Hawaiian Whisteblower Suit

Murdoughnut

Well sized member
Popped up on my news feed this morning - obviously I have no idea to the merit of these claims, but they're pretty damning nonetheless ...

The lawsuit states that Hawaiian prematurely terminated several investigations into several company employees in order to avoid informing the Federal Aviation Administration.

This included investigations into:

• A flight attendant who “brutally beat” a California CEO during a layover and was allowed to keep his job, despite Aiu’s recommendation to fire him, the lawsuit states.
  • A pilot who was arrested after allegedly firing a pistol at cars and homes in Kihei, Maui in 2017. The pilot faced no disciplinary action, according to the lawsuit.
  • A pilot who was alleged to have repeatedly raped a flight attendant in 2018. Hawaiian Airlines allowed the pilot to resign in lieu of discipline, the lawsuit states, and the pilot transferred to Delta Airlines.
  • A pilot who allegedly raped a woman during a layover in California and admitted it on a phone call monitored by police. The lawsuit states the pilot is still working as a Hawaiian Airlines pilot.
  • A pilot who allegedly sexually assaulted a woman during a layover in New York. The pilot is still employed by Hawaiian and hasn’t faced discipline, according to the lawsuit.

This raises a lot of questions for me that only a lawyer would be able to answer, so I'm gonna watch this unfold.

Two sides to every story, and this dude pretty obviously mailed a copy of his lawsuit to "Honolulu Civil Beat" the second it was filed. I do not find the mere allegations to be "pretty damning" and I'll eat my hat if he desperately needed to call the FBI because a plane made an emergency landing.

Two sides to every story, and this dude pretty obviously mailed a copy of his lawsuit to "Honolulu Civil Beat" the second it was filed. I do not find the mere allegations to be "pretty damning" and I'll eat my hat if he desperately needed to call the FBI because a plane made an emergency landing.

I was more thinking damning for every HA to DL transfer who has to explain they’re not a rapist.

I didn't know you were supposed to wear a suit?

1000.jpeg

Meh. None of this is really all that shocking to me. If you think your employee group or airline of similar size doesn’t have the same types of “scandals” you’re kidding yourself.

First off... this is true.

Secondly, I have no idea if I'm going to get roped in to this because of some rep work I've done in the past, but I will say that in the few discipline hearings I was part of that included this guy, he was one of the most unprofessional, management people I have ever seen.

Last edited:
Secondly, I have no idea if I'm going to get roped in to this because of some rep work I've done in the past, but I will say that in the few discipline hearings I was part of that included this guy, he was one of the most unprofessional, management people I have ever seen. Additionally, he was caught in several lies and fabrications during those hearings, including one under oath during arbitration.
This is my not shocked face.

First off... this is true.

Secondly, I have no idea if I'm going to get roped in to this because of some rep work I've done in the past, but I will say that in the few discipline hearings I was part of that included this guy, he was one of the most unprofessional, management people I have ever seen.

Sadly, those are the types usually behind these suits - which makes it even harder for those with legit grievances.

Scam. Cause trouble, get fired for it, claim retaliation, file whistleblower suit. What some people do who are unable to earn an honest living.

I'd be inclined to agree, except I've seen plenty of unethical and potentially illegal things occur (not for an airline), and have probably had at least a handful of potential situations where I could have blown the whistle if I were so inclined towards professional self-destruction.

Serious allegations, if true. But, yeah, big enough company...

As a non-airline guy, what, I dunno, "jurisdiction" does an airline have over employees' conduct out-of-uniform? I imagine most contracts contain a general morals clause, but is there specific language to cover conduct off-duty and/or on a layover? And does an allegation going to the traditional legal system frustrate or pause internal investigations?

Serious allegations, if true. But, yeah, big enough company...

As a non-airline guy, what, I dunno, "jurisdiction" does an airline have over employees' conduct out-of-uniform? I imagine most contracts contain a general morals clause, but is there specific language to cover conduct off-duty and/or on a layover? And does an allegation going to the traditional legal system frustrate or pause internal investigations?
Idk but when I run into trouble outside of work I’m calling @jtrain609
Simply to catch up and call him a hack.

Gawd what a horse’s ass. How can you (Thomas Aiu) be a DEA agent and lack so much integrity that the US attorney refuses to use you as a witness for years and you keep the job for 28 years? Unbelievable, then Hawaiian hires him as a chief of security? Well, I guess they get what they deserve for a dumb hire.

Back