Lift tragedy

114 people die every minute, it's the regrettable but totally expected result of being alive in the first place. 114 "tragedies" every minute makes the word entirely meaningless. I mean, ok, every second there are 1.90 tragedies occurring. Every second of every day is tragedy, life is tragedy, existence is tragedy. Whatever, Baudelaire. Go smoke a clove and write a bad poem in the rain.

Ok, not those dying naturally of old age.

But a 28 yr old young woman and a 22 yr old young man, both of whom had a whole life ahead of them but died in a plane crash? I’d say that’s a tragedy.

This explains so much!

Man you really sent me down the nostalgia rabbit-hole, thanks. But, to the point, this is a better explication of SJC than their uh, what would you call it? "KINETIC" website.

I remember this well. Bunch of poophead kids, all worried about who thought what about who, then they laid some Palestrina on us, and just about ever-body sang (some poorly, self included). But while it's far from professional, man, doesn't it speak for itself?

Must've gotten something in my eye.

It may not be a tragedy to us randos on the internet; but to the family of these two individuals.....

My heart breaks for the family of the deceased.

I’d say that’s a tragedy.

Nope. It's just a crap thing that happened. Sad is enough. "Tragedy" isn't like BETTER (or worse) than "Sad", it's just different. This isn't a contest. A Tragedy is something which is awful and sad AND speaks to the human condition, the mistakes we make, our inability to see reason, our insistence upon hubris, etc. People getting dead doing normal stuff is the other thing. You know, sad.

Nope. It's just a crap thing that happened. Sad is enough. "Tragedy" isn't like BETTER (or worse) than "Sad", it's just different. This isn't a contest. A Tragedy is something which is awful and sad AND speaks to the human condition, the mistakes we make, our inability to see reason, our insistence upon hubris, etc. People getting dead doing normal stuff is the other thing. You know, sad.

So why doesn’t that apply to the plane crash? “Mistakes we make” , check
“Inability to see reason” , could be likely
“Insistence on Hubris” , again could be.

So why doesn’t that apply to the plane crash? “Mistakes we make” , check
“Inability to see reason” , could be likely
“Insistence on Hubris” , again could be.

Bluntly, because getting unlucky or being stupid doesn't speak to the Human Condition. I can't fathom why I'm in the position of "explaining" this to anyone. You're all well aware that there's a difference between getting hit by the golden bee-bee because bad stuff happens to good people, too, and something worthy of writing a play about. At this point you're just arguing for argument's sake, ain't nobody got time for that.

Bluntly, because getting unlucky or being stupid doesn't speak to the Human Condition. I can't fathom why I'm in the position of "explaining" this to anyone. You're all well aware that there's a difference between getting hit by the golden bee-bee because bad stuff happens to good people, too, and something worthy of writing a play about. At this point you're just arguing for argument's sake, ain't nobody got time for that.
At least they didn't spell it as "tradegy", that would've been truly sad.

No point in arguing. I’ll simply leave you the dictionary definition of tragedy, it seems both are correct.

tragedy
[ traj-i-dee ]SHOW IPA

See synonyms for: tragedy / tragedies on Thesaurus.com
noun, plural trag·e·dies.

1. a lamentable, dreadful, or fatal event or affair; calamity; disaster: stunned by the tragedy of so many deaths.

2. a dramatic composition, often in verse, dealing with a serious or somber theme, typically involving a great person destined to experience downfall or utter destruction, as through a character flaw or conflict with some overpowering force, as fate or an unyielding society.

3. the branch of the drama that is concerned with this form of composition.

4. the art and theory of writing and producing tragedies.

5. any literary composition, as a novel, dealing with a somber theme carried to a tragic or disastrous conclusion.

6. the tragic or mournful or calamitous element of drama, of literature generally, or of life.

Technically Todd uses the opposite argument for word definitions. For instance he recently argued that the use of "woke" the way it is commonly used by right-wingers, as a snarl word for social justice movements, is legitimate regardless of the original definition.

To be fair, I’m generally on Boris’s side on this. “Woke” is a little different, because what you’re referring to as the “original” definition is itself incorrect usage/slang. You can’t butcher the human language and then complain when someone doesn’t conform to your butchering.

But Boris is also dead to me because he’s still advocating for double spacing after a period.

Ok, not those dying naturally of old age.

But a 28 yr old young woman and a 22 yr old young man, both of whom had a whole life ahead of them but died in a plane crash? I’d say that’s a tragedy.
Well then you run with that. And be sure to wear a helmet to protect your head from falling acorns. :)

“Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die.”

126491.jpg

Back