Why I Left an Airline Pilot Career

I didn’t care to hang out with crews before the pandemic, I don’t see anything changing after. To borrow Independence Day, two words: plausible deniability. I don’t want to know who is doing what. I’ll just see y’all at van time tomorrow.

As for the fellow pilot, was 6-8 hrs in the flight deck not enough of a hang out? Do the normal job folks doing 8-5 hang out after work or go straight home? When I did the 8-5 thing, Friday’s was usually for meeting up after work for a quick bar drink/snack. I can see maybe meeting up for a lunch/dinner once in a while. But for the most part, cya tomorrow.

Working turns has been the best quality of life I can imagine. They’ve largely evaporated due to Covid at my shop and now we only have min credit four days with five hour outstation sits. I’d do that for the rest of my career if I could. Even my 40 minute drive to the airport isn’t bad considering I’m only doing it 12 to 13 times in a month. Working five days a week, nine to five. Hard pass
I like a mix. Afternoon turns or a few days over seas.

Maybe? I might do a few. But I signed up for this job because I don't want to drive to work everyday.

I never liked day trips, but have always lived pretty far from the airport. After spending 5 years of doing the 8-5 grind, the last thing I want to do is battle idiots on the road 4-5 days/week.

At my current gig we have mostly pretty long trips. Some are crazy long (like 14 days), but that’s because of COVID (and specifically an issue with my little base). Pre-COVID I was flying 5-7 day trips 2-3x/mo. It usually worked out to about 16-17 days off/mo, depending on the bid month.

The main thing for me is I want long blocks of days off. It’s like having a little vacation every month, and I really enjoy having the time to get my mind off work and be up in the mountains with my wife and/or friends.

I never liked day trips, but have always lived pretty far from the airport. After spending 5 years of doing the 8-5 grind, the last thing I want to do is battle idiots on the road 4-5 days/week.

At my current gig we have mostly pretty long trips. Some are crazy long (like 14 days), but that’s because of COVID (and specifically an issue with my little base). Pre-COVID I was flying 5-7 day trips 2-3x/mo. It usually worked out to about 16-17 days off/mo, depending on the bid month.

The main thing for me is I want long blocks of days off. It’s like having a little vacation every month, and I really enjoy having the time to get my mind off work and be up in the mountains with my wife and/or friends.

Yup. I’m not sure I could go back to 2-4 days off at a time. 17 day trips are hard, but having the rest of the month to forget I even have a job I’d spectacular. Especially if you get the second half of one month of and the first half of the next.

Maybe I’m a weirdo but I’ll take an easy, lazy 4 day why one or two legs a day vs a go go go hard working 3 day, but I’m pretty lazy. Definitely don’t see the appeal of doing 5 days worth of day trips just to be home every night but basically just have time to zombie out and eat dinner before bed and getting back up to drive to the airport.

Even before the pandemic the distrust was off the charts. There is pretty much nothing to look forward to when it comes to being on an overnight trip for work.
My only hope is as we get displaced around the system we can dilute the crappy culture a little bit. Really though, the personality type hired at each couldn’t have been more different (CC on here excluded :rolleyes:). There are zero things to look forward to as an “improvement” to the way it was prior to the acquisition. Just wanna upgrade asap and hopefully my youthful exuberance will rub off!

My only hope is as we get displaced around the system we can dilute the crappy culture a little bit. Really though, the personality type hired at each couldn’t have been more different (CC on here excluded :rolleyes:). There are zero things to look forward to as an “improvement” to the way it was prior to the acquisition. Just wanna upgrade asap and hopefully my youthful exuberance will rub off!

I was gonna say that CC would fit in amazing with the Boeing Seattle crews. Every time I walk onto an Airbus I say hi to the pilots and it seems like the vibe is a lot more like SkyWest.

I just finished a 3 day with a captain that slam clicked at Puerto Vallarta. At least the FAs wanted to hang out for Thanksgiving dinner.

I was gonna say that CC would fit in amazing with the Boeing Seattle crews. Every time I walk onto an Airbus I say hi to the pilots and it seems like the vibe is a lot more like SkyWest.

I just finished a 3 day with a captain that slam clicked at Puerto Vallarta. At least the FAs wanted to hang out for Thanksgiving dinner.

To be fair, everyone is different. Some of us can have a good time working together but would rather do something alone on an overnight. Coming to terms with my introversion on the road was life changing for me. I enjoy social interaction, but it drains my batteries. Usually by the end of the day, I’m ready to go be by myself and recharge the batteries. I used to feel guilty, but I don’t anymore. It usually isn’t personal, just that people are wired differently. There isn’t much on this planet I hate more than being low on social energy and being stuck in a social situation I can’t escape.

Multi day layover and you wanna grab dinner the next day? Hell yes. Looking forward to it. But after a long day? Honestly hope you have fun, I’m going on a walk by myself.

To be fair, everyone is different. Some of us can have a good time working together but would rather do something alone on an overnight. Coming to terms with my introversion on the road was life changing for me. I enjoy social interaction, but it drains my batteries. Usually by the end of the day, I’m ready to go be by myself and recharge the batteries. I used to feel guilty, but I don’t anymore. It usually isn’t personal, just that people are wired differently. There isn’t much on this planet I hate more than being low on social energy and being stuck in a social situation I can’t escape.

Multi day layover and you wanna grab dinner the next day? Hell yes. Looking forward to it. But after a long day? Honestly hope you have fun, I’m going on a walk by myself.

Sorry but I find it dubious that someone is only no good at socializing outside of the cockpit. By the end of the first leg I know if someone is a clam clicker or not. There are people who are fun to go on road trips with and people who are not. I learned this early in my life with bike racing and traveling to races. It's no different with pilots. Except I can't look at my phone when I am at cruise. I have to stare at clouds and try not to fall asleep.

Being an extravert at Eskimo has been painful. There was a reason I was hired by VA people for the bus. Sadly it was not to be.

Sorry but I find it dubious that someone is only no good at socializing outside of the cockpit. By the end of the first leg I know if someone is a clam clicker or not. There are people who are fun to go on road trips with and people who are not. I learned this early in my life with bike racing and traveling to races. It's no different with pilots. Except I can't look at my phone when I am at cruise. I have to stare at clouds and try not to fall asleep.

Being an extravert at Eskimo has been painful. There was a reason I was hired by VA people for the bus. Sadly it was not to be.

Lol. Sure. Tell me more about my personality.

There’s a huge difference between “you’re an ass bag and I don’t want to hang out” and “we just had a 20 hour duty day together. Let’s catch up tomorrow.”

Lol. Sure. Tell me more about my personality.

It's fine that you're not an outgoing person who makes the time pass by faster with conversation. I'm guessing that just like the last guy I was paired with I would have sorted out the fact you're an introvert before we land at the destination. There's no need for the awkward conversation in the elevator. I already know. I could tell that my last pairing didn't like to interact with people when 2 hours goes by with nothing said. Just know that if your FO or CA is an extravert they are probably screaming internally the entire time you're at cruise. Think about it. You're only not fun to be around and don't want to interact when you're done with flying?

Please. People can convince themselves of anything I guess.

It's fine that you're not an outgoing person who makes the time pass by faster with conversation. I'm guessing that just like the last guy I was paired with I would have sorted out the fact you're an introvert before we land at the destination. There's no need for the awkward conversation in the elevator. I already know. I could tell that my last pairing didn't like to interact with people when 2 hours goes by with nothing said. Just know that if your FO or CA is an extravert they are probably screaming internally the entire time you're at cruise. Think about it. You're only not fun to be around and don't want to interact when you're done with flying?

Please. People can convince themselves of anything I guess.
"Job description: Entertain the other guy for 6 hours."

The fact that I have to go out and spend hundreds of dollars on a headset that is required for the effing job does not excite me. All the Airbii have ship sets and 99% use them.

It's even better when someone steals your headset out of the Seattle resource room.

Back