SkyWest flight attendants’ clash delays trip by two hours

Be very careful using debit cards over credit cards. If your debit gets scammed, that’s your money gone. You’ll probably be able to get it back, but it will take some time for the bank to investigate. Credit card gets scammed, that’s their money gone.

This depends on the issuing bank.

Tara’s debit card was compromised multiple times over the last couple years and each time USAA refunded the lost money within 24 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

For the record guys, I'm not a financial wizard.....I'm mostly just lazy. You're all right about credit cards, I should probably just get a good one that rewards me. I'll be quite honest, I tend to think everything is a gimmick, everyone is a liar, and everyone is trying to take my money, when it comes to finances or purchases or whatever involving money. So it would be fair to say I have missed out on some deals due to my own pessimism. CC "points" was an example of this, when that sort of thing started getting more popular. I don't dig social media/"influencing", not interested in cryptocurrency, and name just about any other emerging or established newer money making scheme, and I probably shun it. Not always with good reason. I'm just too lazy to learn about it, because that kind of stuff honestly doesn't interest me at all.

You could earn valuable rewards for your next vacation from...uh, I mean *with*, *with* Alaska Airlines! Act now, operators are standing by.
When you live in a town with no road out and you only have service by Alaska (and another Air Line, if they feel like it, unless they don’t, in which case they’ll cancel your flight without telling you and rebook it such that it requires time travel to complete the itinerary)….let’s just say any time a crew from work goes out to eat there are a lot of Alaska Airlines Visa signature cards used

I guess I’m not understanding the advantages of using a debit card?

Why not just use a CC and then once a month, make a payment from your bank account to the CC account?

No desire on my part to influence you (or anyone else) to make changes to the way you care for your financial matters. My experience and choice is simply that - my own. It works for me, whether or not it is the most immediately advantageous or not. Just a bit of online ruminating and nothing more - don't feel a particular need to explain how I came to this place in life, although there were certainly reasons which moved me to do so.

The one thing which I'll note is that a debit card (considered the same as cash) costs me 10-12 cents/gallon less for gasoline and 18-20 cents less per gallon of fuel oil for my furnace in this area. Damn ... I almost listed other reasons, too, but I did say "one thing," so that's it.

Of course, you should do what's best for you, as I will continue to do, too.

No desire on my part to influence you (or anyone else) to make changes to the way you care for your financial matters. My experience and choice is simply that - my own. It works for me, whether or not it is the most immediately advantageous or not. Just a bit of online ruminating and nothing more - don't feel a particular need to explain how I came to this place in life, although there were certainly reasons which moved me to do so.

The one thing which I'll note is that a debit card (considered the same as cash) costs me 10-12 cents/gallon less for gasoline and 18-20 cents less per gallon of fuel oil for my furnace in this area. Damn ... I almost listed other reasons, too, but I did say "one thing," so that's it.

I learned finances from my dad, who was born in 1936. He balanced his checkbook (as did my mom) earlier in my life, before online banking made it largely pointless. He kept a f***king logbook in the glovebox of his car, where he would annotate QTY of gas purchased, and odometer, to I guess track mileage? The car wasn't carbureted, so I'm not really sure what telltale sign he was looking for there....maybe I'll ask him one day. On that note, he still, to this day (in our home state, where you don't self serve gas) will ask for "Regular, unleaded".....I have tried to tell him that there have been about as many years since leaded fuel at the pump, as there have been years of my life. He's actually done well with investments, outside of his pensions, but like I think I've mentioned......he declined to invest in Phil Knight when the guy was scouring the UO campus in the 60's/70's looking for his first investors. And he also decided not to purchase a fleet of surplus P-51's at $500/piece when he got off active duty. So I'm not saying I exactly have Warren Buffet to model :)

I'm not against what you do. If it works for you, more power to you. :) My point was a CC does the exact same thing as your DC does - except the money doesn't come directly out of your piggy bank. If there is a fraud charge on a CC, you are out $0 right off the bat.

Question about the debit card on gasoline - is that Arco by any chance?

I've done the mental gymnastics with that one. DC saves me 10 cents / gallon BUT they charge a one time 35 cent fee on the transaction. Is that the case for where you are?

In my case, save 10 cents a gallon on a 16 gallon tank means $1.60 in savings, minus the 35 cent fee for a DC, is 1.25 savings. But the CC gets 1.5% cash back, so assuming $5/gallon gas here and 16 gallons, that's $80 bill and a cash back of $1.20. In my particular case, the difference becomes negligible. And this math assumes I was nearly empty to fill 16 gallons to begin with. If I'm only partially filling, then the DC math falls apart - the 35 cent fee kills it. For that reason I end up using my CC for gasoline. Some CCs offer even more cashback for gas on rotating monthly/quarterly cycles. Mine doesn't.

I'm just going off on a tangent. More power to you, I have no issues with what method you choose, whatever works for you Sir :)

I'm not against what you do. If it works for you, more power to you. :) My point was a CC does the exact same thing as your DC does - except the money doesn't come directly out of your piggy bank. If there is a fraud charge on a CC, you are out $0 right off the bat.

Question about the debit card on gasoline - is that Arco by any chance?

I've done the mental gymnastics with that one. DC saves me 10 cents / gallon BUT they charge a one time 35 cent fee on the transaction. Is that the case for where you are?

In my case, save 10 cents a gallon on a 16 gallon tank means $1.60 in savings, minus the 35 cent fee for a DC, is 1.25 savings. But the CC gets 1.5% cash back, so assuming $5/gallon gas here and 16 gallons, that's $80 bill and a cash back of $1.20. In my particular case, the difference becomes negligible. And this math assumes I was nearly empty to fill 16 gallons to begin with. If I'm only partially filling, then the DC math falls apart - the 35 cent fee kills it. For that reason I end up using my CC for gasoline. Some CCs offer even more cashback for gas on rotating monthly/quarterly cycles. Mine doesn't.

I'm just going off on a tangent. More power to you, I have no issues with what method you choose, whatever works for you Sir :)

Not Arco - Gulf and Exxon stations. No individual fee for pumping. CC is generally 10-12 cents per gallon more than the cash price in this area, whether gasoline, diesel or kerosene. Always assumed that was to cover the bank fees generally associated with use of credit but really have no idea why it's common practice around here. As an interesting aside (and fairly new to the area), local businesses and restaurants have begun charging a "service fee" for use of credit and offering a modest discount for cash payment (including, of course, a debit card).

It's odd but a five mile difference saves me 10 cents per gallon right off the bat. The station across the street from the place I do most of my shopping/banking is $3.49/gallon for cash and $3.59/gallon credit; the station in an opposite direction (and actually closer to me) but in a direction I rarely go is $3.39/gallon cash and $3.49/gallon credit. I generally try to "bundle" my rare trips out (bank as needed, liquor store, pharmacy, grocery and fueling the car) so the slightly pricier option generally is the most convenient. As you noted, the overall savings are fairly negligible in total.

Back