2010 Payscale question.

I figured as much, I was just hoping that I misunderstood because that's so low. If I'm looking at that for a level 12 facility I feel bad for the people in lower levels. Oh well...it is just starting out and will get better.
Just be careful what you wish for.. I'm glad I'm going to a LVL 8. I get the best of both worlds, too. Tower and TRACON since it's an up/down.. Now here's to not washing out...:beer:

Also, you have to understand that when the government changes pay rates, everyone's pay changes. So if you sign a TOL now based on 2009 pay scale, once FY 2010 comes around your pay could change. Right now NATCA is working out a new contract with the FAA, if it isn't settled by the end of the month, it goes to arbitration. Also, if you are getting 16% locality pay, then it would be 33,700 * 1.16 not 1.36. I believe the highest locality pay is 27.96% which makes the starting salary at a facility at that locality pay, under the current pay scale would be 33,700 * 1.2796 = $43,122.52

Another thing, it is not necessarily true that everyone at the academy gets paid the same. It is my understanding that veterans start at the academy at the $33,700 base pay, though I don't remember where I read that. They also receive seniority over non-Veterans with the same experience at a facility with regards to shifts and days off. If you are a civilian and arrive at your facility the same day as a Veteran, the Veteran has seniority.

I had my PEPC in January 09 and I signed my Tol at $32,900 + 16 %Locality pay for AZ.
Thanks
I think your brother might be confused. The TOL I received today very cleary said my salary for ZAU was $41,xxx which included the locality pay of 24.47%. Base pay plus a locality pay of 36% would probably make the total right around $45k.

Also, you have to understand that when the government changes pay rates, everyone's pay changes. So if you sign a TOL now based on 2009 pay scale, once FY 2010 comes around your pay could change. Right now NATCA is working out a new contract with the FAA, if it isn't settled by the end of the month, it goes to arbitration. Also, if you are getting 16% locality pay, then it would be 33,700 * 1.16 not 1.36. I believe the highest locality pay is 27.96% which makes the starting salary at a facility at that locality pay, under the current pay scale would be 33,700 * 1.2796 = $43,122.52

Another thing, it is not necessarily true that everyone at the academy gets paid the same. It is my understanding that veterans start at the academy at the $33,700 base pay, though I don't remember where I read that. They also receive seniority over non-Veterans with the same experience at a facility with regards to shifts and days off. If you are a civilian and arrive at your facility the same day as a Veteran, the Veteran has seniority.
Correct.

My post above was just in regards to OTS applicants since most people on these boards are applying OTS. I should have clarified.

Locality pay at the Academy is over 28%...I was surprised it was that high. Guess they want to give you as much money to live on as possible.

Locality pay at the Academy is over 28%...I was surprised it was that high. Guess they want to give you as much money to live on as possible.
No.

The locality pay you get while you are at the Academy is the locality percentage you will be receiving when you arrive at your facility.

For example, assuming I will be paying for all of my expenses out of pocket and receiving the FULL 80.40 per day for per-diem, this is how it will work:

If I'm going to a facility that has a "Rest of the Nation" locality (13.86%) then I will receive my base Academy pay * 1.1386 PLUS the daily per-diem rate of 80.40 per day.

If I'm going to a facility with a 26% locality rate, while at the Academy I will get base Academy pay * 1.26 PLUS the daily per-diem rate of 80.40 per day.

People going to Washington Center or MIA TRACON are going to be making more than me at the Academy regardless, because I will not live in a high cost-of-living area.

No.

The locality pay you get while you are at the Academy is the locality percentage you will be receiving when you arrive at your facility.

For example, assuming I will be paying for all of my expenses out of pocket and receiving the FULL 80.40 per day for per-diem, this is how it will work:

If I'm going to a facility that has a "Rest of the Nation" locality (13.86%) then I will receive my base Academy pay * 1.1386 PLUS the daily per-diem rate of 80.40 per day.

If I'm going to a facility with a 26% locality rate, while at the Academy I will get base Academy pay * 1.26 PLUS the daily per-diem rate of 80.40 per day.

People going to Washington Center or MIA TRACON are going to be making more than me at the Academy regardless, because I will not live in a high cost-of-living area.

I thought that's how it worked, my TOL says something different from what I got from my HR rep. My actual TOL has the locality of 24.47% for both the Academy and for Aurora. Another sheet I got today with my HR persons contact info says:

As indicated in our TOL dated June, 22, 2009, you have been selected for an Excepted Appointment for the following position:

Position: ATCS
Type of Apointment: Excepted Appointment
Salary: $22,500 per annum, which includes 28.28% locality pay
Option: EnRoute

Must just be a typo though. Thought it was curious that locality would be higher at school.

Now, here's a question for ya...would a veteran applying through a PUBNAT get the higher rate of pay or the regular OTS pay while at the academy?

Now, here's a question for ya...would a veteran applying through a PUBNAT get the higher rate of pay or the regular OTS pay while at the academy?

I believe that is for all Veterans, not just VRAs (which is only for military controllers).

is it? or is it an allowance like COLA? in the military (and I'm assuming since this is a federal job it's the same) We didn't get taxed on anything except base pay and bonuses.

that's what I'm wondering too. Although I think locality pay and COLA might be classified differently... :confused:

locality pay is taxed, COLA is not, I believe I read about controllers in remote areas getting COLA in addition to locality pay, with locality being taxed and COLA exempt

locality pay is taxed, COLA is not, I believe I read about controllers in remote areas getting COLA in addition to locality pay, with locality being taxed and COLA exempt
Correct. Locality is taxed. COLA is not.

Per-diem is also NOT taxed. :rawk:

Don't quote me, but I believe that Hawaii and Alaska are the only two states that have a COLA. Again, I'm not 100% sure though.

Correct. Locality is taxed. COLA is not.

Per-diem is also NOT taxed. :rawk:

The other good thing about Locality vs. COLA is that locality is included in your high 3 for retirement. COLA is subtracted, so in some areas that could be the equivalent of losing 25% of your salary.

Don't quote me, but I believe that Hawaii and Alaska are the only two states that have a COLA. Again, I'm not 100% sure though.

That is correct. However, I have heard that they are considering eliminating COLA for AK and HI, and using locality for those areas. That's just what I heard, though.

Edit: Looks like this is going to happen. Although I don't plan on spending my whole career in Alaska, this is good news.

http://newsminer.com/news/2008/oct/02/senate-supports-eliminating-cola-alaska/

Back