JC Cyclists.

Beautiful weather brings bike commuting. I can fit a 3-day trip comfortably in this trunkbag.
932203E0-EA3E-451B-86B3-D22907FB2560.jpeg

Does anyone have an indoor bike treadmill thing that you can put your bike on and ride during the Wisconsin winter?

Asking for a friend.

Does anyone have an indoor bike treadmill thing that you can put your bike on and ride during the Wisconsin winter?

Asking for a friend.
Tons of options out there and I've tried them all over the years. Each equally boring but the good news is with apps like Zwift which you can integrate and connect your bike/trainer to it makes riding indoors less of a chore.

From a basic one like this...

to a more connected trainer like the Wahoo Kickr...

Good choices for sure to make it less of a grind. Another option is rollers but that comes with the potetnial of flying off and breaking a rib on your coffee table. But they are fun and the bonus is increase in bike skills and you don't have hook your bike up to anything. Just ride.

Lastly, since my wife and I no longer have road bikes (preferable especially on rollers) and we have different drive trains on our gravel bikes (harder to swap out on a Kickr trainer) we finally went with option C with the full Kickr bike. It's spendy but we don't have to deal with bringing our dirty bikes in the house and swapping out our bikes on a trainer. Pretty cool features and it is actually fun with Zwift and kinda feels like a real bike.

I don’t have a truck but loads of time shuttling. The tailgate pads can ding up your bike pretty badly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Tacoma groups recommended this one, then put a protective sleeve on it. I don't do out enough to really justify spending more on a bike rack than I did my bike. At this point.

Cool conversion. I've wanted to convert an old 26er to gravel for a while.

Actually not much of a conversion. Bridgestone made the XO's in the 90s as roadbike frames with mountain bike tires; a hybrid back then, today's gravel bike long before it was a thing. My grandpa got it with a stupid mustache bar and swapped to drops. I changed the bars and drivetrain.

I finally bought myself a new bike. Haven’t had one since I left flight Instructing in 2010.

Guess I should include the bike: Trek FX Sport 4.

I’ve been told the kickstand is very uncool but I don’t care. Went for an 11 mile ride this morning and now my ass hurts. Hoping to get the whole family out this summer as well as some more fitness rides solo.

Attachments

• E20F15B7-1210-4135-BAF3-67344D7ECA60.jpeg
    E20F15B7-1210-4135-BAF3-67344D7ECA60.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 30
I’m contemplating getting a new FS bike. Currently I have a Kona Dawg from high school (around ’05ish). I don’t ride it much, but I might be having more opportunities to do so in the near future. I’ve been looking at:

Drt 3.1; looks like it’s got good components for a decent price with 27.5+ tires. I’m thinking the 27.5+s might not be a set back, since I’m only about 5’8”ish and not as aggressive a biker as I was in high school. I’m liking this one most because I think it’s the best value.

Ghost Slamr is a 29er (29x2.5 & 2.4) that is the same price as the Drt 3.1, but looks like maybe the components aren’t quite as good. I don’t know if that’s true since I’m not up to speed on bike stuff these days. After a little googling I believe the suspension on the Drt 3.1 edges out the Slamr, but I don’t know if being a 29er makes up for that.

Ghost Kato FS; I have the Kato hardtail and I like it, but I really only use it on the very pot holey dirt roads in my town so I don’t know how well it would stand up to harder abuse. Both the hardtail and FS have 27.5s (27.5x2.25), and I like them on the hardtail, but I don’t know how they would do going down more technical and higher speed trails. Even if 27.5s aren’t as good as the 27.5+ or 29ers I’m sure it’s a step up from my current 26” Dawg! The FS also has inferior components compared to the other two (SR Suntour suspension for example). However, at $300 less it is the budget option and REI has a great return policy. I’m considering it because I don’t know how much I will actually end up riding yet.

The Drt 3.3: has the best components out of all of them, it’s also a 29er. However, it’s $900 more expensive than the first two and $1200 more than the Kato FS and I don’t know if I want to spend that much right now. But dang it looks sick.

I’ve been going back and forth between the 3.1 and Kato FS (value vs price). Any opinions on SRAM vs Shimano or 27.5+ vs 29er vs 27.5? They are all dropper posts and 1x12 from the factory, and look to have at least adequate components. None of my current rigs have either so any of those 4 would be an upgrade in most regards. I like REI‘s return policy, and if I use my REI card I’ll get 5% back (I already spend too much money there:bounce:) so that’s why I’ve been shopping ar REI, but I’m not against buying a bike elsewhere.

I’m contemplating getting a new FS bike. Currently I have a Kona Dawg from high school (around ’05ish). I don’t ride it much, but I might be having more opportunities to do so in the near future. I’ve been looking at:

Drt 3.1; looks like it’s got good components for a decent price with 27.5+ tires. I’m thinking the 27.5+s might not be a set back, since I’m only about 5’8”ish and not as aggressive a biker as I was in high school. I’m liking this one most because I think it’s the best value.

Ghost Slamr is a 29er (29x2.5 & 2.4) that is the same price as the Drt 3.1, but looks like maybe the components aren’t quite as good. I don’t know if that’s true since I’m not up to speed on bike stuff these days. After a little googling I believe the suspension on the Drt 3.1 edges out the Slamr, but I don’t know if being a 29er makes up for that.

Ghost Kato FS; I have the Kato hardtail and I like it, but I really only use it on the very pot holey dirt roads in my town so I don’t know how well it would stand up to harder abuse. Both the hardtail and FS have 27.5s (27.5x2.25), and I like them on the hardtail, but I don’t know how they would do going down more technical and higher speed trails. Even if 27.5s aren’t as good as the 27.5+ or 29ers I’m sure it’s a step up from my current 26” Dawg! The FS also has inferior components compared to the other two (SR Suntour suspension for example). However, at $300 less it is the budget option and REI has a great return policy. I’m considering it because I don’t know how much I will actually end up riding yet.

The Drt 3.3: has the best components out of all of them, it’s also a 29er. However, it’s $900 more expensive than the first two and $1200 more than the Kato FS and I don’t know if I want to spend that much right now. But dang it looks sick.

I’ve been going back and forth between the 3.1 and Kato FS (value vs price). Any opinions on SRAM vs Shimano or 27.5+ vs 29er vs 27.5? They are all dropper posts and 1x12 from the factory, and look to have at least adequate components. None of my current rigs have either so any of those 4 would be an upgrade in most regards. I like REI‘s return policy, and if I use my REI card I’ll get 5% back (I already spend too much money there:bounce:) so that’s why I’ve been shopping ar REI, but I’m not against buying a bike elsewhere.

Lemme look at these bikes. I’ll get back to you. The Ghost brand is a super good value but I don’t know details.

I also don’t like 2.8 or + tires. Lots of tire rebound. It’s not really helpful on a full suspension bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back