Flight Attendant Jumpseater Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alchemy

You're the captain. A F/A from your company appears in the jetway toward the end of the boarding process of one of your flights. She tries to go straight to her seat but your f/a notices her jumpseat form and tells her she needs to check in with you, so she comes up to the cockpit. She is an attractive girl, in her 20's, wearing a t shirt with the sleeves rolled up, and the bottom scrunched up to expose a bare midriff. She also has on plastic looking open toed heeled shoes, and blue jean cutoff shorts. This is a clear violation of jumpseat attire per company rules. You examine her ID and jumpeat for and notice she is fairly new, having been employed by the company for about 8-9 months.

What do you do?

Let her ride... never mess with someone going to work, vacation, or more important... home. I'd make a comment along the lines of "I don't have a problem with it, but the next guy probably will..." and politely remind her of the dress code.

It's nothing worth getting my blood pressure up over.

Give her the bounce.

Basically, it's like this. If your flight attendant mentions that you enabled her to ride as a jumpseater outside of the required attire, you're privy to get some time off for that. No point in 'taking one for the team' when the chief pilot is going to ask, "Well Alchemy, about this report from In-Flight, what does the FOM say about who is eligible to ride the jumpseat?"

You're the captain. A F/A from your company appears in the jetway toward the end of the boarding process of one of your flights. She tries to go straight to her seat but your f/a notices her jumpseat form and tells her she needs to check in with you, so she comes up to the cockpit. She is an attractive girl, in her 20's, wearing a t shirt with the sleeves rolled up, and the bottom scrunched up to expose a bare midriff. She also has on plastic looking open toed heeled shoes, and blue jean cutoff shorts. This is a clear violation of jumpseat attire per company rules. You examine her ID and jumpeat for and notice she is fairly new, having been employed by the company for about 8-9 months.

What do you do?

Are you kidding???
After I welcome her aboard and make sure she finds her jump seat in the cockpit. I would advise her of the company policy against wearing anything that could distract the flight crew. :D I would then inform her that there is going to be some discipline however lucky for her I will be the one providing it. :bandit:

...aaaaaand when the chief pilot calls after the flight attendants talks to her inflight supervisor about it, you'll use the "Oh, camaaaaaaaan!" defense against it! ;)

Seriously man, "being cool" isn't worth losing your job for an FOM violation. Even the union has no power in saving you if you willfully and knowingly break the FOM.

But, but, Doug, didn't you see the way she was dressed? Please!!! Just this one time and I promise we'll deny boarding next time. PLEASE!!

What do you do?

Employed 8-9 MONTHS??!! I think she (or he, for that matter) would know the rules, then. Can we please stop babying crewmembers who should know better? Supposedly we're all adults and have read ALL of the rules. Sheesh.:rolleyes:
Sorry, but I'm a little tired of people who claim "not to know." Many people need to step it up a bit! Some guys/gals make it VERY easy for the company to discipline or get rid of them.

Let her ride... never mess with someone going to work, vacation, or more important... home. I'd make a comment along the lines of "I don't have a problem with it, but the next guy probably will..." and politely remind her of the dress code.

It's nothing worth getting my blood pressure up over.

To heck with that! Just because because somebody wants to get home doesn't give them permission to be an idiot!

Employed 8-9 MONTHS??!! I think she (or he, for that matter) would know the rules, then. Can we please stop babying crewmembers who should know better? Supposedly we're all adults and have read ALL of the rules. Sheesh.:rolleyes:
Sorry, but I'm a little tired of people who claim "not to know." Many people need to step it up a bit! Some guys/gals make it VERY easy for the company to discipline or get rid of them.

I really think THAT is the key to profitability for most airlines...hire people who give a damn. If word got out that there was an airline that had nothing but professionals, they'd be unstoppable. Gate agents who actually wanted to help, flight attendants with at least a 9th grade grasp on English grammar, pilots who wore their uniform correctly and actually didn't mind answering questions for people who have them.

We can dream, eh?

I think this thread is demeaning to women. Just because she's a flight attendant doesn't mean she's hot. Just because she dresses like a skank doesn't mean she is one. What would you do if a guy showed up with a bare midriff? Would you let him on just once.
Men are pigs.

Ian honey come look at what these morons are saying now.

I kid I kid...kinda.

Wait... if she's works for the same company as you do, why is she jumpseating? Or do you mean on the extra jumpseat some of the Jungle Jets have? As for the original story, I would agree it's not worth letting her on in her current attire. If we weren't pushing up against our departure time (and maybe even if we were), I'd see if she can go grab something more appropriate from her bag and go change and then come back. I really hate denying somebody a ride home (or to work for that matter) but it really isn't worth the hassle I may have to deal with down the road.

Side note:

Our non rev attire rules completely fell apart after the merger. It used to take business casual just to get on the plane as a non rev (let alone in first class) but now, thanks to the "vacation airline" mentality that prevails from the SandCastle it's not uncommon to see non revs in jeans, a tshirt and sandals.

I would likely let her on, but only after taking her into the jetway and explaining how her attire is inappropriate. Plus, I would ask if she had something more appropriate in her bag to change into, but I wouldn't take a delay for it.

That, or just throw a cup of scalding hot water on her.

I would just tell the gate to list her as a non rev since there are open seats. End of FOM problem.

I would just tell the gate to list her as a non rev since there are open seats. End of FOM problem.

A couple of questions:

a. How long of a delay would you take for this?
b. What if the gate says, "Oh man, what's the big deal?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back