New Alaska TA

Things I thought I’d never see:

1) some 20 something new hire calling us greedy because we’d like to be paid fairly

2) people trying to convince me a day is worth X but vacation is worth X-40%

I’m thinking of voting yes because that would screw the company over long term. The future is a fight for pilots and this, this ain’t it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really don't understand the ridiculous amount of social media outrage with this TA. It has some really great stuff in it. 14 hour call outs...Yes, please! Did I hear right- union ran rotations and PBS? That's pretty great. Pay rates aren't amaze-ballz, but it has lots of work rule gains. Mad that vacation is 3:45 per day? That's what Delta has (and after a few weeks it goes to 3:30 per day). Mad that the bigs are going to leap frog many of the provisions immediately? They're the bigs and this is pattern bargaining. Welcome to the You Went First Club.

Also, remember that voting down the TA is a tacit vote to recall the MEC and NC because they voted unanimously for it. That means dismantling and reforming your entire union government. Look at it through that lens...unless it's an absolute turd like United's profession crusher, it might be time to lock in the gains. I am pretty disappointed in the retro for you guys. I was hoping the BLET retro deal would bleed over to our industry being that it's the same NMB and all.

Last edited:
I really don't understand the ridiculous amount of social media outrage with this TA. It has some really great stuff in it. 14 hour call outs...Yes, please! Did I hear right- union ran rotations and PBS? That's pretty great. Pay rates aren't amaze-ballz, but it has lots of work rule gains. Mad that vacation is 3:45 per day? That's what Delta has (and after a few weeks it goes to 3:30 per day). Mad that the bigs are going to leap frog many of the provisions immediately? They're the bigs and this is pattern bargaining. Welcome to the You Went First Club.

Also, remember that voting down the TA is a tacit vote to recall the MEC and NC because they voted unanimously for it. That means dismantling and reforming your entire union government. Look at it through that lens...unless it's an absolute turd like United's profession crusher, it might be time to lock in the gains.
You know how it is, the most irrational scream the loudest.

Also, remember that voting down the TA is a tacit vote to recall the MEC and NC because they voted unanimously for it. That means dismantling and reforming your entire union government. Look at it through that lens...unless it's an absolute turd like United's profession crusher, it might be time to lock in the gains. I am pretty disappointed in the retro for you guys. I was hoping the BLET retro deal would bleed over to our industry being that it's the same NMB and all.

You realize that anyone not on SCR will be flying red eyes?

No way in heck would I bid long call at AS. You’ll be flying ANC red eye turns with captain vampire all month. 30% of our flying is WOCL and the vast majority of sick calls.

If anything this TA makes it possible to commute to reserve sure but it’s at the expense of QOL. You’ll never make it back home. You’ll just be buying a hotel between WOCL legs in base.

It’s great for me. Because I live 40 minutes from SEA. I’ll bid SCR as a captain and sleep when I’m getting paid. I don’t really view it as a positive for commuters even though they think it’s great now, they probably won’t in practice.

I mean, isn’t that likely to be the case anywhere with LCR?

Yes. That’s why I don’t understand why so many are enthusiastic about this change.

Personally it’s great for me that people think this. I’ll hit SCR and sleep the first six hours of my SCR RAP. However, once the suck sets in and some dude has done 3 ANC red eye turns in a row and can’t remember how he got to the airport. Im guessing they will bid for SCR.

Yes. That’s why I don’t understand why so many are enthusiastic about this change.

Personally it’s great for me that people think this. I’ll hit SCR and sleep the first six hours of my SCR RAP. However, once the suck sets in and some dude has done 3 ANC red eye turns in a row and can’t remember how he got to the airport. Im guessing they will bid for SCR.

Don’t junior line holders end up doing stuff like that anyway? There’s an element to being junior that’s going to suck literally everywhere.

Don’t junior line holders end up doing stuff like that anyway? There’s an element to being junior that’s going to suck literally everywhere.

Yes this is the majority of the sick calls I’d guess. 25-30% of the lines are WOCL.

I’m not complaining about it. Just pointing out from a previous post that the new reserve rules coupled with no pay override for WOCL flying is probably going to really become a burden for the pilots commuting to reserve.

Which again isn’t me.

Side bar.......so let's just say someone got SCR with a 0945 RAP all month. Non-commuter, or at least, not in the sense of it being more than a drive. Is this the ticket to hell, currently?

Side bar.......so let's just say someone got SCR with a 0945 RAP all month. Non-commuter, or at least, not in the sense of it being more than a drive. Is this the ticket to hell, currently?

Wouldn‘t that keep you out of redeye territory?

Reserve in base can be pretty nice. Not sure about Alaska, but you generally get a day or two that you don’t get used and 9:45 seems like the ideal time to me. You can sleep in and really can’t be scheduled for anything crazy late.

I haven’t been able to digest the rules enough to understand if it will be a nightmare being on reserve. Like it has been at times.

I’m pretty open minded about the TA so far. I haven’t had the time to deep dive into the rules to answer a question like that.

I haven’t been able to digest the rules enough to understand if it will be a nightmare being on reserve. Like it has been at times.

I’m pretty open minded about the TA so far. I haven’t had the time to deep dive into the rules to answer a question like that.

How are your red eye rotations generally constructed? Genuinely interested. My category has a large number of them, but there seems to be a significant segment of pilots who really like them. The last few days of the month here always have a lot of open time. There are no red eyes in our open time for this whole week. I’m curious why the difference.

How are your red eye rotations generally constructed? Genuinely interested. My category has a large number of them, but there seems to be a significant segment of pilots who really like them. The last few days of the month here always have a lot of open time. There are no red eyes in our open time for this whole week. I’m curious why the difference.

Generally one leg out, 12 hour day sleep, one leg back. You’re landing on the east coast at about 6am, so 3am base (SEA) time. Interestingly there’s not a lot of them in open time at the moment. Often there’s some red eye back from Hawaii type stuff as well.

Generally one leg out, 12 hour day sleep, one leg back. You’re landing on the east coast at about 6am, so 3am base (SEA) time. Interestingly there’s not a lot of them in open time at the moment. Often there’s some red eye back from Hawaii type stuff as well.
Are you talking a first leg transcon red eye to a day-over, or is that a penalty leg to somewhere like Vegas or SFO into a day-over and then a red-eye on the second FDP? Scenario one seems to be a west coast pilot’s burden and I would hate it, but it’s just one of those things you deal with. Scenario two is a recipe for disaster and I don’t think it is allowed in pre-month rotation construction here. They do show up occasionally in broken frankentrips, though. Same with lean-over.

These are the basic pairings you’ll see:

1) 2 day shortbacks. Leave SEA on a red eye wind up in BOS on sunrise drive 30 min to a hotel day sleep and leave around 5pm local for SEA

2) Hawaii red eye returns. Fly to Hawaii day one. Hang out all day and red eye back the next day arriving day 3. Sometimes you get a 36 hr layover. Sometimes these are part of 3-4 day trips.

3) ANC red eye turns. Leave SEA around 9 and get into ANC around 1. 2-3am departure for SEA arrive SEA around 6-8am. Brutal morning commute traffic home.

4) The sneak attack red eye. 4 day trip. Day 4 depart EWR at 7:20. 6am van. Walk up around 2:30am west coast time. Which you’ve been on all week.

Sorry, I should have specified that I was asking about the current contract there.

Back