2010 Payscale question.

Already figured that out. My TOL and a letter I received from HR had two different locality rates. Guessing it was a typo on their part.

I have the same typo. I wonder what that's about...

Not that the pay matters at this point, I just want all the clearances to be in and my FOL in hand. :)

Now, here's a question for ya...would a veteran applying through a PUBNAT get the higher rate of pay or the regular OTS pay while at the academy?

Actually ANY Federal employee (military or non-military) gets a higher payscale while in OKC. The employee does have to go into HR and fill out the forms to get it.

Once they get to their facility they are put at the same pay as all other trainees at that facility but while in OKC they do make more. (A guy that trained with my husband was a federal employee and transferred from post office to ATC...he also doesn't have to worry about failing out of the facility due to already being a federal employee...lucky guy!!!)

he also doesn't have to worry about failing out of the facility due to already being a federal employee...lucky guy!!!)

Are you saying that no matter how poorly you perform at your facility once you get there, they won't revocate you if you are a prior federal employee?? That doesn't sound quite right... Maybe I'm misunderstanding you...

Are you saying that no matter how poorly you perform at your facility once you get there, they won't revocate you if you are a prior federal employee?? That doesn't sound quite right... Maybe I'm misunderstanding you...
From the sound of the new contract they don't want to get rid of anyone.

Training failures have always been a concern of our membership, but under todays changing environment, it is even more critical that we provide the best opportunity for new hires to succeed. Article 61 provides procedures for non-probationary developmental controllers who do not successfully complete training. Employees may be given the opportunity for reassignment to a lower level facility if a vacancy exists. Employees will be given a choice of up to five facilities, and en route employees will be sent back to the Academy for terminal training.

I know for a fact that if you can't certify in time on positions at a terminal location, they WILL terminate you.

Well I was told at ZNY during my interview that they try to find positions at lower level facilities for people who have been partially certified but can't get fully certified.

It makes no sense to terminate someone after spending months, perhaps years, training them if they are 50% or 75% at a level 12 facility when they could easily be fully certified at a level 8 facility.

The government may do a lot of things that make no sense, but spending literally hundreds of thousands of dollars training someone, just to fire them is not something they like to do.

Well I was told at ZNY during my interview that they try to find positions at lower level facilities for people who have been partially certified but can't get fully certified.

It makes no sense to terminate someone after spending months, perhaps years, training them if they are 50% or 75% at a level 12 facility when they could easily be fully certified at a level 8 facility.

The government may do a lot of things that make no sense, but spending literally hundreds of thousands of dollars training someone, just to fire them is not something they like to do.
I agree. However, someone at my facility just got terminated because they couldn't check out on ground (It's a level 8 up/down)

Center controllers get pushed back to terminal training if they fail out. One of the CPCs where I will be working was a trainee and RPO at ZFW. He failed out of training and is now a CPC at my facility.

As the training order reads now if your at a level 9 or higher facility and you fail to check out, you may have the chance to transfer to a level 8 or lower facility if you reach D2. D2 failure would = level 8 or lower tower without radar. D3 failure would= Level 8 or lower up/down.

If you fail at a level 8 or lower you are terminated.

Keep in mind the way the training levels work under IWR, D2 at a center isn't until all your d-sides are complete. In my area to reach D3 you have to have 4 out of 6 R-sides because we train two sectors at a time.

Well I suppose if you fail out of a lv 8 facility, there really is no where lower to go (yes I know there are lv 6 and 7 facilities, but come on).

Hmm maybe it's a good thing I got selected for LAX then. It's almost like 2 shots at it (if they have any vacancies elsewhere). Not that I plan to screw up, though.:D Thanks for the info guys.

Well I suppose if you fail out of a lv 8 facility, there really is no where lower to go (yes I know there are lv 6 and 7 facilities, but come on).
My thoughts exactly.

Some of the feedback I got from a particular individual about the person who washed out (at a level 8, no less) was that he was deathly afraid of the microphone and was constantly second-guessing himself. Honestly, I can't imagine washing out on DEL/GND, but as they say, this job is not for everyone.

Why even consider the job if you can't handle giving orders or talking on a radio? You would think those would be a skill set you would know you have or don't have if you already have the minimum experience required to apply.

Why even consider the job if you can't handle giving orders or talking on a radio? You would think those would be a skill set you would know you have or don't have if you already have the minimum experience required to apply.
His father was a controller.. He REALLY should have known.

My thoughts exactly.

Some of the feedback I got from a particular individual about the person who washed out (at a level 8, no less) was that he was deathly afraid of the microphone and was constantly second-guessing himself. Honestly, I can't imagine washing out on DEL/GND, but as they say, this job is not for everyone.

I saw first-hand, 2 people wash out in 2 years on ground at one of the facilities I was at while i was in the military. It happens...and more often than you might think, even at slower facilities.

It's a whole new ball game when you are in a simulator or being able to give orders to someone face to face. Trust me, when you key up for that first time talking to a real, live a/c you WILL be nervous. Some people just don't ever get over it. Something you don't know until you are in that situation.

It's a whole new ball game when you are in a simulator or being able to give orders to someone face to face. Trust me, when you key up for that first time talking to a real, live a/c you WILL be nervous. Some people just don't ever get over it. Something you don't know until you are in that situation.

I was field artillery fire direction control in the army, i already have years of radio comm experience and command and control experience. It's not ATC, but it still involves life and death and ordering around people who had more rank and experience than I did. I know what I am getting into.

Back