Pinnacle to resume classes!!!

Center: "Sir are you able direct POLAR?"
/A plane: "No sir, but we are radar vector equipped if you'd like."

If these kids would ever wake up early enough to hear FedEx or UPS they are asking for vectors all night long. Also NWA 9s.

Center: "Sir are you able direct POLAR?"
/A plane: "No sir, but we are radar vector equipped if you'd like."

That sounded like me one night. ATC asked if we were RNAV equipped and I told well, "Your NAV plus My NAV = RNAV.....Sounded like he was going to fall out of the chair and cleared us DIRECT when able...I love being radar vector equipped...:D

I found the glass cockpit transition to be no problem at all. Went from the 1900 to the q400. I had no ''glass'' cockpit or autopilot experience prior to this.

By early you mean 7:30a right?

Dude those -9 drivers WORK FOR THEIR PAYCHECKS! I've ridden up front from Detroit to Newark a few times on them and there's NOTHING automated about that contraption. Heck the FO's don't even have heading select, they roll around the country using the roll knob AND LIKE IT.

I wish I was flying one of those things...

That sounded like me one night. ATC asked if we were RNAV equipped and I told well, "Your NAV plus My NAV = RNAV.....Sounded like he was going to fall out of the chair and cleared us DIRECT when able...I love being radar vector equipped...:D

OH MAN, I'm definitely busting that one out sometime. Good stuff right there! :laff: :D

Dude those -9 drivers WORK FOR THEIR PAYCHECKS! I've ridden up front from Detroit to Newark a few times on them and there's NOTHING automated about that contraption. Heck the FO's don't even have heading select, they roll around the country using the roll knob AND LIKE IT.

I wish I was flying one of those things...

ALB - DTW jumpseated on the -9 and the Capt handflew to FL240 and then from 240 down. Seems like a "pilots" airplane to me, wish I was there.

You guys should have seen those guys ferrying DC-3s across the North Atlantic at night during WW2, they were such badasses.

I like to fly later in the night or early in the morning. ;)

Center: "PDT****, radar contact, well, direct to destination." :D
Me: "can't receive VOR signal from 200 miles out, care to give us heading?"

Center:"Fly *** heading, advise when receive VOR signal" ;)

I believe the course was created for two reason

1. To help pilots adapt to a crew environment
2. The big one, to ease the transition from a six pack panel to highly automated glass panel cockpit.

Sorry, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

These courses were set up for one thing and one thing only. It was not to "help" pilots, it was set up to help AIRLINES. The type of candidates that the airlines were/are seeking were having trouble passing training and they were tired of wasting time and effort retraining newhires. They arranged agreements with certain flight schools to provide (remedial) training for people seeking employment with the contracted (regional) airlines.

When the independent flight schools saw there students being lured away by such "shiny jet" advertisements they decided to cut their losses and join the bandwagon.

Im hoping you mean they don't know how to properly cross wind land a CRJ-200 not they don't know what a cross wind landing is.

Well, I'd hope they use rudder in the 172 they trained in. They sure didn't use ANY in the CRJ. So, I'd say the answer would be "They don't know how to cross wind land."

Well, I'd hope they use rudder in the 172 they trained in. They sure didn't use ANY in the CRJ. So, I'd say the answer would be "They don't know how to cross wind land."

Ah, I've seen that happen before. Lemme guess, they landed with crab still in and that whole plane swerved toward the center line almost scraping the wing.

Ah, I've seen that happen before. Lemme guess, they landed with crab still in and that whole plane swerved toward the center line almost scraping the wing.

Actually, it was more of a "why do I keep drifiting" type thing, followed by 5-6 degree heading changes, followed by a pretty stiff bank at 20 feet off the ground. It was ALMOST followed by a coronary from the CA, but CFI instincts took over and he grabbed the controls to save the landing.

This was all going on as said CA was trying to coach the FO on how to set up for a cross wind landing in the CRJ. Too bad it was one of those guys that has the "I know it all" attitude. I think he tuned me out about half way through. Problem is, the jet courses probably don't go that in depth into cross wind landings and such, the guy only had about 280 hours COUNTING OE, and lately the winds have either been calm or right down the runway. Which means the check airman doing his OE had probably never even seen a cross wind landing by the guy.

...the guy only had about 280 hours COUNTING OE, and lately the winds have either been calm or right down the runway.
If they insist on hiring these student pilots, the LEAST they could do is not let them touch anything but the Gear Handle and PTT for their first 1000 hrs in type, and only let them fly with Captains with a MEI and over 2000 PIC in type.

How do the captains out there feel about working with a 280hr FO that has gone through the "jet course"?

If they insist on hiring these student pilots, the LEAST they could do is not let them touch anything but the Gear Handle and PTT for their first 1000 hrs in type, and only let them fly with Captains with a MEI and over 2000 PIC in type.

The two best IOE's guys at my company don't have any CFI's (I,II,MEI), but they both were AF IP's.:D

Back