Lift tragedy

Man, I'm gonna regret this, but "tragedy" doesn't mean "something bad happened". Tragedy is something Euripides (or Aeschylus, or Sophocles) wrote which was meant to harness human sadness to some sense of reason. The whole point of Tragedy (in the you know real definition) is that it's instructive in some way. It is definitely *not* "your kid got hit by a bus, tough luck". I do not understand why it is so difficult for people to use words correctly. This is not a tragedy, it's just some sad poop that happened. Obviously, that sucks, but words mean stuff. Fire away.

Well, for a few hundred years or more, the word has also been used to mean an unfortunate event. That said, I'm a romantic and like the literary definition.

On second thought, a protagonist's unsuccessful fight against gravity seems to fit the literary definition. If we knew the pilot's aptitude, his efforts might be considered quixotic.

...still trying to sort out if there's any irony here.

Not on my watch.

Trust me, I get it. I have linguistic pet peeves (I’m going to shank the next person I hear pronounce “homogeneous” as “huh-MAH-gen-us”).

But I’m also a by the rules type of person, and that means going to dictionary definitions...so I think this was a tragedy.

Want to talk about irony next?

Man, I'm gonna regret this, but "tragedy" doesn't mean "something bad happened". Tragedy is something Euripides (or Aeschylus, or Sophocles) wrote which was meant to harness human sadness to some sense of reason. The whole point of Tragedy (in the you know real definition) is that it's instructive in some way. It is definitely *not* "your kid got hit by a bus, tough luck". I do not understand why it is so difficult for people to use words correctly. This is not a tragedy, it's just some sad poop that happened. Obviously, that sucks, but words mean stuff. Fire away.

Ugh you’re starting to sound more and more like Todd. Also, Oxford disagrees with you

trag·e·dy
/ˈtrajədē/
an event causing great suffering, destruction, and distress, such as a serious accident, crime, or natural catastrophe.
"a tragedy that killed 95 people"

Not on my watch. We have words for things that suck. "That sucks". "That's really sad". "Dang, that's horrible". Etc. The eradication of nuance
In this case the word tragedy is 'instructive' in that it's another lesson on the danger of certifying low-time pilots as flight instructors.

Ugh you’re starting to sound more and more like Todd. Also, Oxford disagrees with you

trag·e·dy
/ˈtrajədē/
an event causing great suffering, destruction, and distress, such as a serious accident, crime, or natural catastrophe.

Technically Todd uses the opposite argument for word definitions. For instance he recently argued that the use of "woke" the way it is commonly used by right-wingers, as a snarl word for social justice movements, is legitimate regardless of the original definition.

trag·e·dy
/ˈtrajədē/
an event causing great suffering, great destruction, and great distress, such as a serious accident, serious crime, or serious natural catastrophe.
A definition is NOT an endorsement of a word's use.........

The definition you posted supports @Boris Badenov stance. If you extrapolate past the commas, I'm on his side on this one.

95 people? Oh yeah, THAT's a tragedy! Two people a "tragedy" does not make. One would be hard pressed to place this accident anywhere in Oxford's definition under "tragedy" based on the above. Just because we use a word incorrectly so much it becomes accepted, and perhaps we're able to have the definition changed by such poor usage, doesn't necessarily make it "correct". (i.e. the word "ain't" or "irregardless".......)

A definition is NOT an endorsement of a word's use.........

The definition you posted supports @Boris Badenov stance. If you extrapolate past the commas, I'm on his side on this one.

95 people? Oh yeah, THAT's a tragedy! Two people a "tragedy" does not make. One would be hard pressed to place this accident anywhere in Oxford's definition under "tragedy" based on the above. Just because we use a word incorrectly so much it becomes accepted, and perhaps we're able to have the definition changed by such poor usage, doesn't necessarily make it "correct". (i.e. the word "ain't" or "irregardless".......)

would you say someone dying in a plane crash is NOT a serious accident? Do their families not feel great suffering? Irregardless of your personal opinion on the matter, I ain’t changing my mind on this and do believe any death falls perfectly under the definition of tragedy.

would you say someone dying in a plane crash is NOT a serious accident? Do their families not feel great suffering? Irregardless of your personal opinion on the matter, I ain’t changing my mind on this and do believe any death falls perfectly under the definition of tragedy.

I think we are debating the traditional definition versus modern definitions acquired through misuse.

Another word that has lost its nuance as its modern definition has overshadowed its original definition is the word "brutalize". Its original definition described becoming brutal not acting brutally.

Last edited:
As mentioned above, "ain't" has been in common usage for hundreds of years. It is still incorrect. If you think your little dictionary is going to hold back the elite forces of the Provisional Wing of the Militant Prescriptivist Grammarians , you've another think coming, friend-o. We will grind you beneath the tracks of our button-tufted wingback chairs, peasant.

As mentioned above, "ain't" has been in common usage for hundreds of years. It is still incorrect. If you think your little dictionary is going to hold back the elite forces of the Provisional Wing of the Militant Prescriptivist Grammarians , you've another think coming, friend-o. We will grind you beneath the tracks of our button-tufted wingback chairs, peasant.

While we are at it, can we have a conversation about commas?

Back