1500 hr rule going away??

Sure... and you will be able to fly the hell out of a coupled ILS to mins or a V1 cut. But when stuff goes wrong that forces you to think outside the box, or make good decisions, you'll be completely lost. I watched it happen to many low time hire FOs all the time.

See I disagree with this too. Any new FO to 121 or jets whether 250hrs or 3000hrs has that same puzzled look on their face when something goes wrong. They are not comfortable with the plane or the operation. The decisions I have to make in 121 are different than those when I fly my Cessna.

If I have an engine failure in the Cessna I better start looking for a field. In 121 you plan accordingly and land when able. Cessna flying is largely VFR and 121 obviously isn't. Throw a 20k hr captain in a Cessna after 25yrs of no GA flying and you will think he'd never flown before. Throw a 20K hr GA guy in a 121 jet and he will look like he's never flown before. It has to do with the environment you are comfortable with.

See I disagree with this too. Any new FO to 121 or jets whether 250hrs or 3000hrs has that same puzzled look on their face when something goes wrong. They are not comfortable with the plane or the operation. The decisions I have to make in 121 are different than those when I fly my Cessna.
Yes and no. I'm a 3000 hour new 121 jet FO and when things have gone pear shaped, I'm still a little behind the curve. But I can draw from previous experience and start being a productive FO. Example, had a medical emergency on a flight the other week and before the captain even asked, had AIRINC dialed up and took over Comm 1 as PF. Granted, the rest of how that was handled I still had a puzzled look but knowing to ask Center for no delay, and how to feel comfortable with what was going on, even as a first type of emergency for me was because of my experience. If I was a 250hr wonder, I know my ability to be a productive crew member would have been very limited.

If I've said it once, I've said it a million times: as a captain I flew with lots of high time CFIs and lots of 250 hour wonders; some of the best copilots were the low timers and some of the worst were the high timers. Doesn't matter whether you're talking normal clear-and-a-million day, or a day when the fecal matter hit the fan. Everyone just wants to pat themselves on the back for the way in which they got to that airliner cockpit. But sorry, guys, your 2,000 hours of CFI time probably didn't do much of anything to prepare you for an airliner cockpit, except for maybe giving you some good stories to tell the other guy you're sitting there with.

If I've said it once, I've said it a million times: as a captain I flew with lots of high time CFIs and lots of 250 hour wonders; some of the best copilots were the low timers and some of the worst were the high timers. Doesn't matter whether you're talking normal clear-and-a-million day, or a day when the fecal matter hit the fan. Everyone just wants to pat themselves on the back for the way in which they got to that airliner cockpit. But sorry, guys, your 2,000 hours of CFI time probably didn't do much of anything to prepare you for an airliner cockpit, except for maybe giving you some good stories to tell the other guy you're sitting there with.
A million times?

A million times?

parksandrecreation-chris-traeger-literally-192x128.jpg

In fact they did! It's part of the latest east coast expansion. I think our next east coast hub will likely be in Altoona, PA, so the company can corner the O&D traffic that is going from there to Palm Springs currently. I'm excited about the opportunities at California Pacific, even though I'm going to be based in LAX for the first month.

Awesome! That is going to be a HUGE plus for you being DTW based, aside from the whole "engines under the wings" thing of course. Id sure hate to be a commuter trying to get into Altoona. If California Pacific does LAS overnights, you know what to do.

Ain't no joke. I work at California Pacific, @Dergs at WidgetCo.

They pay money yet? Or y'all working pro bono? I have the company in airlineapps but since they haven't actually started flying... not really willing to risk losing 6+ years of seniority.

Hey Bedford, how about pay your pilots and see how quickly you'll stimulate job creation!

There isn't a pilot shortage. There is a shortage of pilots willing to work for wages so low they qualify for food stamps.

As an aside, Bedford is a giant ass hat. His airline received the regional airline of the year award from ATW in Singapore a number of years ago. ATW staff had been asking time and again for the list of attendees at his table. He never provided them, and then the night of the event, he wondered why there were no name tags for his guests.

Duh.

Don't provide the names, don't expect name tags.

121 people usually look at me like I'm insane when I say "yeah I'm going to go putz around in a (whatever) on at least one of my days off".

Er, well, sorry, I love to fly. I love the Brasilia and its various warts, but sometimes it's nice to go out single pilot and look at the beach at 1,000', or whatever.

I've heard this from a number of people at airlines. It's more fun to fly slow and low with no particular place to go.

Back