Airlines with furloughs

What the heck is wrong with that? The guy has 300 hrs and wants to build time and experience fast. I see nothing "unbelievable" about his statement. Should he just stay at a closer base like MEM, fly less and smell the roses? Everyone on here preaches experience, why knock a guy for wanting to get?

9/10 the guys with this attitude have the learning switch set in the "off" position. Try to teach them something, but they already know everything. They know just enough to get themselves in a hole but not enough to get themselves out of it. It's that type of attitude that leads to accidents and incidents. Too many guys think "Well, I passed JetU, I've got a type rating and I've made it through my SIC ride at a 121 regional. I'm ready to upgrade now, so all I need to do is fly a lot and meet the mins." The problem is, they don't pay attention on those "time building" hours. You're not building TIME, you're building EXPERIENCE. Problem is, a lot of these guys in the "when can I upgrade" camp don't see it that way. It's almost an entitlement mentality.

I ask just about every captain I fly with to let me know what I can improve on. Heck I have even told them to not worry about sounding like an arse. I'm a big boy, I can handle it.

I ask just about every captain I fly with to let me know what I can improve on. Heck I have even told them to not worry about sounding like an arse. I'm a big boy, I can handle it.

I did that regularly as well, when I was an FO. I'd ask them to sound off and let me know if you see something I should/ shouldn't be doing! Otherwise, how are you going to learn?

In my opinion it has a lot to do with not only putting it out there that you're willing and want to learn, but it sets the right tone.

As a student pilot, I always said the following words to my instructor before we even got into the plane. "Don't hesitate to correct me right when I screw up, otherwise waiting an hour or an hour and a half after the fact I very well may not remember exactly what I did."

It always worked for me. I also made it extremely clear to all of my students to be humble and up front with me, and any other instructor they flew with. They got the idea, and essentially begin telling me the same thing. "Correct me now, not an hour or two hours later or during a debrief."

Now in the 121 environment, setting the cockpit tone is key to both of us (FO and CP) being on the same playing field when it comes to doing something stupid.

If you're the first one to say "Look man, I'm a big boy, if you see something stupid or if you have any bits of wisdom to pass along - don't hesitate to pass it along right when I screw up" it's obviously a humbling experience, but it'll usually develop a similar response from the Captain in regards to him doing something that you don't like.

Really comes down to setting the right tone for a good CRM environment.

Me too. When you stop learning, then maybe complancency is the next step??

Same here. The vast majority of FOs I fly with are cool beans, but there are a few that seem to believe they have already upgraded or talk about it constantly.

These cats need to do their job, learn, be cool and relax. In the end it really is just a job. Have fun and enjoy the journey I say.

Same here. Most are really fun to fly with perceptive and insightful as you can be with <1000hrs. Its the ones that want the prize with out running the race. They are usually the ones that don't get the big picture and like to cut corners. For most of their sake I'm glad they aren't uprgrading right now.

That's a good practice, but please don't say it to your check airman when you're on IOE. It's all I can do to keep from laughing when someone tells me that on their first day of IOE.

That's a good practice, but please don't say it to your check airman when you're on IOE. It's all I can do to keep from laughing when someone tells me that on their first day of IOE.

So needless to say, you wouldn't like the "My ego's at home... in the bedroom" *wink* during the brief? :)

(No, I did NOT say that but I heard it once!)

So needless to say, you wouldn't like the "My ego's at home... in the bedroom" *wink* during the brief? :)

(No, I did NOT say that but I heard it once!)

Haha, I would laugh at that one. Really though, if a checkairman is worried about sounding like an ass, he/she has no business being a checkairman.

Back