minimum age thing

Narayan

I really honestly think you should have to be at least 21 for this job, in my opinion 18-20 year olds are for the most part immature and busy experimenting doing all the crap they couldnt do when they lived home with mom and dad. I honestly dont think most people start to mature up till they hit 21. Comments?

Re: minimum age thing, cause it can be called flame war,

yes, this thread is completely retarted and you should be banned from posting for a while. We are all now dumber for having read this, and may god have mercy on your soul.

(your threads are worse than raydons!)

two things, first i forgot a t in the title it should be cant instead of can, also i wasnt personally attacking you so why dont you attack the idea instead of attacking the me.

I really honestly think you should have to be at least 21 for this job, in my opinion 18-20 year olds are for the most part immature and busy experimenting doing stuff they couldnt do when they lived home with mom and dad. I honestly dont think most people start to mature up till they hit 21. Comments?

My honest opinion..... I know some 18-21 year old Marines that would love to argue with you about having the maturity and discipline to handle this job. Unfortunately, they are busy experimenting in far off lands doing things that they couldn't do back home at mom and dads house.

Thats all I want to say about this.

no one post on this dumb thread. Let's just let it die. The OP clearly has to much time. And I'm not upset cause I'm under 21. Im 25. I'm pissed cause I come on here for information and I don't wanna hear about your stupid opinions!!!!

Dont pull the military thing, i joined when i was 17, and you know what i could point out a <crap> load that dont have it together, and the military is also a bit more regimented than real life, your not given quite as much room to <screw> up as you would in the faa. Also if youve been in the military you probably know that just because the military does it doesnt mean its the best way.

It's a legit question, however unfortunately worded the title was.

I think that the application is currently worded so that it'd be rare for the typical 18 year old to make it in, regardless of an age limit, due to the need to show either three years of full-time college work or three years of progressive responsibility in a full-time work setting. I don't know any 18 year old who have either, and I knew plenty, due to my prior career in youth ministry. The question, though, is whether or not the FAA is holding to that requirement in the hiring process. I hope they are.

I know that at 18, even if I were to meet the requirements on paper, I personally would've been unqualified to understand the weight of the responsibilities a controller has. I also know that I wouldn't realize that I was incompetent to hold the job and would be irritated if someone brought up my age and maturity as a limiting facotr. But, if an 18 year old were somehow able to meet the three-year requirement -- legitimately -- then that'd go a long way towards convincing me that he or she could handle it. I'm sure there are people at the Academy and further who are much older and none too capable.

no one post on this dumb thread. Let's just let it die. The OP clearly has to much time. And I'm not upset cause I'm under 21. Im 25. I'm pissed cause I come on here for information and I don't wanna hear about your stupid opinions!!!!

Then don't read it. There're plenty of other threads here. ...on a side note, thanks for getting rid of your old avatar, it was disturbing. And not in a funny way.

I think you need a chill pill.... you see what the thread is about in title.....
If your looking for info in this thread....then you wont find it.

Seriously, its a message board. If the OP wants to discuss this, let him.

No hes right i really do have too much time, I really hope i get hired soon.

I don't care how old or young a person is as long as they're capable of performing the duties assigned to them.

Dont pull the military thing, i joined when i was 17, and you know what i could point out a <crap> load that dont have it together, and the military is also a bit more regimented than real life, your not given quite as much room to <screw> up as you would in the faa. Also if youve been in the military you probably know that just because the military does it doesnt mean its the best way.

whoa.... didn't see that coming.

What...on Gods Earth Would make you think your given room to f-up in the FAA? at 18....27....or 56....

I'm not gonna argue the military thing with you.... period.

I also take offense to the Military is more regimented than real life comment....

My enlistment in the Marine Corps was very real.

In the military for instance your time is managed for you, forcing you to study, ect. In the faa i doubt there will be any weekend passes as you can do whatever you want when your off(academy vs tech school, not talking about after your training), no housing inspections, ect. Its also common knowledge that the military is more regimented than civilian life brew, plus i know first hand.

It's a legit question, however unfortunately worded the title was.

I think that the application is currently worded so that it'd be rare for the typical 18 year old to make it in, regardless of an age limit, due to the need to show either three years of full-time college work or three years of progressive responsibility in a full-time work setting. I don't know any 18 year old who have either, and I knew plenty, due to my prior career in youth ministry. The question, though, is whether or not the FAA is holding to that requirement in the hiring process. I hope they are.

I know that at 18, even if I were to meet the requirements on paper, I personally would've been unqualified to understand the weight of the responsibilities a controller has. I also know that I wouldn't realize that I was incompetent to hold the job and would be irritated if someone brought up my age and maturity as a limiting facotr. But, if an 18 year old were somehow able to meet the three-year requirement -- legitimately -- then that'd go a long way towards convincing me that he or she could handle it. I'm sure there are people at the Academy and further who are much older and none too capable.

Then don't read it. There're plenty of other threads here. ...on a side note, thanks for getting rid of your old avatar, it was disturbing. And not in a funny way.

Ill have to second that, when I saw it I was immediately sick to my stomach, and I was starting to look for another forum to browse.

Can some on clue me in on what a flame war is? It must be some geeky internet forum posting thingy?

I really honestly think you should have to be at least 21 for this job, in my opinion 18-20 year olds are for the most part immature and busy experimenting doing all the crap they couldnt do when they lived home with mom and dad. I honestly dont think most people start to mature up till they hit 21. Comments?

I'm 18 and probably more mature in life then you are. Lets see, I already have my commercial license, going for my multi commercial this week. I got a job waiting for me as an FO for a small airliner at my airport. I own a lawn care business that brings in about $65,000 in sales a year. All of this has made me very mature in the past year and if I wasn't mature then all of that would of not been accomplished in one year. I probably have more experience with air traffic control then many of the people on here and I think I can out do many on this job. I know what to expect and I know what will happen if I do get the job.

Others might not agree but I do agree that the age limit should be bumped up. I see how many kids that are 18 that wash out of military ATC and the environment is structured for you! I just don't think at 18 you are in the right mind set to be working for the FAA. But I guess its good they have the work experience and such to weed through people. I know every one doesn't make it even that have the experience, I have a buddy with military ATC experience and couldn't land a job with the FAA.

You got a point craptastic but this <edited> who started the thread thinks everyone who is 18-20 are immature and aren't capable to maintain a professional job.

I'm 18 and probably more mature in life then you are. Lets see, I already have my commercial license, going for my multi commercial this week. I got a job waiting for me as an FO for a small airliner at my airport. I own a lawn care business that brings in about $65,000 in sales a year. All of this has made me very mature in the past year and if I wasn't mature then all of that would of not been accomplished in one year. I probably have more experience with air traffic control then many of the people on here and I think I can out do many on this job. I know what to expect and I know what will happen if I do get the job.

Sounds good man!

to the age critics:

I am 18 too. Ive been a restaurant manager within a family business for three years and my age was kept confidential because of people like you guys judging on age. This restaurant brought in over a million a year and voted HAWAIIS BEST for the past 8 years, then I moved to 911 dispatcher and emergency response. I think the whole age thing is just a psychological issue, because if you see our experience and knowledge but dont see our NUMBER of years, then it would not make a difference in the world. If your qualified your qualified. I took the ATSAT and passed when I was 17 years old. They knew that. They still pushed me through. I went through a I even had an interview with the Facility manager in HNL already. I dont even think anyone had interviews yet.. The FAA manual says, in order to be licensed as an AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER you must be 18 years old. But you may start training and so on if by the time completed you will be 18.

Back