Airlines with furloughs

meyers9163

So it got me thinking about the current state. Obviously not all the furloughs are official at many places yet we all can speculate and have done so. It made me wonder if I have all the companies with furloughs down.

Companies with current furloughs: PSA, TSA

Pending Furloughs: Airways, UAL, CAL, Airtran, Xjet, AWAC, Comair, American, Midwest, Spirit

Companies expecting to hire: SWA, DAL, PDT, GoJets

Uncertain: RAH, Mesa, GO, Colgan, Lynx, Horizon, Alaska, ASA, SKW, Pinnacle, Mesaba, Compass, Jetblue, AE, Commutair

So I guess I am wondering if any of the companies I listed as "uncertain" have made internal emails/communications about how they are combating the reductions with mainline etc? Obviously all companies are fighting with the current fuel prices etc. However others have made it more known about their status of having furloughs. I wonder as being a newbie as to why some companies are already stating their expectation to furlough while others seem some what "secure?" Guess more so wondering because it seems like just about all the above companies did mad hiring and did not slow until this recent fuel development.

Just for the record, GoJet has plans to hire so they can staff their new airplanes they are supposed to get. I assume they are purposely left off the list but hell, maybe not.

Just for the record, GoJet has plans to hire so they can staff their new airplanes they are supposed to get. I assume they are purposely left off the list but hell, maybe not.

Did you apply there yet? I know you were considering it.

So it got me thinking about the current state. Obviously not all the furloughs are official at many places yet we all can speculate and have done so. It made me wonder if I have all the companies with furloughs down.

Companies TU: ATA, Aloha, Champion, Skyway, Bigsky, EOS, Skybus

Companies with current furloughs: PSA, TSA, Suncountry

Pending Furloughs: Airways, UAL, CAL, Airtran, Xjet, AWAC, Comair, American, Commutair, Midwest, Spirit, Frontier

Companies expecting to hire: SWA, DAL, PDT

Uncertain: RAH, Mesa, GO, Colgan, Lynx, Horizon, Alaska, ASA, SKW, Pinnacle, Mesaba, Compass, Jetblue, AE

So I guess I am wondering if any of the companies I listed as "uncertain" have made internal emails/communications about how they are combating the reductions with mainline etc? Obviously all companies are fighting with the current fuel prices etc. However others have made it more known about their status of having furloughs. I wonder as being a newbie as to why some companies are already stating their expectation to furlough while others seem some what "secure?" Guess more so wondering because it seems like just about all the above companies did mad hiring and did not slow until this recent fuel development.

Here at XJ we are still taking delivery of our 900's and aren't staffed yet for all of them. We over staffed a little in '07, but due to the planes coming in it will work it self out and we will take some new hires on board later this summer.

I don't think you can take any one off the uncertain list however I think CP and XJ are in a unique position to weather the storm.

pennyaf1.png
pennyaf1.png

Did you apply there yet? I know you were considering it.

No, mostly considering leaving the country for a year or so (maybe more if it works out that way) to experience more of the world and get away from all of this for a while. Right now just working part time and getting my stuff together to get outta the U.S.

As far as Horizon goes, all of our Dash 8 200's will be parked in Oct. The phase out of the RJ's will start in Oct. as well. I know they have offered an early out incentive for RJ CA with 18+ years. No official "F" word dropped yet and it hopefully never will be.

No, mostly considering leaving the country for a year or so (maybe more if it works out that way) to experience more of the world and get away from all of this for a while. Right now just working part time and getting my stuff together to get outta the U.S.

Where are you trying to go?

Not sure if they have started yet but a couple in MSP alone are:

Sun Country
Champion (charter outfit)

Companies with current furloughs: PSA, TSA

Pending Furloughs: Airways, UAL, CAL, Airtran, Xjet, AWAC, Comair, American, Commutair, Midwest, Spirit

Companies expecting to hire: SWA, DAL, PDT

Uncertain: RAH, Mesa, GO, Colgan, Lynx, Horizon, Alaska, ASA, SKW, Pinnacle, Mesaba, Compass, Jetblue, AE

No furloughs have been announced or are expected at C5.

Sorry about the commut air I thought I read somewhere with the CAL cutbacks they were expecting. Mean I put GO i forgot about the GO in HA and was meaning Gojets. SO those are two of my mistakes. So no one takes this thread personally I am starting it also for those who are thinking about applying to see what airlines are possibly going to be hiring as well and what options they might have. So input is greatly appreciated.

I did not know much about the Cargo world and 135 so if anyone wants to place stuff on here about those as options that'd be great as well.

Not sure if they have started yet but a couple in MSP alone are:

Sun Country
Champion (charter outfit)

See the bold in my above post that I added to the list.

Champion = the gone since May

Suncountry has 45 people on furlough

I don't think you can take any one off the uncertain list however I think CP and XJ are in a unique position to weather the storm.

If i was at CP (I assume thats compass) I wouldnt feel safe. I heard that NW can flow down and displace 90% of their list. And with NW announcing about 10% reduction in flying plus the unknown of the DAL merger, I would seriously be worried if i was a CP pilot.

If i was at CP (I assume thats compass) I wouldnt feel safe. I heard that NW can flow down and displace 90% of their list. And with NW announcing about 10% reduction in flying plus the unknown of the DAL merger, I would seriously be worried if i was a CP pilot.

I would cost way to much to furlough and have multiple training events per furlough. With the deliveries of the 787's and Delta's 777's it will more than offset parking all the DC-9's under DAL's work rules. Unless they plan on being furlough for several years I don't see them needing to do that. Compass it self is going to be stable it's just what DAL/NWA do.

On a side where did you get the picture of the Express I A model Saab in the ditch? Let me know if you know where I can get a full sized version it's hilarious!!!

But you're assuming that once DAL and NWA dont cut back any of there schedules. I am sure there will be plenty of overlap. Whenever there is a merger in any industry, reductions happen. And I am sure NW/DL isnt immune to it.

PM your email, i will send it to you.

As far as QX goes, I rode up front on them a few days ago. Stu (checkairman) and Matt (getting IOE). They said they are parking the jets and furloughs are expected/planned.

Rumor has it FedEx has tossed the F word around, they've already reduced monthly guarantee by 4 hours I think it is..

On a side where did you get the picture of the Express I A model Saab in the ditch? Let me know if you know where I can get a full sized version it's hilarious!!!

This is the accident that happened in MEM many years ago.

http://www.rob.com/pic/oops/oops3.jpg

The mechanics forgot to set the brakes when they moved it. Rolled back and ...:banghead:

This was when Mike Brady was riding high and before his outfit, Sky Warriors, had the T-34 crash.

Internal memo came out that they're probably gonna start interviewing at Pinnacle again, just not as often as they were before (like every two weeks instead of every week). Guys that have been hired are in a pool now, and if we do start interviews again, I'd expect a pool for that as well. I think it's all dependent on our Delta flying in ATL, and who honestly knows what's going on with that. Our on-time peformance has gotten better significantly. According to the newest DOT report, we're #2 in on-time behind Hawaiian.

If we lose the Delta flying, then we're looking at possible downgrades and base shifting. Honestly, I think we're still slightly short staffed, so I don't think the F-word is gonna be tossed around. Even if we wind up over staffed, I don't think we'll furlough. Would cost too much to put 50 or so guys on the street only to re-call them a few months later when attrition takes care of that number. We've had a decent number of guys saying "F this, I'm out" lately.

Besides, if we were actually over staffed for the first time ever, people might actually be able to drop/swap! :)

Back