Jet fighters chase small plane in Washington area before it crashes in Virginia (Citation OA9-ISP)

So this stood out to me in the article.

“Two people familiar with the situation, speaking on the condition of anonymity because of the ongoing investigation, said the pilot of a military jet that scrambled to intercept the plane saw its pilot sitting in the left seat slumped over to the right.”

Being able to see into the cockpit stands out because if true this is different than what happened to Payne Stewart where the intercepting pilots reported that the windows were opaque as if covered from the inside with ice.

Again it’s all speculation at this point but maybe some kind of pilot incapacitation like a heart attack perhaps? Maybe not a pressurization issue at all?

Speaking of the pilot, he was 69 years old and retired from SWA after 26 years.

I mean maybe but then kind of weird that no one in the back went up to try to do anything for what I would imagine would have been quite a while, since they seem to have stopped receiving radio communications during climbout? Not sure that's true, but I think I read it somewhere.

I mean maybe but then kind of weird that no one in the back went up to try to do anything for what I would imagine would have been quite a while, since they seem to have stopped receiving radio communications during climbout? Not sure that's true, but I think I read it somewhere.
Yeah it would be odd if someone in the back didn’t notice something was off.

When the Helios 737 accident that involved a loss of cabin pressure the intercepting pilots saw a flight attendant in the cockpit with the walk around bottle. Definitely an apples and oranges comparison between corporate passengers and professional flight attendant though.

Yeah it would be odd if someone in the back didn’t notice something was off.

When the Helios 737 accident that involved a loss of cabin pressure the intercepting pilots saw a flight attendant in the cockpit with the walk around bottle. Definitely an apples and oranges comparison between corporate passengers and professional flight attendant though.

I didn't realize that until now. That's dark.

In any case, I'll make a bold prediction. MX clearly happened, so I would lay pretty good money that, for whatever reason, the MX staff left the manual pressurization controller out, and El(le) Dude(tte) didn't check it. Then he/she either ignored the cabin alt warning or fidgeted around with stuff while still climbing long enough to become incapacitated. Or I guess maybe the cabin alt warning could have failed.

It can happen, ask me how I know. Luckily our warning worked.

“Two people familiar with the situation, speaking on the condition of anonymity because of the ongoing investigation, said the pilot of a military jet that scrambled to intercept the plane saw its pilot sitting in the left seat slumped over to the right.”

Being able to see into the cockpit stands out because if true this is different than what happened to Payne Stewart where the intercepting pilots reported that the windows were opaque as if covered from the inside with ice.

Again it’s all speculation at this point but maybe some kind of pilot incapacitation like a heart attack perhaps? Maybe not a pressurization issue at all?

Speaking of the pilot, he was 69 years old and retired from SWA after 26 years.
I don’t know if it makes any difference nor am I aware of how exactly the Citations windscreens are constructed but in the Lear they are basically lexan and not heated beyond bleed air vented over them from the outside. Much more prone to freeze over and especially fog up vs an electrically heated glass windscreen. This is the case for the 20 and 30 series Lears anyways.

I didn't realize that until now. That's dark.
That was one of the case studies and later debate at USC’s SMS school I attended. Really sad how it happened and an interesting debate in what should be done to change if at all the cabin altitude warning system in the airplane.

I don’t know if it makes any difference nor am I aware of how exactly the Citations windscreens are constructed but in the Lear they are basically lexan and not heated beyond bleed air vented over them from the outside.
I think old 500 series Citations are similar to Lears using plastic windscreens and bleed air. But I have no experience with them.

Dude was awake for a long portion, IIRC. Can't remember whether he ran out of oxygen or just couldn't figure out what to do, but he was up there for a while.

The pilot was also an A&P with IA. It would be really hard to not understand the oxygen and systems with that level of maintenance experience.

This next one is a bold prediction from the jump to conclusions mat, but what if the pilot was also the D.O.M. for said aircraft?

In any case, I'll make a bold prediction. MX clearly happened, so I would lay pretty good money that, for whatever reason, the MX staff left the manual pressurization controller out, and El(le) Dude(tte) didn't check it. Then he/she either ignored the cabin alt warning or fidgeted around with stuff while still climbing long enough to become incapacitated. Or I guess maybe the cabin alt warning could have failed.

It can happen, ask me how I know. Luckily our warning worked.
I really like flying a modern-ish airplane that will literally yell CABIN ALTITUDE at you. Also if someone leaves the pressurization system set funky you’ll have messages

I really like flying a modern-ish airplane that will literally yell CABIN ALTITUDE at you. Also if someone leaves the pressurization system set funky you’ll have messages

Ole Hawker did ok. It was just one enormous screeching horn that COULD NOT BE SHUT OFF until the cabin altitude got back below 11k or whatever it was. We were climbing out of Aspen, IMS, so going back down was not an option. We had to level off at I dunno 18k or so and wait for the pressurization to catch up. Questions were asked.

Modern corporate jets will initiate a decent to a breathable altitude if they sense a depressurization on their own. Gives the pilots a chance to wake up if they didn’t get their mask on in time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back