Kalitta Air K4 January Hire Class

It ain't any better at the charters branches, they're losing DX and not getting anyone else coming in. Plus, no one wants to live in YIP/DTW

Yeah that seems like an easy no. 1.5x for working OT just makes sense since literally people at McDonald's get that.

Even worse, Kalitta pays less than straight-time for extra shifts (87%). When Flight Followers work extra, the pay rate is salary divided by 2080 hours even though the annual salary is for 1825 hours (4-3 OT pay for 4-4 schedule).

Unless that was resolved in the contract...

But, hey, there's no other airline someone can gain more Outlook 365 experience than they can at K4.

Last edited:
Even worse, Kalitta pays less than straight-time for extra shifts (87%). When Flight Followers work extra, the pay rate is salary divided by 2080 hours even though the annual salary is for 1825 hours (4-3 OT pay for 4-4 schedule).

Unless that was resolved in the contract...

But, hey, there's no other airline someone can gain more Outlook 365 experience than they can at K4.
This was fixed in the contract. Outlook 365 is a WIP....

We took a few of their dispatchers recently at my current shop. One thing at Kalitta that they all expressed frustration about was the shift trade process. Apparently all shift trades have to be manually approved by the dispatch manager and he will get upset if dispatchers try to do too many of them. Versus both airlines I've worked for where dispatchers can trade shifts amongst themselves at will.

Also one guy said he was never added to CASS after being signed off, despite contacting numerous departments to get it rectified.

Not sure if either of these have been rectified by the new contract.

When a tentative agreement comes out, most union members go straight to the pay-scale and ignore the rest of it. It sounds like that's exactly what happened here.
Everyone knew what was in it. You don’t get everything you want in your first union contract. You build a base and go from there. UPS or American’s contract now is drastically better than the first one they signed. They built a base and improved it with each one signed after.

Everyone knew what was in it. You don’t get everything you want in your first union contract. You build a base and go from there. UPS or American’s contract now is drastically better than the first one they signed. They built a base and improved it with each one signed after.
I get that. But forced OT at straight pay? Getting rid of that has to be a part of the base

I get that. But forced OT at straight pay? Getting rid of that has to be a part of the base
It’s only for sick calls, jr manning is an industry standard. People have to be realistic if a company wants something in a contract and agrees to most of what the employees are asking for you have to compromise. It’s a good contract, yearly raises of 6k to 7k depending on the year you are going into and we kept the 4 on 4 off schedule. 4 on and 4 off is rare. It’s a good perk to have at a job.

We took a few of their dispatchers recently at my current shop. One thing at Kalitta that they all expressed frustration about was the shift trade process. Apparently all shift trades have to be manually approved by the dispatch manager and he will get upset if dispatchers try to do too many of them. Versus both airlines I've worked for where dispatchers can trade shifts amongst themselves at will.

Also one guy said he was never added to CASS after being signed off, despite contacting numerous departments to get it rectified.

Not sure if either of these have been rectified by the new contract.
The problem is that people are leaving for bigger airlines and they are worried that they will not pay back trades and just put in their two weeks and leave, it has happened before. Our managers are really nice people and will work with the employees if they need time off or want to do trades.

It’s only for sick calls, jr manning is an industry standard. People have to be realistic if a company wants something in a contract and agrees to most of what the employees are asking for you have to compromise. It’s a good contract, yearly raises of 6k to 7k depending on the year you are going into and we kept the 4 on 4 off schedule. 4 on and 4 off is rare. It’s a good perk to have at a job.

Junior manning happens everywhere, sure, but if the company only has to pay straight time to cover it there's no incentive for them to bring the staffing up to a healthy level. I'm astounded that 1.5X wasn't in your contract for *all* the OT you work, at a bare minimum. At my current (major) carrier, we get paid double time if we're junior manned. Perhaps your union can convince the company to do an LOA addressing this issue if people keep leaving at the rate being described here.

The problem is that people are leaving for bigger airlines and they are worried that they will not pay back trades and just put in their two weeks and leave, it has happened before. Our managers are really nice people and will work with the employees if they need time off or want to do trades.

Management limiting the number of trades you can do, including not letting people trade a shift more than once, is insane. When you have a bid that has 12 different start times, you need to permit multiple trades to allow people to get the time off they need without using vacation or sick days. Management is way too involved in the trade process.

Whats with the inside joke about office365?

Email is the primary means of communication at K4. It's how Flight Followers send releases, advisories, and permits. It's also how customers send payloads, parking, and other operational items. There is one common email address the Flight Followers use so it amounts to hundreds (maybe thousands) of emails a day.

When there is an operational question, you can bet there is guidance in an email from 2016 somewhere in the inbox.

Junior manning happens everywhere, sure, but if the company only has to pay straight time to cover it there's no incentive for them to bring the staffing up to a healthy level. I'm astounded that 1.5X wasn't in your contract for *all* the OT you work, at a bare minimum. At my current (major) carrier, we get paid double time if we're junior manned. Perhaps your union can convince the company to do an LOA addressing this issue if people keep leaving at the rate being described here.
Obviously we tried to get time and a half but they said it is not going to happen this time. There is a pay freeze during negotiations on the original contract. Some people haven’t received a pay raise in 3 years. You can’t just “make” a company give you time and a half. The only other option would be to keep waiting and not receiving pay raises while getting the same answer from the company 3 to 6 months later which would be no. Or they could say fine you get time and a half but we’re not going to offer as much salary then make relief lines to cancel out any overtime opportunities. You get the original contract as a base then improve on it for the next one.

Obviously we tried to get time and a half but they said it is not going to happen this time. There is a pay freeze during negotiations on the original contract. Some people haven’t received a pay raise in 3 years. You can’t just “make” a company give you time and a half. The only other option would be to keep waiting and not receiving pay raises while getting the same answer from the company 3 to 6 months later which would be no. Or they could say fine you get time and a half but we’re not going to offer as much salary then make relief lines to cancel out any overtime opportunities. You get the original contract as a base then improve on it for the next one.

I don’t know the cargo side of the industry well, or which union you are represented by…but I think you guys need better negotiators. Pretty sure all the other big cargo carriers that are unionized do have 1.5X overtime. I could be mistaken as it’s not my sector, of course. Anyhow…glad you do have a new contract (even if it’s not a great one) and I wish you the best of luck for the future!

I don’t know the cargo side of the industry well, or which union you are represented by…but I think you guys need better negotiators. Pretty sure all the other big cargo carriers that are unionized do have 1.5X overtime. I could be mistaken as it’s not my sector, of course. Anyhow…glad you do have a new contract (even if it’s not a great one) and I wish you the best of luck for the future!
TWU 592 the same as American Airlines. It is a good contract. It’s not perfect but better than the regionals and we will most likely get time and a half next time.

Back