Why I Left an Airline Pilot Career

Turns are basically like day trips. Base-XXX-Base. It’s about as unicorn as you can get for this job. It becomes a regular day job. Out at 8am, home by 6pm kinda thing. Some of them can be 6-7+ hrs and you only have to do 10 or 11 for the month to meet guarantee. 19-21 days off can be had. At our shop, the most day off lines are typically high credit turn lines.

Turns are basically like day trips. Base-XXX-Base. It’s about as unicorn as you can get for this job. It becomes a regular day job. Out at 8am, home by 6pm kinda thing. Some of them can be 6-7+ hrs and you only have to do 10 or 11 for the month to meet guarantee. 19-21 days off can be had. At our shop, the most day off lines are typically high credit turn lines.

You know why it’s called a unicorn? Because while one keeps hearing about them one never actually sees one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Working turns has been the best quality of life I can imagine. They’ve largely evaporated due to Covid at my shop and now we only have min credit four days with five hour outstation sits. I’d do that for the rest of my career if I could. Even my 40 minute drive to the airport isn’t bad considering I’m only doing it 12 to 13 times in a month. Working five days a week, nine to five. Hard pass

I hate 4 days and *cringe* there are some 5 days here. But I think we need variety to suit everyone's tastes - different strokes for different folks

Overnights at least used to have the potential for fun. Sometimes lucked out with solo adventures and once a quarter or so fun people on the crew. SkyWest usually had fun people to enjoy the overnight with much more often. Eskimo not VA crews largely distrust each other and it’s quite rare where anyone wants to meet up for fun.

Now a good overnight is if I can actually find food and it’s ok to go outside. Standards continue to drop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back