Housing prices

Also you'll avoid the nightmare scenario of people not paying rent and squatting etc.
How does a PM help that? Seems to me like both in CA and WA laws favor the renter on a lease more than 30 days. Nothing the PM can do about that. Perhaps you could throw the situation in a property managers lap and say "fix it" but I don't see how there is much they can do about it. Had both non-payment of rent and a renter who did not comply with the lease in CA a couple years ago. There was nothing the PM could really do. Luckily, I've only dealt with it once. Do some property management companies guarantee payment and ability to evict? That would be cool but never heard of it.

Second go:

Listed 1.498m, bid list price, but too late someone had bid list price before us and the seller accepted that one. Sold 1.498m

I like this one. At asking is nice too. Should have put in your bid sooner, obvs :)

I know! Wife and I both regret this loss. It really was an awesome house. :(
Buy this one and you can live down (up) the street from me and the 999 other pilots in town. Same basic floorplan as mine, they made different modifications to the bathrooms and such. (I turned the bar into a closet) NLT 1.5 hrs to the west lot 95% of the time. 45 min in early/late no-traffic. Lots of nearby open space.

Here’s an interesting one:

Built 1987.

Because 1986, the house was wiped out from the crash of Aeroméxico flight 498.

1692346276530.jpeg

How does a PM help that? Seems to me like both in CA and WA laws favor the renter on a lease more than 30 days. Nothing the PM can do about that. Perhaps you could throw the situation in a property managers lap and say "fix it" but I don't see how there is much they can do about it. Had both non-payment of rent and a renter who did not comply with the lease in CA a couple years ago. There was nothing the PM could really do. Luckily, I've only dealt with it once. Do some property management companies guarantee payment and ability to evict? That would be cool but never heard of it.

If you have a good property manager, their contract will have them assume the liability for tenants that go bad (assuming they are the ones that screened them). That also means they pick up the cost for doing so.

They also know which buttons to push in the local court system to grease the eviction process if that becomes necessary.

That benefit may only be a marginal improvement if state law strongly favors squatters. CA isn’t exactly known for being landlord friendly.

I know that many, many folks like the rental property model, but it’s not passive income by any means. Like any business, it doesn’t get passive until you grow it large enough to hire people to deal with the BS, absorb the random large loss, and where you have people competent enough where you don’t need to watch them 24/7.

Rental property is a trap for the unwary unless you plan to go all in with multiple properties. If you have one or two, you’re gonna get creamed as a one off landlord. I think in those cases they exist mostly as a tax write off.

Thanks for the info. I dabbled in a couple short term rentals and learned a lot. The first one was in a very seasonal place and you couldn't give it away off season. The second one was year round and surprised me that I didn't do better cash flow wise but lot's of competition and it was on the simple and plain side which kept the price down. Did quite well on appreciation on both, though, but glad I don't have to worry about them anymore. I had the same property manager who took care of the details but there was always some stressful problem I had to worry about. Never heard of a PM company that would assume the risk of non-payment and eviction and long term rentals, or even short term ones, where the tenants have few rights.

I thought you were in TO?

That address is the most western part of NB.

It's all still technically TO, once city council to rule them all... TO, Newbury Park, Westlake Village, etc. A well hit golf ball could knock out a window from that listing to my place. (and it's got a better view because it's at the tippy top of the hill vs. where I am closer to the middle area) It really is a great area, next time you are on the IRNMAN 2 at... I want to say 14ish, maybe 13ish... it really gives you the best view of the area. You can really see the open space around vs. the density of the 'Like, OMG, valley' or the South Bay. I moved from closer to downtown TO to over here pre-plague, it added maybe 8 minutes to my drive. Still well within the RSV callout for my shop, even goofing around for a bit after a callout. I can take my time. (i.e. I don't have to have a bag packed and run out the door while throwing on my shirt and brushing my teeth in the car... as I ask questions 'clarifying' my assignment to buy an extra few minutes.)

Thanks for the info. I dabbled in a couple short term rentals and learned a lot. The first one was in a very seasonal place and you couldn't give it away off season. The second one was year round and surprised me that I didn't do better cash flow wise but lot's of competition and it was on the simple and plain side which kept the price down. Did quite well on appreciation on both, though, but glad I don't have to worry about them anymore. I had the same property manager who took care of the details but there was always some stressful problem I had to worry about. Never heard of a PM company that would assume the risk of non-payment and eviction and long term rentals, or even short term ones, where the tenants have few rights.

I asked Todd for a recommendation, and it was a quality operation.

I have a question, need help from anyone who's bought a home (especially in California, but honestly any state).......

Is there a code of honor? (when it comes to buyer agents)

So I already lost two home bids above. House 1 I went to the open house, saw an agent there, wrongly assumed it was the listing agent and submit an offer through her. Listed 1.298m , we bid 1.385m , in the end lost when it sold for 1.545m.

My buyer agent had no clue about the market. She had no clue how much competition was there. I didn't talk to her again.

House 2, my wife had already been talking on/off through texts with a very nice lady who was a real estate agent. Then we used her as our agent. House 2 we lost because someone else bid at listing price, 1.498m. Again, our agent was in the blind, not really her fault.

So the question is, why even use buyer agents? Why don't I go directly to the selling agent?

I see one home now that is listed at 1.375m For the square feet it is, both wife and I feel like it is very much underpriced - specifically, to drive a bidding war. In fact, doing simply price/sq ft with the averages of the area we are looking in, we feel it should sell for 1.55 to 1.65m.

Now we have two options.

Option 1 - use our buyer agent lady and submit an offer that is inflated to beat competition. Wife and I agree that our max for this house should be 1.6m We think bidding 1.55m would be fair. But again, this is shooting from the hip randomly. Is it too much? Is it too little? We don't know.

Option 2 - use the selling agent. Again, is there a code of honor?

Because I'm about to pursue option 2. The open house had the selling agent. I got his card. I called him tonight and said look, we're interested, we'll use you as our buying agent.

[This means he'll get his ~3% selling fee AND our 2.5% buyer fee. Double dipping.]

So the selling agent says he thinks 1.4m would be good. I said I want to beat any competition. He said initially he advised the sellers to list for 1.425m, but the sellers wanted to list lower at 1.375m because they are looking to sell quickly. I said I want to be the selected offer. So you tell me, do you think 1.425m seals the deal?

Now, he didn't outright say yes. But he definitely hinted that the sellers would love that.

At this point, with him getting a full 6% on the deal, I don't see why he would lie. I think if we submit the offer tomorrow with him, at 1.425m it is going to be accepted?

So am I breaking an honor code and screwing my wife's buyer agent? Do we owe her anything? She's shown us a couple houses. But for the most part, I am the one that finds the home, I'm the one who goes to the open house, or once in a while, she'll do a showing a day or two before, and then I'm the one who tells her yes or no for offering.

I'm just tired of bidding a home price randomly and hoping it sticks. Going through the seller agent, this seems to be the first time I'm getting a "hint" of what value to bid.

This process sounds painful. I kinda feel like I'm betraying our buyer agent lady. If this works out, she'll never know we bought this home. And I'd feel too guilty to tell her we used someone else.

Thoughts?

I have a question, need help from anyone who's bought a home (especially in California, but honestly any state).......

Is there a code of honor? (when it comes to buyer agents)

So I already lost two home bids above. House 1 I went to the open house, saw an agent there, wrongly assumed it was the listing agent and submit an offer through her. Listed 1.298m , we bid 1.385m , in the end lost when it sold for 1.545m.

My buyer agent had no clue about the market. She had no clue how much competition was there. I didn't talk to her again.

House 2, my wife had already been talking on/off through texts with a very nice lady who was a real estate agent. Then we used her as our agent. House 2 we lost because someone else bid at listing price, 1.498m. Again, our agent was in the blind, not really her fault.

So the question is, why even use buyer agents? Why don't I go directly to the selling agent?

I see one home now that is listed at 1.375m For the square feet it is, both wife and I feel like it is very much underpriced - specifically, to drive a bidding war. In fact, doing simply price/sq ft with the averages of the area we are looking in, we feel it should sell for 1.55 to 1.65m.

Now we have two options.

Option 1 - use our buyer agent lady and submit an offer that is inflated to beat competition. Wife and I agree that our max for this house should be 1.6m We think bidding 1.55m would be fair. But again, this is shooting from the hip randomly. Is it too much? Is it too little? We don't know.

Option 2 - use the selling agent. Again, is there a code of honor?

Because I'm about to pursue option 2. The open house had the selling agent. I got his card. I called him tonight and said look, we're interested, we'll use you as our buying agent.

[This means he'll get his ~3% selling fee AND our 2.5% buyer fee. Double dipping.]

So the selling agent says he thinks 1.4m would be good. I said I want to beat any competition. He said initially he advised the sellers to list for 1.425m, but the sellers wanted to list lower at 1.375m because they are looking to sell quickly. I said I want to be the selected offer. So you tell me, do you think 1.425m seals the deal?

Now, he didn't outright say yes. But he definitely hinted that the sellers would love that.

At this point, with him getting a full 6% on the deal, I don't see why he would lie. I think if we submit the offer tomorrow with him, at 1.425m it is going to be accepted?

So am I breaking an honor code and screwing my wife's buyer agent? Do we owe her anything? She's shown us a couple houses. But for the most part, I am the one that finds the home, I'm the one who goes to the open house, or once in a while, she'll do a showing a day or two before, and then I'm the one who tells her yes or no for offering.

I'm just tired of bidding a home price randomly and hoping it sticks. Going through the seller agent, this seems to be the first time I'm getting a "hint" of what value to bid.

This process sounds painful. I kinda feel like I'm betraying our buyer agent lady. If this works out, she'll never know we bought this home. And I'd feel too guilty to tell her we used someone else.

Thoughts?
Did you sign a contract with buyer agent lady?

Did you sign a contract with buyer agent lady?

No. What contract? People sign a contract binding themselves to a specific buyer agent?

The only thing I did with her was put an offer on that Santa Fe house above that we lost.

She’s shown my wife 2-3 homes on her own time. And she sends us links of homes through Compass (her realtor company).

Other than that, nothing.

No. What contract? People sign a contract binding themselves to a specific buyer agent?

The only thing I did with her was put an offer on that Santa Fe house above that we lost.

She’s shown my wife 2-3 homes on her own time. And she sends us links of homes through Compass (her realtor company).

Other than that, nothing.
They do. And it was a thing a few years ago.

But as long as she didn't show you the home that you put an offer on then you owe her nothing.

Technically, the buyer's agent shouldn't be giving you inside information, even if you put in an offer with them.

I hope you get the place.

They do. And it was a thing a few years ago.

But as long as she didn't show you the home that you put an offer on then you owe her nothing.

Technically, the buyer's agent shouldn't be giving you inside information, even if you put in an offer with them.

I hope you get the place.

You mean selling* agent? If the selling agent is representing the buyer, why wouldn’t he at least be able to fish for a ballpark that might be acceptable for an offer? After all, he knows the seller.

I just went to the open house and the agent there was the selling agent.

Last edited:
Several years ago when I was buying rental property, I signed a contract with an agent to represent me as a buyer's agent. In that state, without a buyer's agent contract, both agents would legally represent the seller.

Honestly, that sounds fishy. In the couple of offers I made this year, even if one agency was handing the buyers and sellers, there were like 10 pages of disclosures to sign, and there were a whole list of "don'ts" Same agent? That was a big no-no.

Real estate everywhere is simply insane. Even in East Bumblefart, Missouri (West Bumblefart is the high rent district). The high interest rates have done exactly zero to tamp it down except at the very bottom. We gave up looking for a place, and we bought some land, got some generic plans off the interwebz and built. We bought a piece of land that was out in the middle of nowhere, and I mean nowhere, outside of a town of 40k in a rural part of a state. I will grant you the road it was on was paved, barely, but no landline service from the phone or cable, so Starlink its going to be.

After we bought, every single piece of property around it sold in less than 3 weeks, and at far more than we paid.

I fully expect to have an unsolicited offer on our house before it is finished. There is crazy, crazy money out there. My neighbors were only nextdoor for two years, and they paid, what I thought at the time, was an insane amount. When they sold, it was even insaner, but it turned out that a company paid the buyers in a paid move transaction.

Dual repping is apparently illegal in some states. Apparently not here in CA.

I’ve seen many cases where the seller represented by and buyer represented by is the same name. I just naturally assume in a multiple offer situation, the seller agent already knows how many offers and what’s the highest. So if that agent needs to represent my best interest, he should advise me if the number I’m thinking is too low compared to other offers. This agent stands to get the entire 5-6% agent profit, so why wouldn’t they want to dual rep and help you win the multiple offer situation. They hold all the cards.

Back