Delta plans to open Saab 340 base at Atlanta hub!

I doubt MEM will be used as a reliever to ATL. I see the exact opposite, MEM being turned from hub to "focus city."

ATL is not saturated. ATL actually has room for more flights, especially with the cut backs in capacity that have already been made. After the merger I see ATL going from a DAL "superhub" to a DAL "super-superhub":D

This is because the New Delta is planning for ATL to be its main international gateway. DAL 747s and A330s will be a very common sight in ATL within the next year. Which means more feed will be required from DCI.

Lastly, ATL is building two new terminals, a new international terminal and another one that supposed to be AirTran's. So in terms of capacity the sky is the limit for ATL.

I was wondering what that construction area was for around the airport. In that case, is there construction orders for more runways?

I would think the 747s and A330s would continue to be used on the Asia routes NWA has. Hubbing them out west would make more sense than ATL no? Like SEA or LAX.

Rumors have some 767s going out west but most Asian flights operating out of JFK.

Yup, and considering who owns the gates on the north end of C, and a large chunk of the north end of D.

Whatever. . .I'm not surprised. I'm just holding on long enough to find other employment elsewhere.

No need, ASA isn't going anywhere. We'll need all the pilots we can get when ATL DCI feed expands after the merger.

I was wondering what that construction area was for around the airport. In that case, is there construction orders for more runways?

I've heard nothing about new runways. I don't think there any room for another runway:D

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="97%"><tbody><tr><td width="532">Master Plan Summary<!-- InstanceEndEditable -->
</td> <td width="41"> </td> <td width="176"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td align="left" valign="top"> <!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="Content 1" --> To define a new vision for Hartsfield-Jackson through 2015 and beyond, a new Master Plan was developed. Taking into consideration the Airport's impact on the environment and the economy of the surrounding communities and the southeastern region, this "working document" will ensure we meet future growth and remain compliant with the aviation industry. Created to respond to changing market conditions and global opportunities, the Master Plan's flexibility allows us to identify critical needs and respond quickly to the demands of the growing aviation industry.

In the coming years, Hartsfield-Jackson will give its current facilities a face-lift as well as construct additional facilities to accommodate growing traffic demands and provide its passengers with a world class traveling experience. This program will assure that Hartsfield-Jackson maintains its global leadership role. The Master Plan identifies several key projects, which are:

bullet.jpg
Fifth Runway,
bullet.jpg
International Passenger Terminal,
bullet.jpg
Consolidated Rental Car Facility,
bullet.jpg
South Gate Complex,
bullet.jpg
Support Facilities, and
bullet.jpg
Enhanced roadway access

The Master Plan was incorporated into the development plan currently underway at the Airport.
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Does this necessarily mean that Mesaba is getting the flying? It says that Delta is "moving" the Saabs to ATL, not that they're moving Mesaba to ATL. Could it be that ASA gets the Saabs and picks up the flying, maybe transferring some Mesaba crews over to ASA?

SkyWest OWNS ASA not Delta. Delta will OWN Mesaba after the merger. ASA doesn't have Saab 340's on their certificate thus can't just give them to ASA. It would cost millions. Not to mention XJ has lower operating costs due to the fact 60% of the pilot group has under 3 years longevity. Even with our snap backs making us one of the highest paid regionals there isn't the longevity to have alot of people at the top of the pay chart.

Transfering a Mesaba crew to ASA is like transfering a USAir crew to United they are different companies owned by different companies. Mesaba is the only one with Saabs in the combined route network.

It also makes sense from the stand point of international travel to have the saabs connect those destinations to ATL. As opposed to MEM then having to connect to ATL any way. Most of the places we serve out of MEM could probably be served from ATL any way.

No need, ASA isn't going anywhere. We'll need all the pilots we can get when ATL DCI feed expands after the merger.

Um, what? So far, Delta's been hinting the "golden boys" in the merger are gonna be Compass and Mesaba. I'm betting they keep ASA right at the limits of the percentage laid out in the sale to Skywest. We're more or less planning on zero growth here unless we can beg, borrow or steal a contract with another carrier. ASA isn't going anywhere, but I wouldn't hold my breath on a huge growth explosion post merger.

I don't think anyone, mainline or connection is going to experience any post merger growth. On the contrary, it's like two households combining and throwing out cookware because who needs TWO chafing dishes, TWO collanders, TWO gravy boats, and so on and so on...

Hey, I don't have a gravy boat! :)

Chafing dishes are hella convenient if you do any entertaining! Plus, Sterno is fun to watch when you've got a beer buzz.

This is because the New Delta is planning for ATL to be its main international gateway. DAL 747s and A330s will be a very common sight in ATL within the next year. Which means more feed will be required from DCI.

I do not think more feed will come from DCI. That scope is nearly maxed out and secondly, the feeder stuff is way too much cost per seat mile compared to bigger, better, more capable aircraft.

More feed will mostly come from a CRJ becoming a DC-9 or an MD-88 becoming a B-757.

I do not think more feed will come from DCI. That scope is nearly maxed out and secondly, the feeder stuff is way too much cost per seat mile compared to bigger, better, more capable aircraft.

More feed will mostly come from a CRJ becoming a DC-9 or an MD-88 becoming a B-757.

Which is exactly what you want because it will create more jobs at the major level.

Um, what? So far, Delta's been hinting the "golden boys" in the merger are gonna be Compass and Mesaba. I'm betting they keep ASA right at the limits of the percentage laid out in the sale to Skywest. We're more or less planning on zero growth here unless we can beg, borrow or steal a contract with another carrier. ASA isn't going anywhere, but I wouldn't hold my breath on a huge growth explosion post merger.

Yeah I didn't mean for my post to sound like a growth explosion. Just that I don't think there will be furloughs here. IF the DCI flights out of ATL increase ASA/Skywest will probably get more flying due to the 80% clause, but I'm not counting on alot.

Yeah I didn't mean for my post to sound like a growth explosion. Just that I don't think there will be furloughs here. IF the DCI flights out of ATL increase ASA/Skywest will probably get more flying due to the 80% clause, but I'm not counting on alot.

Unless (please god or whoever let it be true) some of those DCI flights go mainline. Then ASA might stay the same size they are now. I honestly see that as more likely than an expansion at the regional level in ATL.

Unless (please god or whoever let it be true) some of those DCI flights go mainline. Then ASA might stay the same size they are now. I honestly see that as more likely than an expansion at the regional level in ATL.

In terms of expansion, I definitely believe that's not going to happen at the regional level. My theory is more of a shift of DCI flights with the "New DCI" If Delta is bringing 747s, A330s and new 777LRs into ATL more feed will be required.

I agree I'd rather have the new feed be mainline. Because as we all remember, the hiring spree last year was a result of the majors hiring ALOT of regional pilots, and not so much expansion.

Where are these planes going to park and hold in/around ATL? I would venture to say ATL as a hub is rather "saturated" whereas other hubs could take some more growth as far as volume and not become a constant EFC event (IMO).

I doubt MEM will be used as a reliever to ATL. I see the exact opposite, MEM being turned from hub to "focus city."

ATL is not saturated. ATL actually has room for more flights, especially with the cut backs in capacity that have already been made. After the merger I see ATL going from a DAL "superhub" to a DAL "super-superhub":D

Lastly, ATL is building two new terminals, a new international terminal and another one that supposed to be AirTran's. So in terms of capacity the sky is the limit for ATL.

I think they've put the "South Gate Complex" project in a holding pattern for now with Airtran pullin back; word around the campfire is after the merger, Airtran will get Northwest's D gates, which amounts to 4 if i'm not mistaken. Not alot, but enough for them to not pursue gates space at the new international terminal and if that's the case, then certainly not actively pursue a whole new terminal worth of gates.

Also, I think one of the problems w/ space in ATL is with the banks/pushes. I understand you want to maximize connections and minimize ground time but there are certainly enough gates to handle additional flights if they were spaced out more evenly throughout the day. When you get Airtran and Delta/DCI all trying to cram tens and hundreds of airplanes in and out within a matter of hours, it can get fun/very not fun in a hurry

I don't think anyone, mainline or connection is going to experience any post merger growth. On the contrary, it's like two households combining and throwing out cookware because who needs TWO chafing dishes, TWO collanders, TWO gravy boats, and so on and so on...

Awe, isn't that sweet! Doug is the consummate homemaker, talking about cookware. Time for you to bail on the mainline gig, and start setting up kitchens. :p

Wanna stop by my place.....I don't have any of those things. Oh wait, I do have a colander. Guess I'm on my way, as well. :buck:

I guess it is true! Got an email about it today. Still don't understand where they are going to park the planes at and who is going to operate them. Oh well, that's Delta's problem.

Back