Pilot arrested with gun in his bag (aka why KCM will be going away)

They should handle these things like they’re are protecting the planes and people and not as if they’re protecting the president! Unload the gun, confiscate it, take the ”offender’s” info and let the airline handle it. If you do this, you’ve done your job TSA!
A crime was committed and it's a strict liability offense—and your objection isn't to TSA here, it's to the Metropolitan Airports Commission, who made it a strict liability offense. Civil penalties or other TSA actions aside, that is.

"huh, gee, I wonder why that might be something of a big deal" (this is public, before anyone starts wringing their hands):

Screenshot 2023-12-02 at 17.50.36.png

At the end of the day, just giving the person a mere ‘slap on the wrist’ and go on about your day assumes that the person that brought the weapon did so mistakenly and not for nefarious purposes.

Maybe I’m too 9/11/PSA 1771/FDX 775/“Amma shoot you eight times, reload and shoot you eight more times if I see you squirming if you divert” paranoid to “Just leave your weapon here and come on back to the checkpoint after your pairing is done”

How did he get the taser there in the first place? Or did he start his trip there?

How did he get the taser there in the first place? Or did he start his trip there?

If I had to guess, and this pure speculation, but accidentally had it in the bag, cleared KCM in the USA, flew to Edinburgh. Busted the next day going through European security.

I mean, right. But why you gotta be carrying a taser on an overnight? If Edinburgh sucks that bad you need a taser, I’d put that in my bid avoid layover preference.
There are people who won’t leave their rooms anywhere. Literally no overnight is safe enough for them. Seattle. LA. GSP (seriously).

Edinburgh city center is probably one of the safest places on Earth. MAGAs gonna MAGA…. After all, there are brown people there.

There are people who won’t leave their rooms anywhere. Literally no overnight is safe enough for them. Seattle. LA. GSP (seriously).

Edinburgh city center is probably one of the safest places on Earth. MAGAs gonna MAGA…. After all, there are brown people there.

This is funny. At a bare minimum, I at least attempt to walk a few miles at every overnight I have. I've walked through sketch areas of PHX, walked under the heroin bridge in GEG, past drug deals in PSP, and I guess some less than well-lit areas on the east coast (though the hotels out there seem to be more fenced off from regular life). On my last PHX overnight, I decided I didn't want to cross over the highway, did a 180, and caught a kid right behind me, who seeing me turn around, covered his face with his hand for some reason, and darted off across the street. That one still is a question mark. Gotta get my steps in though :)

I also tend to get out and walk. Not so much out of a desire for fitness as from crushing boredom. I've never felt 1/4 as threatened *anywhere* in Europe as I did when I made the mistake of walking a few blocks north of the hovel right here in River City. With the possible exception of the time I walked through "bum tunnel" in CGN alone at like 2am, but I'd been specifically warned not to do that, and did it anyway. And of course I don't go super-far from the hotel in like Delhi or Bangkok.

But *Britain*? I walked for eight HOURS all over Nottingham (and not just the tourist areas), which is famously not exactly the nicest post-code in Blighty, and I felt as safe as joey in mom's pouch. OK, wrong continent of weird-talking English-speakers for the analogy, but you get the idea.

There is something extremely weird about the modern Murican tendency to see an imminent deadly threat behind every telephone pole, as we've discussed in other threads.

I also tend to get out and walk. Not so much out of a desire for fitness as from crushing boredom. I've never felt 1/4 as threatened *anywhere* in Europe as I did when I made the mistake of walking a few blocks north of the hovel right here in River City. With the possible exception of the time I walked through "bum tunnel" in CGN alone at like 2am, but I'd been specifically warned not to do that, and did it anyway. And of course I don't go super-far from the hotel in like Delhi or Bangkok.

But *Britain*? I walked for eight HOURS all over Nottingham (and not just the tourist areas), which is famously not exactly the nicest post-code in Blighty, and I felt as safe as joey in mom's pouch. OK, wrong continent of weird-talking English-speakers for the analogy, but you get the idea.

There is something extremely weird about the modern Murican tendency to see an imminent deadly threat behind every telephone pole, as we've discussed in other threads.

Yeah, I'm not actually thinking fitness comes from this. But after spending a whole day in the cockpit, if I can't do anything else, it is at least mentally good to get out and catch some fresh air and maybe make something of the place I landed

I walk because I gotta catch pokemon

Haha, a number of years ago when that was new, I was down/up in PDX for a weekend, hanging with my boy from childhood/college/forever since, and he's doing all this weird • with his phone as we are walking to dinner. I'm like "dude WTF are you doing?".....he's like "Pokemon bro"

I was like, "dude, we had a garage band and were teenagers when that dumb children's • first came out (Pokemon that is), you are a dork" and then he kept trying to walk into the road

Back