minimum age thing

Re: minimum age thing, cause it can be called flame war,

Sounds good man!

to the age critics:

I am 18 too. Ive been a restaurant manager within a family business for three years and my age was kept confidential because of people like you guys judging on age. This restaurant brought in over a million a year and voted HAWAIIS BEST for the past 8 years, then I moved to 911 dispatcher and emergency response. I think the whole age thing is just a psychological issue, because if you see our experience and knowledge but dont see our NUMBER of years, then it would not make a difference in the world. If your qualified your qualified. I took the ATSAT and passed when I was 17 years old. They knew that. They still pushed me through. I went through a I even had an interview with the Facility manager in HNL already. I dont even think anyone had interviews yet.. The FAA manual says, in order to be licensed as an AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER you must be 18 years old. But you may start training and so on if by the time completed you will be 18.

I forgot to mention how many of you people saved 18 lives and lost 4? I think thats a big responsibility no? To understand the requirements and consequences of a job. Saving lives tops it off.

hehe...you started a flame war.. lol

yea i did, but oh well.

No, not "oh well".

We don't do flame wars here. This website was founded on the idea of educating people and "paying forward" when you've been helped by others. Flame wars and inane bickering don't belong in Doug's living room. We are working really hard not to be like many forums where that kind of thing is tolerated. Please help us working towards that goal.

This might be a good time for everyone to review The Rules.

I think they should ban narayan's IP address from the forum, obviously he is not mature enough to be here then how could he when it comes to Air Traffic Control.

I'm 18 and probably more mature in life then you are. Lets see, I already have my commercial license, going for my multi commercial this week. I got a job waiting for me as an FO for a small airliner at my airport. I own a lawn care business that brings in about $65,000 in sales a year. All of this has made me very mature in the past year and if I wasn't mature then all of that would of not been accomplished in one year. I probably have more experience with air traffic control then many of the people on here and I think I can out do many on this job. I know what to expect and I know what will happen if I do get the job.

You sound way more qualified then me, and a lot of I'd on here. Your some kind of ATC genius! Oh and by the way.....congrats on the awesome AT-SAT score

IMHO, the OP does have a valid point, and he probably knew a thread like this would break down into a flame war because of the following:

1.) The vast number of under 21 year old kids that will argue anything
2.) The few under 21 year old adults that take offense because the OP hasn't meet anyone like them yet.
3.) The military crowd that should not of been forgotten Ooh-Rah!!

That all being said, I was able to sign up for OTS hiring at 17 years old, not that there was any announcements at that time. I would have said I was grown up enough to handle an ATC job. However, I would say that anyone that has the work experience and is willing to try to because an ATCS, let them, we will see who is really mature enough at the academy because that is were the FAA will be able to weed out all non-hackers, and if you make it through the academy and then get to your facility and can't hack it there you also get thrown out of the FAA.

You may qualify for this position on the basis of work experience, college education, or a combination of both. TO QUALIFY BASED ON WORK EXPERIENCE, INTERESTED INDIVIDUALS MUST DOCUMENT THREE YEARS OF PROGRESSIVELY RESPONSIBLE FULL-TIME (40 HOURS PER WEEK) EXPERIENCE THAT DEMONSTRATES THE POTENTIAL FOR LEARNING. Progressively responsible experience might include for example: an increase in leadership duties, working with less supervision, or an increase in financial responsibility. You are encouraged to include any experience that is directly related to the air traffic control occupation. TO QUALIFY BASED UPON EDUCATION, APPLICANTS MUST DOCUMENT A FULL 4-YEAR COURSE OF STUDY LEADING TO A BACHELOR'S DEGREE. You may also qualify by combining your work experience and college credits; one year of undergraduate study (30 semester hours or 45 quarter hours) is equivalent to 9 months of general work experience.

I think the announcments are worded just as they should be. I don't think the average 18 year old would do so well in ATC, but the young men (and hopefully young ladies) on this forum are far from average. The above description weeds out the less qualified applicants, and leaves us with the prodigies - I am 100% ok with that.

Sometimes I think there is WAY to much testosterone on this forum. It was just his opinion.

Oops, I just gave my opinion. Let's see who get bent out of shape first. :D

You sound way more qualified then me, and a lot of I'd on here. Your some kind of ATC genius! Oh and by the way.....congrats on the awesome AT-SAT score

Ahh thanks I did do pretty good, the test definitely tells a person how good of a controller they will be.:sarcasm:

I love lumping everyone into one category just because of their age.

But i'll keep it plain and simple, most 18 year olds cant maintain a job for 3 years of full time experience. So that weeds out those that dont have the work ethic.

Then going through all the hoops of waiting and applying, and testing weeds out those other candidates. Next, actually going to oklahoma and maintaining yourself through school by yourself will take a little more than just a positive attitude by someone my age. Next, once you're all done, you're able to get fired for your first year or so at your facility, so there weeds out even more. I'm not saying the system is perfect, but i dont think you're dealing with the average 17, 18, or 19 year old when it comes down to those that are CPC's and started at 17, 18, or 19.

Just my honest opinion....

And i'm 17....and am testing for the AT-SAT next week.

I say let their work dictate your opinion on younger aged people rather than just their age....

Ahh thanks I did do pretty good, the test definitely tells a person how good of a controller they will be.:sarcasm:

Hey man I agree with you. I'm 20, have my instrument/commercial and think I can make a good ATC. Butttt...... Dont get to cocky. No need to list off your resume. Alot of these people on here are in their mid to late 20's and are bummed that us youngins are getting in and they arent.

So be the bigger person and just let it go.

Good luck with everything,

Chris

Hey man I agree with you. I'm 20, have my instrument/commercial and think I can make a good ATC. Butttt...... Dont get to cocky. No need to list off your resume. Alot of these people on here are in their mid to late 20's and are bummed that us youngins are getting in and they arent.

So be the bigger person and just let it go.

Good luck with everything,

Chris

Listen, "Youngin".... You are kind of talking like you are all prodigies and God's gift to ATC.... Remember...you are competing with people that have an honorable discharge, a four year degree and over 3 years of work experience.

My point is...You don't know who's getting hired and what their qualifications are. You also don't know if you will be hired.

I think people get too hung up on a persons age. Your age is just the number of years you have been alive and that's it. Just because you are an 18 year old does not mean you are 18 and the same goes with a 25 year old. Just because you are 25 years old does not mean you are 25. Or just because you are an 30 year old does not mean you are 30, same goes for those in their 40s, 50s, 60s, etc.

It all has to do with your personal background. How you were raised (one parent versus two, strict or liberal parenting), where you were raised (city vs. rural, big city vs. small city, etc.), your personal experiences in terms of schooling, work, friends, relatives, and life experiences. All of these things, and others, go into making everyone of us the person we are.

I would agree that most 18 year old's would not be ready to do this type of job, however I would bet that those who have applied are are older in terms of maturity and life experiences and are ready to do this job. So, I will have no problem working next to an 18 yr old should that be the case. Besides, chances are, those who can't do this job will wash out no matter their age.

Its the person we are not the age we are that is important.

I think most people are morons most of the time. If you are 18 I think you probably aren't qualified to do this job, even if you meet the qualifications. I think if you are 25, you are probably not qualified even if you meet the qualifications.

Therefore, your age is irrelevant to me, because I think you are retarded either way.

I just hope most of the people who do get hired care more about performing their job than complaining about the other morons(myself included) they work with.

P.S. My opinion matters most because I have been running the family auction company since I was 4 years old and switched to being a fireman when I was 6 and continued until I was 11. During that time I saved 12,034 lives. At that point I became bored with the mundane nature of it all and joined the LAPD. During my career I busted 3 Auto theft rings, siezed over 3 Billion Dollars worth of illegal drugs and killed 47 people in the line of duty. I retired from the PD at 17 years old. None of this made me qualified to perform this job. The ONLY reason I am qualified is because at the Age of 18, after retiring from the PD I joined the Marines. This makes me the most qualified person to walk the face of the earth. Now I think I am ready to single handedly work all air traffic located over the continental United States at any given time.

Listen, "Youngin".... You are kind of talking like you are all prodigies and God's gift to ATC.... Remember...you are competing with people that have an honorable discharge, a four year degree and over 3 years of work experience.

My point is...You don't know who's getting hired and what their qualifications are. You also don't know if you will be hired.

I'm pretty sure within the next 4 PUBNAT announcments or my CTI when i graudate I will get hired.

Theres no "PUBNAT2 or Bust" for me

LMAO..... I'm glad I didn't Pay 70k for a job that I could get off the street.

LOL....you are going to buy your job....now you tell me who the smart one is...

LOL depending on a program he'll have a BS when he's done and you may not.

In the military for instance your time is managed for you, forcing you to study, ect. In the faa i doubt there will be any weekend passes as you can do whatever you want when your off(academy vs tech school, not talking about after your training), no housing inspections, ect. Its also common knowledge that the military is more regimented than civilian life brew, plus i know first hand.

What branch are you talking about? In the Air Force, regular active duty and even in tech school there is no "forced studying". Sure your expected to know information as in the FAA but HOW you learn it is up to you. If it takes you coming home from class and studying until you go to sleep fine, if you can absorb it all in class great for you. In your off time you CAN do whatever you want, as long as you dont leave the "local area" (which is decided depending on the base, which here is roughly 200 miles) without being on leave. Our dorm inspections were MAYBE once a month and just a check to make sure you diddnt have old milk in the refidgerator that was becoming sentient or smuggling in pets. If you want to live like a slob then be a slob, its your room. Sure you have to go do "military" things every now and then like retreat and change of commands buts for the most part its a regular every day job but with more of a rank structure. None of which matters at the scope, only whos in what position. I tell the flight commander who works with us what to do all the time

LOL depending on a program he'll have a BS when he's done and you may not.

I deleted my post...and you got to it...before I did.
However, I have a B.A. already....and something to fall back on.

and as far as the CTI thing goes... just as many of cti grads wash out at centers as off the street applicants.....(so says the person in management that I reside with)... and if he does have a B.S. in atc....then I hope he makes it. Because that degree is worthless outside of this career field.

70k? Who says I'm paying 70k? Metro States CTI program in denver is about 1/3 of that price. Do your research buddy.

Plus Ill have a 4 year degree to fall back on.

70k? Who says I'm paying 70k? Metro States CTI program in denver is about 1/3 of that price. Do your research buddy.

Plus Ill have a 4 year degree to fall back on.

You know what... you're right. I won't knock you for earning a degree you have yet to earn.. It is a great accomplishment no matter the major.

As far as the price.... I did research it...embry riddle costs about that much.

Finally, as a University of Wyoming grad...and you being from Colorado...Please tell me you are not a CSU fan...

Back