jtrain609
Antisocial Monster
That's a fairly long and complicated discussion that I've been having with Emily for the last few weeks.
You've got on one hand the group of folks (like Doug) who say, "Don't jump from company to company! Get in, get your TPIC time and get out. The company threatens furlough to get you to give up your pay rate and work rules, so don't buy the hype! You will most likely have nothing happen to you."
Then you've got folks on the other side of that discussion that say, "If you see things crashing down around you, don't wait to bail! If you do, the folks junior to you will be senior at the next company!" Amber's husband saw this, and made the jump to Delta from TWA. In hindsight, good move.
Right now I'm waiting to see what happens, though with the latest bit of information we got today about our board of directors, it's not looking pretty. There's a part of me that isn't willing to do this job for any less, and that's exactly what I'd be doing if I left this place and went somewhere else. There's also the very realistic chance that I'd be flying an even larger aircraft for less money than I am currently. There's another part of me that says "get out now, you need health insurance!" but who's to say that I won't simply be on the bottom of another seniority list when the furlough bus pulls up to that place and starts hauling folks off.
Honestly? I figure if I'm booted out the door, I've got options. What's the WORST thing that happens to me?
-ExpressJet furloughs.
-I can't get on at Compass.
-I can't get on at Republic.
-I can't get on at Mesaba.
-I don't go back to Amflight (even though I'm eligible for rehire)
-I can't find a flight instructing job
-I can't get a job as a ski instructor
-I can't get into grad school
-I can't get a job doing IT
If all that happens, then, well, I can pretty much replace my income while working at Wendy's, so I'm not gonna stress TOO much. But there are plans A through H.
You've got on one hand the group of folks (like Doug) who say, "Don't jump from company to company! Get in, get your TPIC time and get out. The company threatens furlough to get you to give up your pay rate and work rules, so don't buy the hype! You will most likely have nothing happen to you."
Then you've got folks on the other side of that discussion that say, "If you see things crashing down around you, don't wait to bail! If you do, the folks junior to you will be senior at the next company!" Amber's husband saw this, and made the jump to Delta from TWA. In hindsight, good move.
Right now I'm waiting to see what happens, though with the latest bit of information we got today about our board of directors, it's not looking pretty. There's a part of me that isn't willing to do this job for any less, and that's exactly what I'd be doing if I left this place and went somewhere else. There's also the very realistic chance that I'd be flying an even larger aircraft for less money than I am currently. There's another part of me that says "get out now, you need health insurance!" but who's to say that I won't simply be on the bottom of another seniority list when the furlough bus pulls up to that place and starts hauling folks off.
Honestly? I figure if I'm booted out the door, I've got options. What's the WORST thing that happens to me?
-ExpressJet furloughs.
-I can't get on at Compass.
-I can't get on at Republic.
-I can't get on at Mesaba.
-I don't go back to Amflight (even though I'm eligible for rehire)
-I can't find a flight instructing job
-I can't get a job as a ski instructor
-I can't get into grad school
-I can't get a job doing IT
If all that happens, then, well, I can pretty much replace my income while working at Wendy's, so I'm not gonna stress TOO much. But there are plans A through H.