2010 Payscale question.

I was field artillery fire direction control in the army, i already have years of radio comm experience and command and control experience. It's not ATC, but it still involves life and death and ordering around people who had more rank and experience than I did. I know what I am getting into.

Wait until you get to your facility things may not be so cut and dry. Many people with the "skill set" don't make it. This job is like no other. If you have not been a controller before you cannot be sure you can do this job (and even if you have, you still are not assured you'll make it).

On the other hand a healthy portion of confidence goes a long way(unless it is too much).

I was field artillery fire direction control in the army, i already have years of radio comm experience and command and control experience. It's not ATC, but it still involves life and death and ordering around people who had more rank and experience than I did. I know what I am getting into.

Wasn't referring to you, just in general.

Wait until you get to your facility things may not be so cut and dry. Many people with the "skill set" don't make it. This job is like no other. If you have not been a controller before you cannot be sure you can do this job (and even if you have, you still are not assured you'll make it).

On the other hand a healthy portion of confidence goes a long way(unless it is too much).

:yeahthat:

My point is, I am confident I can do the job, but what I mean is even with a vague idea of what the job entails, one should be able to tell if they think they can cut it or not.

I live in the shadow of a level 8 up/down and knowing how much traffic this airport handles, I know that a lv 8 facility really can't be that bad.

My point is, I am confident I can do the job, but what I mean is even with a vague idea of what the job entails, one should be able to tell if they think they can cut it or not.

I live in the shadow of a level 8 up/down and knowing how much traffic this airport handles, I know that a lv 8 facility really can't be that bad.

EVERYONE is confident they can do the job. Or else they wouldn't be applying. I'm not saying you can't. I'm just saying that there is a lot more to it than just keying up and telling an a/c where to go. If you want to know what the hardest part about ATC for me is, turn on 2 different radio talk shows and a TV program while having a conversation with a friend at the same time, be able to understand and concentrate on each one of them individually and then respond accordingly and expeditiously to each one. "Tower ear" was most definitely the hardest part of the job for me.

That example isn't exactly what it's like at a facility, but it's the closest thing I could come up with right now.

I don't care how long a person been talking on a radio, I guarantee you it won't prepare you for ZNY. I would say if you make it to the floor with the real controllers then celebrate because more than likely it's a done deal from there!

I don't know you from Adam, but I do know that people going to lvl 8's (like myself) might resent the fact that you imply our job is below yours... just a tip: confidence is great, but a little humility will be a big asset in this career.

I did not mean to imply that a level 8 facility is an inferior place to work, and I certainly did not make any personal attacks on anyone here. What I was saying is a person should know their limits going into this job. If I had even a modicum of doubt in my ability to perform this job and perform it well, I would not have applied. Anxiety about speaking on a microphone should be something that would have manifested itself somehow in this persons prior experience if he had all the experience required to make it to OKC in the first place.

Roger that. Now here's to everyone being on the same team and providing for the safe, expeditious and orderly flow of air traffic :rawk: Level 7 or level 12 ya'll are doin the same damn thing as the next guy just maybe a little quicker.

Roger that. Now here's to everyone being on the same team and providing for the safe, expeditious and orderly flow of air traffic :rawk: Level 7 or level 12 ya'll are doin the same damn thing as the next guy just maybe a little quicker.

Somewhere my CFI instructor is yelling, "WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? ROGER THAT?! SHOW ME WHERE TO FIND THAT IN THE PILOT/CONTROLLER GLOSSARY!"

I miss the guy. :laff:

Back