Lift tragedy

mwflyer

2 dead from RPA flight school

Sad to see, RIP.

The 2020 and 2021 numbers will be very interesting to see.

All of the data I've seen suggests we've seen a pretty significant increase in private GA activity since the pandemic started. I'm also always interested in how cost affects safety - not being able to fly as many hours per pilot due to cost inflation. Personally, I budget about 4-hours a month of GA flying expenses. That's good for VFR currency, but it can be hard to find good IFR conditions to stay current in. I just got bagged my first approach in actual conditions this afternoon in like four months and, to be honest, it felt weird.

All of the data I've seen suggests we've seen a pretty significant increase in private GA activity since the pandemic started. I'm also always interested in how cost affects safety - not being able to fly as many hours per pilot due to cost inflation. Personally, I budget about 4-hours a month of GA flying expenses. That's good for VFR currency, but it can be hard to find good IFR conditions to stay current in. I just got bagged my first approach in actual conditions this afternoon in like four months and, to be honest, it felt weird.
I’m with you. I still fly a bunch of GA, and often file IFR but I won’t shoot a real approach in one in weather.

Whatever airplane I wind up having, I want to have it equipped JUST enough that I can get down if the weather surprises me, but I won't be seeking those days out, necessarily.

I got some turbulence in the clouds that rattled me a bit today. Fortunately it was early stage cumulus so I was out of it before long, and ceilings were acceptable for scud running. That's my point, though - I'm very picky about what IMC I'll fly in, so I don't get much experience with it.

I got some turbulence in the clouds that rattled me a bit today. Fortunately it was early stage cumulus so I was out of it before long, and ceilings were acceptable for scud running. That's my point, though - I'm very picky about what IMC I'll fly in, so I don't get much experience with it.

You're IFR rated?

Man, I'm gonna regret this, but "tragedy" doesn't mean "something bad happened". Tragedy is something Euripides (or Aeschylus, or Sophocles) wrote which was meant to harness human sadness to some sense of reason. The whole point of Tragedy (in the you know real definition) is that it's instructive in some way. It is definitely *not* "your kid got hit by a bus, tough luck". I do not understand why it is so difficult for people to use words correctly. This is not a tragedy, it's just some sad poop that happened. Obviously, that sucks, but words mean stuff. Fire away.

Man, I'm gonna regret this, but "tragedy" doesn't mean "something bad happened". Tragedy is something Euripides (or Aeschylus, or Sophocles) wrote which was meant to harness human sadness to some sense of reason. The whole point of Tragedy (in the you know real definition) is that it's instructive in some way. It is definitely *not* "your kid got hit by a bus, tough luck". I do not understand why it is so difficult for people to use words correctly. This is not a tragedy, it's just some sad poop that happened. Obviously, that sucks, but words mean stuff. Fire away.
The meaning invoked by the OP is the more common meaning in modern times according to every dictionary on the planet. It happens.

The meaning invoked by the OP is the more common meaning in modern times according to every dictionary on the planet. It happens.

Not on my watch. We have words for things that suck. "That sucks". "That's really sad". "Dang, that's horrible". Etc. The eradication of nuance (although this isn't even really about nuance, it's about direct meaning) is the elimination of some part of language, with all that that entails. If there were some rump word left to hold on to the former definition of "tragedy", I might agree, or at least acquiesce, but that is not the case. Meaning is being foresworn, or at least foreshortened. There's no replacement for "tragedy" when it is purloined to mean "something bad", and that's violence against language, imho.

Not on my watch. We have words for things that suck. "That sucks". "That's really sad". "Dang, that's horrible". Etc. The eradication of nuance (although this isn't even really about nuance, it's about direct meaning) is the elimination of some part of language, with all that that entails. If there were some rump word left to hold on to the former definition of "tragedy", I might agree, or at least acquiesce, but that is not the case. Meaning is being foresworn, or at least foreshortened. There's no replacement for "tragedy" when it is purloined to mean "something bad", and that's violence against language, imho.
Those are all words.

That’s only one definition of tragedy. The drama form. There are other definitions of tragedy. It applies here.

I am rooting for you, but I think you're about 1000ish years too late on this one. Or maybe the BeeGees were singing about ancient Greek dramas back in '79.

Back