Pilatus with 7 Aboard Down Off The Coast of NC

Unless he didn’t cancel the warning? I don’t know the system.

Reading the CVR transcript, holy lack of situational awareness. And what’s a 20 hour ’student‘ pilot going to do? Help you out of a bind? You’re not even in full control of the aircraft and too busy pushing buttons
If homeboy didn’t even have it in him to hit the big red button and cancel the cavalry charge for 2 whole minutes…

Different venue, but I've been in a couple situations that might have turned south o'er the years, one was primary search in a house fire and the other going after someone in a flooding condition. Now there were other times the "limit" was tested, but competent partners and aware back-up were the things which got me, and one victim, out of hard ... impossible ... situations.

I don't play the game any longer at almost 70, but looking back I'm pretty sure I'd make the same choices again.

Seems like this guy was alone and overwhelmed - in well-above his level of ability - and there was no one there to help him find a way out.

The CVR is a hard read, even for a layman.

Criminal negligence. At the end of the day, people need to stay in control of an aircraft.

At least he wasn’t on Snapchat.
What a train wreck. Recovering from cancer, recovering from COVID, suffering from three bulged disks, current Oxy prescription, reports extreme pain in a doctor’s visit the day before the crash. reports pain in CVR. Sounds like a bad recipe for a competent pilot, let alone this guy.

What a train wreck. Recovering from cancer, recovering from COVID, suffering from three bulged disks, current Oxy prescription, reports extreme pain in a doctor’s visit the day before the crash. reports pain in CVR. Sounds like a bad recipe for a competent pilot, let alone this guy.
We’ve all probably gone flying when we were a bit under the weather and maybe should have stayed home but this is a whole nother level

Yes I am. Downeast Carteret County.

Gotcha. My wife’s family has been in Morehead for a few generations, her parents live in Beaufort and her grandad had a place on Harker’s Island. We spend a total of a month or two there every year. I know how much that accident affected your community.

The CVR is a hot mess and painful to listen to. The pilot was unfamiliar with the airplane’s avionics, but that’s not fatal. Not flying the airplane is though.

Last edited:
The CVR is a hot mess and painful to listen to. The pilot was unfamiliar with the airplane’s avionics, but that’s not fatal. Not flying th airplane is though.
yep. Like I said near the beginning of this thread, if you’re in that deep you have so many other ways to fly the airplane without getting tangled up in finger banging the FMS. Aviate navigate communicate strikes again. I did see this as an issue even with professionals though, specifically in the NG, the training and to a degree the airplane is so set up around always having the FMS set up that people forget you can always do things like:

-use heading and altitude mode plus synthetic vision and moving map to keep yourself out of trouble while you fix whatever you screwed up in the box

-in an IFR environment just drop it back to “green needles” (they’re white/magenta in this cockpit) Vectors to an ILS work exactly the same as any other airplane

Unless he didn’t cancel the warning? I don’t know the system.
This. He did not.

If homeboy didn’t even have it in him to hit the big red button and cancel the cavalry charge for 2 whole minutes…
And this.

At this point he's so hyper focused I'll bet a paycheck he couldn't even hear it. And it is annoying to listen to. But I see new pilots all the time just let it ring until I say something.

Reminds me of this video. Guess what that warning tone is they are listening to all the way down the hill. I've flown this type of airplane. That tone change at the bottom is the stall tone.

View: https://youtu.be/5McECUtM8fw?si=siUNQdR5QQvwHPt4

yep. Like I said near the beginning of this thread, if you’re in that deep you have so many other ways to fly the airplane without getting tangled up in finger banging the FMS. Aviate navigate communicate strikes again. I did see this as an issue even with professionals though, specifically in the NG, the training and to a degree the airplane is so set up around always having the FMS set up that people forget you can always do things like:

-use heading and altitude mode plus synthetic vision and moving map to keep yourself out of trouble while you fix whatever you screwed up in the box

-in an IFR environment just drop it back to “green needles” (they’re white/magenta in this cockpit) Vectors to an ILS work exactly the same as any other airplane

My first instructor once told me, “fly straight and level until you get your • together”.

New information with complete cockpit transposition from the voice recorder. I'm not a pilot but this hit close to home so I am interested on what happened.

I'm not a pilot but it is obvious a lack of pre flight route planning caused major issues. They tried to enter the route while airborne and when they couldn't get the nav system to work like they wanted it resulted in a lot of confusion and 'flying by the seat of your pants' He even admits in the transcript he is way behind the 8 ball as he put it.

I am having a little bit of a problem figuring out the last 3 minutes or so. They go into an ascent and get into stall condition but it isn't really clear to me why so I came here to get some expert opinions. Could it be while climbing to 1900 he wasn't paying attention and the plane kept ascending and got into a runaway trim scenario? Or he became disoriented and panicked?

The transcript is a tough read and this accident seems 100% avoidable. They do note he appeared to have a cold or something and back pain so maybe those factors combined and somehow clouded his judgement. Just seems an awfully unorganized flight plan for someone with that experience. Maybe it was just complacency.

Looking forward to reading your opinions!
Accidents such as this happen with depressing regularity among amateur pilots. Terrified of having to hand-fly the plane on instruments in bad weather they habitually rely on the autopilot, further degrading their already mediocre instrument-flying skills. When the AP fails or, as in this case, isn't set up properly, they panic, start pusing random buttons and lose control of the aircraft.

This. He did not.

And this.

At this point he's so hyper focused I'll bet a paycheck he couldn't even hear it. And it is annoying to listen to. But I see new pilots all the time just let it ring until I say something.

Reminds me of this video. Guess what that warning tone is they are listening to all the way down the hill. I've flown this type of airplane. That tone change at the bottom is the stall tone.

View: https://youtu.be/5McECUtM8fw?si=siUNQdR5QQvwHPt4

I got my commercial and CFI in a Trinidad. I remember that video when one of the Trinidads that flight school had was landed gear-up, and someone found that video. I do like how it alternates between the stall warning tone and the gear warning tone when both are set off.

I got my commercial and CFI in a Trinidad. I remember that video when one of the Trinidads that flight school had was landed gear-up, and someone found that video. I do like how it alternates between the stall warning tone and the gear warning tone when both are set off.
What year was it that the one you know of went gear up?

Back