated the forward fuselage section of the DC-9 and destroyed the integrity of the flight control system. The DC-9 entered a descending left turn, crashed and burned. The Beechcraft was not under control of, or in radio contact with any FAA traffic facility. Weather at the time of the collision was thin broken clouds with 6-7 miles visibility in haze.

Probable Cause:

PROBABLE CAUSE: "The failure of the DC-9 crew to see and avoid the Beechcraft. Contributing to this cause were physiological and environmental conditions and the excessive speed of the DC-9 which reduced visual detection capabilities under an air traffic control system which was not designed or equipped to separate a mixture of controlled and uncontrolled traffic."

Last edited:
There was an Allegheny DC-9 collision around the same time on another multi-stop East Coast to Midwest flight. Sadly nailed a student on a solo XC in a Piper. I think that one lead to the advent of transponders on GA planes, though terminal areas didn't come until the PSA crash in San Diego and TCAS not until the Aeromexico one in LA.

What a way to go, terrible.

There was an Allegheny DC-9 collision around the same time on another multi-stop East Coast to Midwest flight. Sadly nailed a student on a solo XC in a Piper. I think that one lead to the advent of transponders on GA planes, though terminal areas didn't come until the PSA crash in San Diego and TCAS not until the Aeromexico one in LA.

What a way to go, terrible.
There was an El Toro F-4 that hit a Hughes Airwest DC-9 in the LA basin that I think led to some changes too

There was an El Toro F-4 that hit a Hughes Airwest DC-9 in the LA basin that I think led to some changes too
I felt sorry for the RIO in the F4, though not his fault, it must have been very difficult to live with, especially with the pilot not getting out safely.

I felt sorry for the RIO in the F4, though not his fault, it must have been very difficult to live with, especially with the pilot not getting out safely.
I remember reading about that. In hindsight the F-4 was broken and shouldn't have been trying to get home. 20/20.

This accident, 54 years ago today, is the reason for the speed restriction.

Type:
Silhouette image of generic DC91 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different

Douglas DC-9-15
Operator:Trans World Airlines - TWA
C/n / msn:45777/80
First flight:1967
Engines:2 Pratt & Whitney JT8D-7
Crew:Fatalities: 4 / Occupants: 4
Passengers:Fatalities: 21 / Occupants: 21
Total:Fatalities: 25 / Occupants: 25
Collision casualties:Fatalities: 1
Aircraft damage:Damaged beyond repair
N.gif
United States of America)
Phase:En route (ENR)
Nature:Domestic Scheduled Passenger
Departure airport:Pittsburgh International Airport, PA (PIT/KPIT), United States of America
Destination airport:Dayton-James Cox Dayton International Airport, OH (DAY/KDAY), United States of America
Flightnumber:TW553
Narrative:
TWA 553 operated on a flight from New York to Chicago via Harrisburgh, Pittsburgh, and Dayton. The aircraft operated on an IFR flight plan in visual flight conditions and had been cleared to descend from FL200 to 3000 feet. While descending through 4525 feet the DC-9 collided with a Beechcraft 55 (N6127V operated by the Tann Comp.) which was on a flight to Springfield. The descending DC-9, overtaking and converging from the left, struck the level Beechcraft from the left rear quarter. The collision angle between longitudinal axes of the two aircraft was approx. 47deg in the horizontal plane and 10deg down in the vertical plane. The collision destroyed the Beechcraft by causing it to disintegrate; portions of the Beech penetrated the forward fuselage section of the DC-9 and destroyed the integrity of the flight control system. The DC-9 entered a descending left turn, crashed and burned. The Beechcraft was not under control of, or in radio contact with any FAA traffic facility. Weather at the time of the collision was thin broken clouds with 6-7 miles visibility in haze.

Probable Cause:

PROBABLE CAUSE: "The failure of the DC-9 crew to see and avoid the Beechcraft. Contributing to this cause were physiological and environmental conditions and the excessive speed of the DC-9 which reduced visual detection capabilities under an air traffic control system which was not designed or equipped to separate a mixture of controlled and uncontrolled traffic."

Yup, that's the one!

And chillingly, there is a picture of this exact flight, as it is taxiing out of PIT on its ill-fated flight (nose wheel cranked hard over when the picture was taken). Who would have thought just minutes later it would end up in a fatal midair :(

19670309-0-P-1.jpg

Covered here:

Technically, they hit each other.

Nor anyone else between the two aircraft. Known issue with the front ejection seats when the back goes,

Same with the pax who had to ride the jet still, looking at a giant hole and sky where the cockpit used to be after it was cleanly sliced off from about row 3 forward.

I remember reading about that. In hindsight the F-4 was broken and shouldn't have been trying to get home. 20/20.

Not that it’s especially relevant to the thread, but years ago I flew as a student (and worked as a line boy) out of Beverly Airport in Massachusetts. The field was uncontrolled at the time (had three runways, too) and just a fine place to spend time. One evening, on the clock at Omni Beechcraft just before dusk, there was the clear sound of a jet on final to Runway 9. A friend and I ran the 5,000+ feet to the ramp on the other side of the field to see my very first Jetstar taxiing in to the ramp. I have a few old black and white pictures somewhere that ccasionally remind me of halcyon days from long ago.

Back