1959 C182B

Recently went in on this with a few partners. I only have a 1/3rd share. We looked for something all summer, really wanted a C-170 or PA-12 (actually I really wanted a Maule but I wasn't the only one buying) but the ones for sale in our price range were.....rough. The 182 is a lot more bang for the buck in AK it seems, probably because tricycle gear are less useful and therefore less valuable. The C-170's we were seeing priced less than 75k were.....scary. I just tell people it's a training wheel for unskilled pilots like myself (last flew a tailwheel 10 years ago in a Decathlon). Believe me, you do get grief for flying a trike in Alaska, unless maybe it's a C-206 or 208.

Just keep the nose gear hyper-pressurized, and land with lots and lots of flare.

Here's our "city" 182. Have 2 partners and keep it at yolo county (kdwa). Love the look with the bigger tires on your Alaska birds.
IMG_4129.JPG
IMG_5491.jpg

I'm not an a&p so we can't make any logbook entries. It would just let him know where it is.

Advisory. Like a vfr gps with vectors to a fix 700nm away.

And you don’t feel you’d have some obligation to take the weight gain into account?

And you don’t feel you’d have some obligation to take the weight gain into account?
Is it flying today with the extra 50lbs indifferent to it? Yes.
How does weighing it change what is actually happening? Weighing the airplane does not add weight. The weight was already there.
CG is far more important than weight. But even then, he's free to do with that information whatever he chooses. So no I have no obligation. I was simply offering advisory help.

Do you subtract 50-100lbs from the mgtow of an airplane that hasn't been weighed in 5-10 years?

Is it flying today with the extra 50lbs indifferent to it? Yes.
How does weighing it change what is actually happening? Weighing the airplane does not add weight.
CG is far more important than weight. But even then, he's free to do with that information whatever he chooses.

Do you subtract 50-100lbs from the mgtow of an airplane that hasn't been weighed in 5-10 years?
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.
Oooor hear me out...if he’s suspicious of the weight and balance he could get a legit one done by someone who knows what they’re doing and is impartial. You know, like you’re supposed to do.

Aircraft owners....

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.
Oooor hear me out...if he’s suspicious of the weight and balance he could get a legit one done by someone who knows what they’re doing and is impartial. You know, like you’re supposed to do.

Aircraft owners....
Sure, but isn't rocket science. I just did my airplane which is why I ha e them. I've actually been trained/done it on multiple airplanes in how to do it and have the documentation to prove that in the form of my lsrm-a. I'd charge him $0 and he can go from there based on what he wants to do.

We have a pretty thriving community of owners up here that help each other out with what we can to keep costs down. Few of us are uber wealthy. I've borrowed more $5k plus tools in the last few months than I can imagine. I'm not even sure how people do it without the support network.

Last edited:
Sure, but isn't rocket science. I just did my airplane which is why I ha e them. I've actually been trained/done it on multiple airplanes in how to do it and have the documentation to prove that in the form of my lsrm-a. I'd charge him $0 and he can go from there based on what he wants to do.

We have a pretty thriving community of owners up here that help each other out with what we can to keep costs down. Few of us are uber wealthy. I've borrowed more $5k plus tools in the last few months than I can imagine. I'm not even sure how people do it without the support network.
Is there a lack of qualified mechanics where you live?

Is there a lack of qualified mechanics where you live?
Probably. But at wages that mechanics absolutely should be paid, it prices the non quite rich person right out of GA. Which is why over 50% of new single engine airplanes are experimental.
Small airplanes are more or less all custom works of art, even the certified ones. Unless it's 100% un-changed from it's type certificate which is all of - 0% of airplanes. The man hours that goes into making that possible is only affordable by the uber rich. The rest of us get by on our community and love of aviation costs be damned. But those costs are paid in our labor, which is worth far less than someone elses.

My offer of weighing his airplane, which I'm fully qualified to do if his 182 weighed a little less, was in this website's idea of paying it forward, much like a whole bunch of us do where I live.
Need something swaged on with a $5k tool, someone has that in their shop and you go use it/they teach you to use it. Need some 4130 welded, about a dozen guys that are more than happy to show someone how to do it, even if you need to do it again 4 times, until it's good, just because you show an interest in learning how to do it yourself.
Need sheet metal work, same thing. We have multiple people up here that are graciously happy to lend time to show you how it's done.
Most of these guys are nearing retirement and there's very few left that can do what they do and IME, they are quite happy to pass on their skills to keep it going,

Last edited:
Probably. But at wages that mechanics absolutely should be paid, it prices the non quite rich person right out of GA. Which is why over 50% of new single engine airplanes are experimental.
Small airplanes are more or less all custom works of art, even the certified ones. Unless it's 100% un-changed from it's type certificate which is all of - 0% of airplanes. The man hours that goes into making that possible is only affordable by the uber rich. The rest of us get by on our community and love of aviation costs be damned. But those costs are paid in our labor, which is worth far less than someone elses.

My offer of weighing his airplane, which I'm fully qualified to do if his 182 weighed a little less, was in this website's idea of paying it forward, much like a whole bunch of us do where I live.
Need something swaged on with a $5k tool, someone has that in their shop and you go use it/they teach you to use it. Need some 4130 welded, about a dozen guys that are more than happy to show someone how to do it, even if you need to do it again 4 times, until it's good, just because you show an interest in learning how to do it yourself.
Need sheet metal work, same thing. We have multiple people up here that are graciously happy to lend time to show you how it's done.
Most of these guys are nearing retirement and there's very few left that can do what they do and IME, they are quite happy to pass on their skills to keep it going,
That’s not what made me do a double take. It was the implied “weeellll since I can’t write it down (wink wink) you can check the balance without having to acknowledge the weight gain (nudge nudge)”. Maybe that’s not what you intended, but it sure sounded like it.

And I totally get the sharing/helping thing. Do you think I charged anywhere near what a shop would to put that Garmin gear in my coworker’s Maule?

That’s not what made me do a double take. It was the implied “weeellll since I can’t write it down (wink wink) you can check the balance without having to acknowledge the weight gain (nudge nudge)”. Maybe that’s not what you intended, but it sure sounded like it.
Which is more safe, being 50lbs over or 2 inches aft of c.g. limit and not knowing it?
If he's concerned about real C.G location I'd much rather someone know the actual location and ignore the weight gain then not weigh it and not know.

Well I never took z up on the scales offer but we are doing plenty of business with the local A&P's, have you no worry Roger Roger!

Paid a local A&P to do an oil change because it had Aeroshell W100 put in during the pre-buy september oil change. Not sure why they'd use that oil for AK autumn, but we wanted W80 in it for winter flyability, not to mention it had been 4 months since last change. I realize I can do oil changes myself but wanted some instruction for the first time, especially since I do not know how to use safety wire for the filter. A&P offered to walk me through the change. Unfortunately that did not work out in the end due to work backlog at his shop and my work schedule. So we ended up paying $700 for an oil/filter change and not really learning how to do it ourselves. He said it was going to be $85/hr and would only take a 3-4 hours....not sure how that math works but OK, lesson learned (I was not the one who paid/retrieved the airplane). Our regular mechanic who works with us a little better was on a winter vacation.

Big problem was 2 cracks in the airbox were found during the oil change. So now the airbox is out getting fixed by our regular mechanic, since he came back from vacation. I guess that's going to hurt the budget badly, expecting at least $2-3k for that deal. Better than finding it during the annual in April I guess.

Also I am not really worried about this thing gaining weight. If it gained weight in the ass end I'd actually be happy. The forward CG is the problem.
If I took the 34-42" front seat CG range allowance that is there on later 182's it would help a lot. It is already at 100 pounds over factory empty weight, largely attributable to the 2 dozen STC's. Why the early 182s are fixed at station 36 for the front seats I have no idea, the seat slide fore and aft just the same as the later models which allow a range of 32-50 for the fronts. My main W&B ??? is that at the last one they weighed it with partial fuel in the tanks and calculated that out. I really have to wonder how they figured out just how much fuel was in the tanks. If they underestimated the fuel that was in there, it ended up with a very forward emty CG and very high empty weight.

On the plus side the filter was very clean so the engine appears to be in good shape! And I did find a working KX-170b radio at a local salvage yard for $200 that works pretty well and was an easy slide in replacement for the defunct KX-170a it came with.

Last edited:
Well I never took z up on the scales offer but we are doing plenty of business with the local A&P's, have you no worry Roger Roger!

Paid a local A&P to do an oil change because it had Aeroshell W100 put in during the pre-buy september oil change. Not sure why they'd use that oil for AK autumn, but we wanted W80 in it for winter flyability, not to mention it had been 4 months since last change. I realize I can do oil changes myself but wanted some instruction for the first time, especially since I do not know how to use safety wire for the filter. A&P offered to walk me through the change. Unfortunately that did not work out in the end due to work backlog at his shop and my work schedule. So we ended up paying $700 for an oil/filter change and not really learning how to do it ourselves. He said it was going to be $85/hr and would only take a 3-4 hours....not sure how that math works but OK, lesson learned (I was not the one who paid/retrieved the airplane). Our regular mechanic who works with us a little better was on a winter vacation.

Big problem was 2 cracks in the airbox were found during the oil change. So now the airbox is out getting fixed by our regular mechanic, since he came back from vacation. I guess that's going to hurt the budget badly, expecting at least $2-3k for that deal. Better than finding it during the annual in April I guess.

Also I am not really worried about this thing gaining weight. If it gained weight in the ass end I'd actually be happy. The forward CG is the problem.
If I took the 34-42" front seat CG range allowance that is there on later 182's it would help a lot. It is already at 100 pounds over factory empty weight, largely attributable to the 2 dozen STC's. Why the early 182s are fixed at station 36 for the front seats I have no idea, the seat slide fore and aft just the same as the later models which allow a range of 32-50 for the fronts. My main W&B ??? is that at the last one they weighed it with partial fuel in the tanks and calculated that out. I really have to wonder how they figured out just how much fuel was in the tanks. If they underestimated the fuel that was in there, it ended up with a very forward emty CG and very high empty weight.

On the plus side the filter was very clean so the engine appears to be in good shape! And I did find a working KX-170b radio at a local salvage yard for $200 that works pretty well and was an easy slide in replacement for the defunct KX-170a it came with.
I bet you a dollar that same salvage yard has a perfectly functioning airbox for in the $50-100 range.

$700 for an oil change, holy crap. I mean I get it, mx hourly rates and all, but this airplane is going to get expensive fast. Dude, PM me, we could have done that in an afternoon in a heated hanger and I would have only charged you 1 beer.

Haha, yeah. I preheated the engine and taxied it over to his place expecting to do an owner assisted oil change only to find out it wasn't going to happen. Should've just taxied back to my tie down at that point. I'll certainly hit you up for the next one although hopefully this oil lasts until annual in April.

You're right, Sutton's would probably have a decent airbox! I'll run the idea by the A&P that's got our broken one and see what he says.

Last edited:

$700 for an oil change is outrageous, and it’s like an hour job if you warmed it up before you brought it over.

$700 for an oil change is outrageous, and it’s like an hour job if you warmed it up before you brought it over.

Yep, we got ripped off. Not proud of it but maybe someone else can learn from my mistake. Get some kind of official written price quote up front and dont rely on a verbal estimate.

Back