Airlines with furloughs

Internal memo came out that they're probably gonna start interviewing at Pinnacle again, just not as often as they were before (like every two weeks instead of every week). Guys that have been hired are in a pool now, and if we do start interviews again, I'd expect a pool for that as well. I think it's all dependent on our Delta flying in ATL, and who honestly knows what's going on with that. Our on-time peformance has gotten better significantly. According to the newest DOT report, we're #2 in on-time behind Hawaiian.

If we lose the Delta flying, then we're looking at possible downgrades and base shifting. Honestly, I think we're still slightly short staffed, so I don't think the F-word is gonna be tossed around. Even if we wind up over staffed, I don't think we'll furlough. Would cost too much to put 50 or so guys on the street only to re-call them a few months later when attrition takes care of that number. We've had a decent number of guys saying "F this, I'm out" lately.

Besides, if we were actually over staffed for the first time ever, people might actually be able to drop/swap! :)

I love how Pinnacle wouldn't interview me because I didn't meet their min's. They sent me an email with the whole "you're gonna need to take a jet transition course if you want to get an interview" BS. I called them after I got that email and asked one of their recruiters if the fact that I had an SIC type rating and a couple hundred hours in a jet already would suffice for waiving the min's and of course they said no and that I would indeed need to take a jet transition course. Brilliant really. Sorry, not attacking you or anything, just find their agreement with these stupid flight schools to be ridiculous.

I love how Pinnacle wouldn't interview me because I didn't meet their min's. They sent me an email with the whole "you're gonna need to take a jet transition course if you want to get an interview" BS. I called them after I got that email and asked one of their recruiters if the fact that I had an SIC type rating and a couple hundred hours in a jet already would suffice for waiving the min's and of course they said no and that I would indeed need to take a jet transition course. Brilliant really. Sorry, not attacking you or anything, just find their agreement with these stupid flight schools to be ridiculous.

I agree...........

I have second hand info regarding a "jet transition course" company and some folks in a particular companies training department moonlighting as sim instructors at said "jet transition course" company. It involved quite a bit of money.

All second hand, of course.

I believe there is a school now marketing a B1900 (I think) certification course that includes time on the Elite sim....and a graduation certificate.

Air Wisconsin just sent out a PIF to all the pilots, they estimate 84 pilots will be furloughed.... that sucks for me, since i'm like 40 from the bottom...

Dude, no attack taken. I agree with you 100%. I know guys that have been CFIing, teaching instrument students and dealing with busy airspace with 800-900TT and 300ME, and I couldn't get 'em a job here b/c they didn't meet some crazy minimum. They even got the "if you take a jet course we'll interview you" BS. Meanwhile, we've got guys with less than 200TT and less than 100 PIC time getting hired here asking "when am I gonna upgrade."

Dude, no attack taken. I agree with you 100%. I know guys that have been CFIing, teaching instrument students and dealing with busy airspace with 800-900TT and 300ME, and I couldn't get 'em a job here b/c they didn't meet some crazy minimum. They even got the "if you take a jet course we'll interview you" BS. Meanwhile, we've got guys with less than 200TT and less than 100 PIC time getting hired here asking "when am I gonna upgrade."

I 100% agree. That doesnt make any sense. I know a guy flying King Air's with around that kind of time and hasnt been called by PNCL yet.

I 100% agree. That doesnt make any sense. I know a guy flying King Air's with around that kind of time and hasent been called by PNCL yet.

Sad but true. Steve and I have had this discussion. Had everything they needed. However would not take an RJ course and never got an, "come to an interview e mail." However had interviews with AWAC, PSA, ASA and RAH. Yet Pinnacle was a no go. Amazing how its happened.

Sad but true. Steve and I have had this discussion. Had everything they needed. However would not take an RJ course and never got an, "come to an interview e mail." However had interviews with AWAC, PSA, ASA and RAH. Yet Pinnacle was a no go. Amazing how its happened.

Exactly, and those are good places. I dont get it at all.

Meanwhile, we've got guys with less than 200TT and less than 100 PIC time getting hired here asking "when am I gonna upgrade."

those are THE worst! there was a kid in newhire initial when i was in upgrade. He lived in georgia, but was going to DTW. I asked why, he said "because there is more flying up there. So i can build my time and upgrade".....he got hired on at 300 hours!!!! I told him to relax, enjoy being an FO and your time will come to upgrade with you not having to worry about base jumping to build time faster. Unbelievable!

Oh man. Shoulda heard one of the APDs going off about some of those guys during my fed ride. Said he was doing an oral for a new hire, and the guy kept asking "so, when do you think I'll be able to upgrade." His response: "Son, you gotta get through me first, then you've got sims, a check ride, OE, probation and a whole lotta learning to do. Might wanna focus on that so you don't find yourself at McDonald's."

those are THE worst! there was a kid in newhire initial when i was in upgrade. He lived in georgia, but was going to DTW. I asked why, he said "because there is more flying up there. So i can build my time and upgrade".....he got hired on at 300 hours!!!! I told him to relax, enjoy being an FO and your time will come to upgrade with you not having to worry about base jumping to build time faster. Unbelievable!

What the heck is wrong with that? The guy has 300 hrs and wants to build time and experience fast. I see nothing "unbelievable" about his statement. Should he just stay at a closer base like MEM, fly less and smell the roses? Everyone on here preaches experience, why knock a guy for wanting to get?

Marcus. . .dude. . .#### we need to get together for some drinks STAT! And bring our mutual friend RH along too. . .I have a feeling that guy can drink.

Dark clouds are forming comrade, aint nothing we can do about it.

This issue it appears is at the apparent lack of tact and inability to be somewhat humble when flying a machine that very quickly can kill someone with that type of attitude. I'm sure you'll agree - you don't want to be sharing a cockpit with one of "those" guys.

Right? I sure as hell don't.

What the heck is wrong with that? The guy has 300 hrs and wants to build time and experience fast. I see nothing "unbelievable" about his statement. Should he just stay at a closer base like MEM, fly less and smell the roses? Everyone on here preaches experience, why knock a guy for wanting to get?

It's why he wants the experience is the problem... There are many FOs so hurried to upgrade they forget to do their current job. For some reason, many stop learning and think they know it all now that they are airline pilots. I don't know why there are more cases of the "I special syndrome" now or maybe it just seems that way and I am getting old. I flew with a FO that was so excited to upgrade as soon as possible, but he barely (couldn't without help) fly an ILS. Until we talked about it, he didn't recognize that he would be on his own with somebody like him and that without improving his skill set that he would probably kill himself and a bunch of people, too.

Sometimes we just need to be sat down and told what the hell is going on - after failing.

It's a harsh reality, but works miracles in the military.

Why we should be nice and soft with college educated kids with $100,000 worth of education and flight training loans is beyond me.

I'm thankful some Captains have the balls to come right out and say stuff, because I expect them to do. You see me do something totally ####ing stupid, GET ON MY ASS about it.

Then again, maybe I realize emotions have no place in the cockpit - so I don't take things personal if I'm dicking up. 50+ people in the back depend on OUR collective decision making and overall competence.

Nevertheless. . .I digress. You experience Captains duke this one out. :)

It's why he wants the experience is the problem... There are many FOs so hurried to upgrade they forget to do their current job. For some reason, many stop learning and think they know it all now that they are airline pilots. I don't know why there are more cases of the "I special syndrome" now or maybe it just seems that way and I am getting old. I flew with a FO that was so excited to upgrade as soon as possible, but he barely (couldn't without help) fly an ILS. Until we talked about it, he didn't recognize that he would be on his own with somebody like him and that without improving his skill set that he would probably kill himself and a bunch of people, too.

Same here. The vast majority of FOs I fly with are cool beans, but there are a few that seem to believe they have already upgraded or talk about it constantly.

These cats need to do their job, learn, be cool and relax. In the end it really is just a job. Have fun and enjoy the journey I say.

Sometimes we just need to be sat down and told what the hell is going on - after failing.

It's a harsh reality, but works miracles in the military.

Why we should be nice and soft with college educated kids with $100,000 worth of education and flight training loans is beyond me.

Nobody seems to like personal responsibility these days!

I'm thankful some Captains have the balls to come right out and say stuff, because I expect them to do. You see me do something totally ####ing stupid, GET ON MY ASS about it.

Every captain I've flowing with after OE has been like this - have had a couple get short with me in tight situations but afterward, 'Hey man, I appreciate you looking out for me. Sorry if I sounded too short with you!'

Hmm....methinks we got sidetracked a bit... ;)

Good deal gt. Everyone I've encountered thus far have been great and a real joy to fly with.

I haven't had anyone get on my ass - yet - but It's bound to happen. Trouble is, most of these cats we're talking about - don't think that they can do any wrong and then they get all teary-eyed after someone jumps down their back about doing something stupid (Heard about 3 stories each from ALL of my OE Captains about such situations, at various phases of flight). Toughen up kids, this isn't College or a Frat (or a Sorority), this is real life death machine ####. ;)

Back