Delta plans to open Saab 340 base at Atlanta hub!

I guess it is true! Got an email about it today. Still don't understand where they are going to park the planes at and who is going to operate them. Oh well, that's Delta's problem.

ATL is not full people. There are room for much more capacity. Concourse E & D for one has plenty of gate space. An airport like JFK doesn't have any more capacity. ATL does.

Awe, isn't that sweet! Doug is the consummate homemaker, talking about cookware. Time for you to bail on the mainline gig, and start setting up kitchens. :p

Wanna stop by my place.....I don't have any of those things. Oh wait, I do have a colander. Guess I'm on my way, as well. :buck:

Seriously. My second passion is cooking.

I'm just as excited at "Sur la Table" as I am over at a pilot shop sometimes!

Where are these planes going to park and hold in/around ATL? I would venture to say ATL as a hub is rather "saturated" whereas other hubs could take some more growth as far as volume and not become a constant EFC event (IMO).

Bingo. The jam ups don't really occur on the ground. It's in the air. Building more gates and another parking complex isn't gonna open up space over RMG or DIRTY.

I'm still not convinced until there's an official statement, rather than a guy who writes an article saying what has been speculated for a while. Even then, I'll really only believe it when it actually happens.

I know a few guys on the Saab that would love an ATL base, since they often have to commute through ATL anyway... but if they have to displace pilots, I've got enough CAs on the list below me that it shouldn't be an issue. :)

I'm still not convinced until there's an official statement, rather than a guy who writes an article saying what has been speculated for a while. Even then, I'll really only believe it when it actually happens.

I know a few guys on the Saab that would love an ATL base, since they often have to commute through ATL anyway... but if they have to displace pilots, I've got enough CAs on the list below me that it shouldn't be an issue. :)

Yeah I fear losing my relative seniority I've got locked in at MEM (life is pretty good for me right now). But if they hire another 600 people or something crazy like that, even if they close down MEM for the SAAB I should still be OK. Interesting times.

Smokin'

Same thing Jerry Atkins was smokin' when I talked to him. People in class even asked if he's sure there's more room. Yes there is. Looks can be deceiving...

The last several times someone 'important' came into one of my 121 classes and gave us some rumors, -- oh nevermind. Go ahead and believe all of it.

Whenever somebody "important" (CEO, DFO, etc.) comes to talk to one of our classes, they end up talking quietly, making eye contact only with the floor a foot in front of them, with their hands in their pockets.

Instill confidence and trust, it does not. :)

Re: Smokin'

The last several times someone 'important' came into one of my 121 classes and gave us some rumors, -- oh nevermind. Go ahead and believe all of it.

Yep. If I bought into it, we should have had a contract done two years ago (hey, the COO said we were "minutes away" from having it done in class), flying a lot of -900s for NWA (said that one, too) and be flying for United. Trust me, if management says it in a ground school class, odds are it's NOT gonna happen. It's normally the stuff they DON'T mention that does happen. "We have no interest in buying another carrier. We want to start our own non-union carrier from the ground up." Six months later, we buy Colgan. "We're going to lose the NWA flying if you don't sign this contract!" 2 weeks later, new ASA with NWA with MORE flying. "No other airline will touch us without a pilot contract. We need you to sign this." A month later, Delta flying is announced. Thing is, I heard rumors from pilots about all three of those WELL in advance of them happening. Management denied it up until the press conferences.

Back