Holy Wow…

Next week’s Delta Indoc class has…

DTW, 350B (350 FO)

Available for new hire bidding.

crazy times

There was a thread about this over on The Other Site, and the guy who was predicting this used to post here regularly....

I haven’t looked at The Other Site, but I’ll bet that it is mostly:

1) He’ll be set up for failure. The training program and LCPs can’t handle a new hire.
2) The company did something wrong.
3) 350 flying is undesirable right now. Those guys will be stuck at the bottom forever.

#3 is probably the only one that’s right. Seriously nobody wants to fly 17 hours and then be confined to a hotel room with varying levels of restrictions just to then fly home. I’m sure the cargo dogs feel that acutely. Once Asia decides to join the rest of the world people will bid the 350 again. Delta still has a pretty crusty set of people who would rather nail their dick to a table than fly an Airbus. Weird, but true. Of course they also use vertical speed when the VNAV is totally capable of handling business, but what can you do.

Seriously nobody wants to fly 17 hours and then be confined to a hotel room with varying levels of restrictions just to then fly home.

As far as I know, China is the only destination that still requires any sort of lock down upon arrival. A few places still require a negative covid test (I'm looking at you Incheon) for crew, but at least all of the Asian/Oceania places we go, we are free to wander around now.

As far as I know, China is the only destination that still requires any sort of lock down upon arrival. A few places still require a negative covid test (I'm looking at you Incheon) for crew, but at least all of the Asian/Oceania places we go, we are free to wander around now.
Incheon requires a negative Covid test??? That’s news to me, and I was there 4 times last month, and heading there now.

Incheon requires a negative Covid test??? That’s news to me, and I was there 4 times last month, and heading there now.

I'm not sure if they still do or not, but as of last month in order to get out of the hotel, you needed a test. That may have just been us though... or station manager over there has been super conservative in what they say we are approved to do.

Is the rule still if you test positive there, you get stuck? I'd imagine that could be an issue on someone's radar if true

I'm not sure if they still do or not, but as of last month in order to get out of the hotel, you needed a test. That may have just been us though... or station manager over there has been super conservative in what they say we are approved to do.
That’s y’all, I guess. I haven’t had a Covid test in probably a year anda half for work, other than when I flew with positive people. The Oakwood has not said anything to us either. We haven’t even been getting temperature tested lately (as in several months).

That’s y’all, I guess. I haven’t had a Covid test in probably a year anda half for work, other than when I flew with positive people. The Oakwood has not said anything to us either. We haven’t even been getting temperature tested lately (as in several months).

I can't remember if you fly for Dude Holding Up the World or not but the story we were told was that their approval to be outside the whole time was don't ask don't tell, based on the word of the ANC CP and if something had gone wrong, KOCA would have pulled flight rights.

I can't remember if you fly for Dude Holding Up the World or not but the story we were told was that their approval to be outside the whole time was don't ask don't tell, based on the word of the ANC CP and if something had gone wrong, KOCA would have pulled flight rights.
Nope, I’m at MRDSCC (Michigan Rubber Dog S Cargo Company). We did go through a lock down period but it’s been a while since we’ve had any restrictions.

DTW, 350B (350 FO)

crazy times

?

Why is this crazy? There have been widebody newhire positions before? Crazy would be newhire CA vacancies (which I think is coming, and not a good thing for any airline).

Sigh. Our official CIQ guidance still says we are in hotel isolation in Incheon. We just checked again yesterday. The purple lawyers are the MOST conservative.

#3 is probably the only one that’s right. Seriously nobody wants to fly 17 hours and then be confined to a hotel room with varying levels of restrictions just to then fly home. I’m sure the cargo dogs feel that acutely. Once Asia decides to join the rest of the world people will bid the 350 again. Delta still has a pretty crusty set of people who would rather nail their dick to a table than fly an Airbus. Weird, but true. Of course they also use vertical speed when the VNAV is totally capable of handling business, but what can you do.

It was pretty much a variation of this - you'll work once a month and you will lose landing currency and your skills will atrophy and everyone else will make more money than you and you'll never land, etc....

I dunno. These are problems I would like to contemplate someday. :)

As miserable as that sounds, I think it's still might be better than 12 hour overnights in Florida followed by dead heads to ATL to start the three leg days I'm doing in Boeing's finest 1967 engineering. Silly me thinking being west coast based would keep me from doing almost all my flying in the eastern time zone.

DTW, 350B (350 FO)

crazy times
that's insane, I know UA has 777/787 going to new hires...AA predicts they will start offering new hires the 787 out of JFK in the winter.

As miserable as that sounds, I think it's still might be better than 12 hour overnights in Florida followed by dead heads to ATL to start the three leg days I'm doing in Boeing's finest 1967 engineering. Silly me thinking being west coast based would keep me from doing almost all my flying in the eastern time zone.
And a first leg red-eye. I seriously don’t mind red-eye flying but having to start a rotation with one is brutal.

Back