Repeal Age 65

Patrick

The turmoil that this industry can create for itself has always been mind boggling, however, whats interesting is the significant change in demand for pilots over the last year, heck, the last 6 months.

Age 65 was enacted to help the airlines operate and minimize staffing issues, however, now in the current climate with almost stagnant hiring and the possibility of furloughs, one can argue that repealing Age 65 would be a benefit for the economy as a whole by minimizing layoffs and furloughs, and keeping at least some hiring ongoing.

Whats everyone else think of my brilliance?

What's the incentive for someone who is of the age of 60+ to retire though? Where are the great retirement packages located? I really do not see it happening. Many are working past 60 for the same reason you and I work, to cover bills. So many cuts took place after 9/11 and thus retirement packages and incentives are really not even close to where they should be in order to persuade one to retire.

I never said there was a reason for those age 60+ to retire, and yes I understand that for the ones who are still flying they are doing it for the same reason we are, I'm simply bringing up the idea that the economy as a whole would be better off seeing the next generation getting hired into employment.

Mandatory retirement at 60 was the best thing airline pilots had going for them. Now they went off and screwed that up too.

I never said there was a reason for those age 60+ to retire, and yes I understand that for the ones who are still flying they are doing it for the same reason we are, I'm simply bringing up the idea that the economy as a whole would be better off seeing the next generation getting hired into employment.
Why would the next generation be helping the economy? Beacuse they work for lower and lower wages? How badly do you want that RJ job? Sorry for the dig, but welcome to serious aviation. Do not repeal age 65, and do not repeal the deregulation. The market will balance eventually. We have a "Major" (SWA), and a "Legacy" (Delta) able to turn a profit in this market, so let the market be where it may.

Yes, it will be painful for some people, but the last thing I want is more government involved. They've screwed up enough on their own...why do people continue to say the government will bail us out? We are the government, remember?

If people aren't willing to pay proper prices for airline travel, then close up capacity and make it to where the people who will pay the premium to get there now will pay.

Yes, some young bucks will not be able to fly RJ's at 300TT, but sorry, welcome back to reality. Let the market fall where it may...including the housing market...I won't go there in this thread, but suffice it to say, I don't agree with bailouts from an in-debt government.

Anyways, my monthly contribution to JC...;)

I think thats an extremely selfish idea.

I dont know how it would "minimize layoffs, and furloughs."

It would just lay people off at the top instead of the bottom. Forcing guys who got screwed after 9/11 even worse.

Why would the next generation be helping the economy? Beacuse they work for lower and lower wages? How badly do you want that RJ job? Sorry for the dig, but welcome to serious aviation. Do not repeal age 65, and do not repeal the deregulation. The market will balance eventually. We have a "Major" (SWA), and a "Legacy" (Delta) able to turn a profit in this market, so let the market be where it may.

Yes, it will be painful for some people, but the last thing I want is more government involved. They've screwed up enough on their own...why do people continue to say the government will bail us out? We are the government, remember?

If people aren't willing to pay proper prices for airline travel, then close up capacity and make it to where the people who will pay the premium to get there now will pay.

Yes, some young bucks will not be able to fly RJ's at 300TT, but sorry, welcome back to reality. Let the market fall where it may...including the housing market...I won't go there in this thread, but suffice it to say, I don't agree with bailouts from an in-debt government.

Anyways, my monthly contribution to JC...;)

:yeahthat:

BTW- Does anyone know what percentage of the pilot workforce the 60-65ers represent? Just curious.

:yeahthat:

BTW- Does anyone know what percentage of the pilot workforce the 60-65ers represent? Just curious.

At my airline, now, there's probably less than 5. But then most of the people that had 20 years in or were over 50 and had made a little scratch bolted. We've got a relatively young pilot group. Other airlines, I have no idea.

At my airline, now, there's probably less than 5. But then most of the people that had 20 years in or were over 50 and had made a little scratch bolted. We've got a relatively young pilot group. Other airlines, I have no idea.

Now if you're talking flight attendants, I think that number is a little higher ;-). Actually I've noticed a lot of what I assume to be new hires working lately. Nice to have a little less anger and jadedness on the flights :)

There were two new hires one flight. One was 22 and the other was 55. The 55 year old, career changer, did a fantastic job, had a great time doing it and probably sold a lot of tickets. Now the 22 year old was more interested in another flight attendant, how she could party without spending much money, meeting some baller on a sports charter, and already disliked passengers... and it was her third flight.

Great assertion, now support it with evidence and reasoning.

Agreed.

I think thats an extremely selfish idea.

I dont know how it would "minimize layoffs, and furloughs."

It would just lay people off at the top instead of the bottom. Forcing guys who got screwed after 9/11 even worse.

Also agreed.

I see most arguments against Age 65 as moderately selfish and lacking in forward thinking. I know I haven't been jaded yet by the rigors of regional hell or whatever else gets some of the people on here riled up, but really, does anyone still fly for the love of flying? Are you not going to be rather disappointed when you are forced to retire, regardless of the age?

Repealing Age 65 would only be a bandage fix anyway. The root causes of what's going on have very little to do with the rule. Attempting to fix root causes yields better reactions than trying to pick at the periphery.

Yes, but look at it this way. Would you rather have a regional job right now, or a major gig in a few years.

Just think of the pilot demand the majors will have in five years. I say, wait a little longer for that RJ job in exchange for a better chance of getting on with a major airline in a few years.

There were two new hires one flight. One was 22 and the other was 55. The 55 year old, career changer, did a fantastic job, had a great time doing it and probably sold a lot of tickets. Now the 22 year old was more interested in another flight attendant, how she could party without spending much money, meeting some baller on a sports charter, and already disliked passengers... and it was her third flight.

Is that a 22 yr. old flight attendant or pilot??? Gonna guess FA, right?

Now the 22 year old was more interested in another flight attendant, how she could party without spending much money, meeting some baller on a sports charter, and already disliked passengers... and it was her third flight.

Sounds like she would fit in well here ;-)

Back