Yeti Airlines crash ATR 72

I guess we know who you have on ignore. ;)
Kinda freaky. The copilot’s husband died in a plane crash flying for the same airline years ago. She used the life insurance payout to get her own ratings, and then she ends up dying in another plane crash for the same airline.
Just read an article on Reuters that the FO's husband was also a Yeti pilot who died in an Otter crash in 2016. She had used the insurance money from his death for her entire pilot training.

It's weird, I saw that FB live video show up on my Tik Tok feed before the news even reported it here. I thought it was a fake vid when I did a Google search and nothing had shown up. Now I'm getting a bunch in my feed of the passengers doing selfie videos before boarding the plane.

I'm going to say that its about quality of training. This stuff just doesn't seem to be happening as often here in the states. But seems to happen a lot in the third world.

The ATR has a spotty accident history. But you can’t discount where most of these accidents occur. Most of these things are flying outside of the US, many of them in third world countries.

I’ve got a lot of experience in these aircraft. My company has been operating them for several decades now without an accident. And these are the OG ATR-72-202/212s and ATR-42 300/320s. They have maintenance issues on a daily basis. I’ve got experience flying them from Miami to the complete opposite (Bismarck in the winter).

The common denominator is the flight crew. I don’t care if it’s not politically correct, but you can’t discount the quality (or lack thereof) in training and experience in some of these places.

There was a grainy video of the plane on approach from a different angle than the one from the ground making the Tik Tok rounds yesterday. It appeared like it was taken from someone's balcony as the plane was on final and it looked like the right engine was on fire before it banked and went down. You hear the guy in the video freaking out then his wife in the background screen when it crashed. If I find it, I will post it.

Training may be an issue here, but experience definitely isn’t. The copilot had 6k hours and the captain had 21k.

I hate when people say they aren’t going to speculate on an accident, then proceed to do so. So I’m not going to do that here.

I’m just pointing out that there is a reason so many ATR accidents have occurred in developing countries.

There was a grainy video of the plane on approach from a different angle than the one from the ground making the Tik Tok rounds yesterday. It appeared like it was taken from someone's balcony as the plane was on final and it looked like the right engine was on fire before it banked and went down. You hear the guy in the video freaking out then his wife in the background screen when it crashed. If I find it, I will post it.

That’s the prototype Ilyushin 112 crash from 2021

Last edited:
That's a different crash video. They're speaking Russian and it's not an ATR. I recall seeing this video some years ago.

homer-simpson-bush-gif.gif

Attachments

• 1673884444347.png
    1673884444347.png
    41.1 KB · Views: 11
Training may be an issue here, but experience definitely isn’t. The copilot had 6k hours and the captain had 21k.

Curious as to why the Copilot was hired in 2010 at Yeti and is still a FO? A growing company like that, it sounds doubtful it’s by choice? One would assume that would be a senior CA at that seniority?

Reuter says she was flying with a “training Captain” (whatever that implies, Upgrade? Recurrent like check situation? Previous failure followup)? Maybe just a route requirement? As in a company requirement?

Last edited:
Curious as to why the Copilot was hired in 2010 at Yeti and is still a FO? A growing company like that, it sounds doubtful it’s by choice? One would assume that would be a senior CA at that seniority?

Reuter says she was flying with a “training Captain” (whatever that implies, Upgrade? Recurrent like check situation? Previous failure followup)? Maybe just a route requirement? As in a company requirement?

I don’t know the answer to any of this, but I think you’re exactly the guy to go figure it out.

Maybe things are different in Nepal.

I’m sure it’ll all come out in due time.

Unless Nepal is like Ethiopia where they write off the entire crash on the manufacturer, completely ignoring incorrect crew actions, and refuse to add foreign investigation parties (like the NTSB and BEA) comments to the final report. Then we’ll have to wait and see the comments published separately by the NTSB and BEA.

Back