1500 hr rule going away??

Not sure if i agree that someone who timebuilds a c152 for 1250 hours and then goes into an RJ is in a much more favorable position than someone who got into the RJ at 250h has constant training that includes stall recognition and recovery etc..

Well here is the list of things I do better now at 1500TT than I did at 250TT...

#1: everything.

...sure I've flown with good pilots that had less than 500 hours and I've flown with awful pilots who had north of 2,000... And I do agree that GA and 121 jet are completely different animals. But pilots are now being forced to polish those PIC skills to a higher degree than a few years ago. Who would you want at the front of your next RJ... A pilot with only a few hundred hours of actual PIC experience or a pilot that has at least 1,000 hours of making decisions for himself that directly affect the safety/outcome of the flight and potentially their career?

Of course they may not do away with the 1500 rule, but there will be a variation allowing low-timers in. The industry is just greasing the wheels with the politicians to get the ball rolling. Just because they pass a rule(1500hr in this case) doesn't mean they can't come up with an alternate way to get people in the FO seat with low time. MPL is the industry answer.

The airline industry will argue technology will make up for human error. By 2017 we are supposed to have driver-less cars on the road. The public can and will believe the notion that technology will make up for any past mistakes pilots and avert any possible errors by low-timers.

Good example is the 3rd class medical and HR 3708. It will allow more people to fly on their drivers license means more pilots in GA. Does anyone think more planes are going to fall out of the sky? Nope, It may take awhile but it will happen...

Some food for thought.

By 2017 we are supposed to have driver-less cars on the road.

By 2001, we were supposed to have sentient computers that go on murderous rampages while investigating ominous obsidian obelisks.

Hopefully, we'll dodge this bullet, too.

Funny thing about the future....by the time we get there, some things reveal themselves to be just bad ideas. Flying cars, for example.

Richman

"Of course they may not do away with the 1500 rule, but there will be a variation allowing low-timers in."

Didn't they already do this with the restricted ATP? I'm asking since it is still relatively new and I'm not sure if any of those folks have made it into the pipeline yet.

Also, having just started following the industry, I had never heard of the MPL until this thread. I see it's been around a while on the other side of the ditch. It hasn't seemed to gain any traction here. Is it a dead issue or still being reviewed? Thanks.

David

Back