Delta plans to open Saab 340 base at Atlanta hub!

CRJDriver

Delta plans to open Saab 340 base at Atlanta hub
By Brendan Sobie

Delta Air Lines is preparing to open a new Saab 340 base in Atlanta to replace the 12 ATR 72s that are now in the process of exiting the carrier's regional fleet.

Industry sources say that moving some of the 49 Saab 340Bs operated by Northwest Airlines subsidiary Mesaba Airlines to Atlanta is part of the new network and fleet plan that Delta and Northwest are finalising in the lead-up to their merger. The two carriers plan to complete their merger by year-end and will begin shifting aircraft between their hubs next year to exploit network synergies.

Delta seeks turboprops in Atlanta so it can restart its lucrative service to Hilton Head Island in South Carolina, which it is dropping when the last ATR 72 exits its regional fleet at the beginning of December. Hilton Head's runway is too short for regional jets and Delta's withdrawal will leave US Airways subsidiary Piedmont Airlines, which operates Bombardier Dash 8s, as the only carrier serving the popular resort.

Delta is also interested in reintroducing turboprops on several short-haul routes from Atlanta such as Myrtle Beach that Delta is now switching from ATR 72s to regional jets. Jets are not seen as the ideal aircraft on these routes given current oil prices. Sources say a solution seriously being looked at and expected to be implemented is basing several Mesaba 340s at Atlanta. Mesaba now flies out of Northwest's hubs Minneapolis, Detroit and Memphis but the merger opens up new opportunities for it to start feeding Delta.

Sources say Mesaba has indicated all 49 of its Saab 340s, which are leased from the manufacturer, will continue to fly after the merger. But over the long term the merged Delta-Northwest is expected to look at new turboprops. Northwest was evaluating new turboprops, including the ATR 72-600, late last year and early this year but stopped looking after it unveiled plans to merge with Delta.

Sources say Delta was satisfied with the ATR's performance but were keen to close the books on a three-way transaction that was forged when the ATR 72 entered service with Delta's then subsidiary Atlantic Southeast Airlines. Delta sold ASA in 2005 but retained ownership of four of the ATR 72s. The other eight were leased by ASA, but under the terms of the original deal ATR was committed to eventually taking back all 12 aircraft. ATR confirms it has an agreement to take all the aircraft back and says it is now working to remarket them, with several carriers outside North America having expressed interest.

Meanwhile, regional jets are being singled out more than any other aircraft type as Delta and Northwest work on a post-merger fleet plan. Delta earlier this year unveiled plans to remove 70 regional jets from its network, many of which have already been phased out. Managing director of network planning Joe Esposito warns: "It will actually be north of that when we complete our business plan this year".

Northwest has already reduced its McDonnell Douglas DC-9 and Boeing 757 domestic fleets. Delta is also now looking to remarket two 767-300s, which Esposito says will come out of the international fleet in November. But he says there are no plans to sell additional widebodies this year or in 2009 and that Delta plans to continue expanding its international operation.

http://www.flightglobal.com/article...ans-to-open-saab-340-base-at-atlanta-hub.html

Wow, didn't see that one coming! I figuered they would go for Q400's to replace the ATR's in ATL. I was also sure they would bring the Saabs to CVG to operate out of the C terminal. CVG route structure is perfect for the Saabs, due to there being a lot of short routes to and from CVG. I hope you Mesaba Saab guys like gritts and sweet tea!:D

Good to see Mesaba getting that flying. I know Mesaba is more tied in to the long term delta/nw plan than Colgan so it makes sense. [

Wow, didn't see that one coming! I figuered they would go for Q400's to replace the ATR's in ATL. I was also sure they would bring the Saabs to CVG to operate out of the C terminal. CVG route structure is perfect for the Saabs, due to there being a lot of short routes to and from CVG. I hope you Mesaba Saab guys like gritts and sweet tea!:D

Because that would make sense with Detroit being the biggest saab domicile and international NWA hub.:rolleyes:

Lots of flights are going to start getting shifted to ATL next year. People think ATL is busy now its going to be REDICULOUS when the merger is complete and the music stops for DCI.

Good to see Mesaba getting that flying. I know Mesaba is more tied in to the long term delta/nw plan than Colgan so it makes sense.
Does this necessarily mean that Mesaba is getting the flying? It says that Delta is "moving" the Saabs to ATL, not that they're moving Mesaba to ATL. Could it be that ASA gets the Saabs and picks up the flying, maybe transferring some Mesaba crews over to ASA?

Does this necessarily mean that Mesaba is getting the flying? It says that Delta is "moving" the Saabs to ATL, not that they're moving Mesaba to ATL. Could it be that ASA gets the Saabs and picks up the flying, maybe transferring some Mesaba crews over to ASA?

Yeah I don;t see it say that anywhere either. However, Mesaba is owned by NWA right? Thus owned by Delta. ASA is not. Would make more sense to give it to Mesaba I guess.

Lots of flights are going to start getting shifted to ATL next year. People think ATL is busy now its going to be REDICULOUS when the merger is complete and the music stops for DCI.

Maybe, maybe not. ATL is pretty saturated as it is. Go to MEM three times a day, and every gate is EMPTY. To me, that's wasted space that could be used as a reliever for ATL. It's possible they might move more flights to MEM rather than ATL since MEM has the space to handle the extra flights. I don't get tossed in a holding pattern when it's clear and a million in MEM. Can't say the same for the -900 guys that fly in ATL. Hell, a lot of the times I'll be on downwind, approach will say "Airport's 9 o'clock 5 miles," and when I call it, I get cleared for the visual before I'm even abeam the numbers. That never happens in DTW or MSP. I try to help myself out by calling the airport early, and I get "Roger." Then I fly another 10-12 miles on downwind before getting a base turn. Even with FedEx coming in, that's not a hugely common thing in MEM.

Maybe, maybe not. ATL is pretty saturated as it is. Go to MEM three times a day, and every gate is EMPTY. To me, that's wasted space that could be used as a reliever for ATL. It's possible they might move more flights to MEM rather than ATL since MEM has the space to handle the extra flights. I don't get tossed in a holding pattern when it's clear and a million in MEM. Can't say the same for the -900 guys that fly in ATL. Hell, a lot of the times I'll be on downwind, approach will say "Airport's 9 o'clock 5 miles," and when I call it, I get cleared for the visual before I'm even abeam the numbers. That never happens in DTW or MSP. I try to help myself out by calling the airport early, and I get "Roger." Then I fly another 10-12 miles on downwind before getting a base turn. Even with FedEx coming in, that's not a hugely common thing in MEM.

That's because nobody wants to go to Memphis.

For an airline to want a hub there has to be people that want to to/from MEM. The place is a dump. I could see that base being canibalized when the merger is complete.

That's because nobody wants to go to Memphis.

For an airline to want a hub there has to be people that want to to/from MEM. The place is a dump. I could see that base being canibalized when the merger is complete.

Not really true. I mean...Detroit? Cincy? CLEVELAND!?

A hub is just there to transit people to someplace else.

I don't see them bringing those turbo-props to ATL. Because the ATR guys are getting trained on the CRJ's around ASA's fleet. Also where are you going to put more airplanes in ATL? There already isn't enough space for us RJ guys.

I doubt MEM will be used as a reliever to ATL. I see the exact opposite, MEM being turned from hub to "focus city."

ATL is not saturated. ATL actually has room for more flights, especially with the cut backs in capacity that have already been made. After the merger I see ATL going from a DAL "superhub" to a DAL "super-superhub":D

This is because the New Delta is planning for ATL to be its main international gateway. DAL 747s and A330s will be a very common sight in ATL within the next year. Which means more feed will be required from DCI.

Lastly, ATL is building two new terminals, a new international terminal and another one that supposed to be AirTran's. So in terms of capacity the sky is the limit for ATL.

I'm sorry bro, but I was waiting for the "FLAVA FLAAAAAAAAAV!" :)

I would think the 747s and A330s would continue to be used on the Asia routes NWA has. Hubbing them out west would make more sense than ATL no? Like SEA or LAX.

I don't see them bringing those turbo-props to ATL. Because the ATR guys are getting trained on the CRJ's around ASA's fleet. Also where are you going to put more airplanes in ATL? There already isn't enough space for us RJ guys.

Yup, and considering who owns the gates on the north end of C, and a large chunk of the north end of D.

Whatever. . .I'm not surprised. I'm just holding on long enough to find other employment elsewhere.

Back