Older style airspeed indicators 757/767

It funny to think all these years I didn't know how close to stick shaker I really was....
You obviously did, though; Just not via a shiny screen-based presentation.
Growing up in the 90s, it's utterly astounding to me that any of the US moon missions actually made it to the moon without Garmin! How the heck did our fathers DO THAT???

I was thinking about that in flight one day at 390 in a 321 where, in Boeing terms, the upper and lower margins were tight as heck. I wondered how many times I was in a precarious airspeed situation.
Ah, hell man! It's ALL precarious... Act accordingly. ;)

Know the wing.
Fly the wing.
That's a truth that's here to stay!
Visually, tactily, or via gauge
AOA will save your day.

Last edited:
"you feel that shake, that's how you know you chose the right airspeed"

IMG_0123-Edit.jpg

You kids are all a bunch a hacks. Back in my day...
That's empty, trite blather. It's good for some populist yucks and bumper stickers. Let's see a current astronaut pull an Apollo 11 save these days. Go ahead, I dare ya! Lol.

Again, I am not an old guy. But I DO respect my elders.

Oh, wait! Silly me! They wouldn't HAVE to these days, 'cause these days the computers are soooooo much better. Ok. Carry on.

Last edited:
What'dya suppose that first tape on the left side of this airspeed indicator on a B-1B Lancer is?

I'm kinda guessing an AOA indicator in degrees/normalized values, but 26 degrees is an abnormally high stall AOA.

1615954731663.png

What'dya suppose that first tape on the left side of this airspeed indicator on a B-1B Lancer is?

I'm kinda guessing an AOA indicator in degrees/normalized values, but 26 degrees is an abnormally high stall AOA.

View attachment 58372
Pulling something completely out of my ass without thinking about it; something to do with the variable sweep wing?
Edit: Only thing google pulled up was a manual for a flightsim add on that labeled it Mach adjuster. The more I look at it the weirder that whole gauge cluster is.

Last edited:
Ah, the left side is two independent tapes:
  1. Angle-of-Attack Tape
  2. Angle-of-Attack Scale
  3. Normal Acceleration Moving Scale
The instrument depicted here from a B-1(A?) manual is different from the Air Force Museum's cockpit; there's no "16. Normal Acceleration Counter" window at the bottom. I'm not sure why the AOA would need both moving tape and scale, so I bet the photo is just a moving scale relative to the fixed index line instead.
1616026545351.png

(Edit: Also, normal acceleration is usually zero, while normal load-factor is usually around 1G, depending on altitude, speed, latitude, direction of flight, and wherever yo mama is.)

Hardened? Consider the mission.

All the cool cat glass jets you've flown would be a little, uhh, unreliable during a series of nuclear strikes with that days technology.

That's my assumption.

Hardened? Consider the mission.

All the cool cat glass jets you've flown would be a little, uhh, unreliable during a series of nuclear strikes with that days technology.

That's my assumption.

I don’t know how they ever found their way without a moving map magenta line. It’s the only way I know where I’m going :)

For you 737 drivers out there. When all the high speed / low speed upset talk was the flavor of the week (AirFrance), our sim sessions had an element where they put the airplane at 390, all cockpit lights off, and pulled the thrust to idle and let the autopilot get into the low speed buffet. You could really feel it, it was a low then increasing rumble. Then alternatively the scenario was set MCT and allow the aircraft to pass into high speed buffet. High speed buffet was much sharper and higher frequency. You could easily tell the difference with no visual airspeed indication at all. I never did that element in the Bus, I think you would need to be in alternate law to make it work.

For you 737 drivers out there. When all the high speed / low speed upset talk was the flavor of the week (AirFrance), our sim sessions had an element where they put the airplane at 390, all cockpit lights off, and pulled the thrust to idle and let the autopilot get into the low speed buffet. You could really feel it, it was a low then increasing rumble. Then alternatively the scenario was set MCT and allow the aircraft to pass into high speed buffet. High speed buffet was much sharper and higher frequency. You could easily tell the difference with no visual airspeed indication at all. I never did that element in the Bus, I think you would need to be in alternate law to make it work.
I wonder how apparent it would be in night IMC in an area where you've already been experiencing pretty steady turbulence though. I still maintain EET is one of the most educational parts of 121 training I've ever been through.

Back