1959 C182B

Holy crap man...

I think I’m down to 30 minutes and only a half a gallon of spilled oil per change. But jeez, you got taken to the clearners. Sorry to rub it in, but that is shocking.

Do you have a spin on filter?
Also, invest in Blackstone oil analysis. They do great stuff. I think they’re $28/ sample. You can see good trends happening. Also, don’t you have an engine analyzer? I’m starting to learn what the graphs mean and how they correlate to various things. Very much worth the effort and ass pain (there wasn’t much) to install one.

Holy crap man...

I think I’m down to 30 minutes and only a half a gallon of spilled oil per change. But jeez, you got taken to the clearners. Sorry to rub it in, but that is shocking.

Do you have a spin on filter?
Also, invest in Blackstone oil analysis. They do great stuff. I think they’re $28/ sample. You can see good trends happening. Also, don’t you have an engine analyzer? I’m starting to learn what the graphs mean and how they correlate to various things. Very much worth the effort and ass pain (there wasn’t much) to install one.

Yep. I would've argued had I been the one picking the airplane up....but one of the other partners did it and just paid up. Charged $595 in labor, that's about double what he quoted. I didn't expect to get bent over like that otherwise I would've given the other guy a heads up to look closely at the charges. 12% labor discount though!

No engine analyzer. It's a single probe EGT/CHT.

Simply put, I haven't yet learned to take the cowl off and safety wire the filter (yeah, it has the spin on). I want to be taught to do that properly before I go all DIY on an airplane being flown over frigid water and mountainous terrain. Wonder how much he'd charge for a new weight and balance? LOL.

Attachments

• receipt (2).jpeg
    receipt (2).jpeg
    301.7 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
It’s super easy. I’m not sure there is a YouTube video for a 182, but this may help.

Also get in touch with a local EAA chapter. There should be guys willing to have an Alaska White to get oily with.

I confused you with Cheechako, he has the same engine analyzer I do on the 180. My 182 has the same dual probe EGT/CHT you have.
How often are you doing oil changes? I do roughly 50hours which is 2-3 months ish. Less when it’s 10 below.

It’s super easy. I’m not sure there is a YouTube video for a 182, but this may help.

Also get in touch with a local EAA chapter. There should be guys willing to have an Alaska White to get oily with.

I confused you with Cheechako, he has the same engine analyzer I do on the 180. My 182 has the same dual probe EGT/CHT you have.
How often are you doing oil changes? I do roughly 50hours which is 2-3 months ish. Less when it’s 10 below.

50 hours or 4 months is what I’m going for. Unlikely that it will fly more than 100 hours per year.

Back