Why I Left an Airline Pilot Career

I couldn't tell if the last guy I flew with was talking to himself or had forgotten to turn his intercom back on again. There's really not a whole lot I feel insecure about I'd just like to not be paired up with socially retarded once in a blue moon.

I'm back on reserve and was the FO on someone's line check. Both guys were former Mesa and pretty cool. That was a good day but it was just a day turn.

Mesa is an awful awful company, but I’ve been nothing but impressed with LAMAs at my company. Feel like it’s a situation where to survive that place with a resume that gets you on somewhere else, you know that you’re doing.

Republic peeps...eh...not that impressed

This thread is making me super good about ending up at the airline I'm at and the position I've attained. When I was trying to get out of Eaglevoy, my first wish was Alaska. Then when I got out of Eaglevoy, my wish was AA. Unanswered prayers, or something.
Bullet dodged!

The other issue with where I work is a lot of cultural differences. A Mil baby boomer guy on his 3rd divorce typically doesn’t have a lot in common with me. And they usually are the type to have one way conversations, which is the worst.

I recently flew a trip with a former regional guy that was close to my age, and it was really fun! Much more like my Skywest days. Most of that pilot group was really cool and open minded, which I miss.
That and the IT are the only things I miss about that place. Sometimes it was more fun flying with a bunch of other fellow millennials.

It's fine that you're not an outgoing person who makes the time pass by faster with conversation. I'm guessing that just like the last guy I was paired with I would have sorted out the fact you're an introvert before we land at the destination. There's no need for the awkward conversation in the elevator. I already know. I could tell that my last pairing didn't like to interact with people when 2 hours goes by with nothing said. Just know that if your FO or CA is an extravert they are probably screaming internally the entire time you're at cruise. Think about it. You're only not fun to be around and don't want to interact when you're done with flying?

Please. People can convince themselves of anything I guess.

I’ve found that people who need to be constantly entertained with mindless conversation and can’t sit quietly with their own thoughts are usually bereft of intellect. Not saying that’s you, just in general.

I was there to operate the aviation appliance safely, not to be the other guy’s entertainment. Read a book or something. Occupy yourself.

I couldn't tell if the last guy I flew with was talking to himself or had forgotten to turn his intercom back on again. There's really not a whole lot I feel insecure about I'd just like to not be paired up with socially retarded once in a blue moon.

I'm back on reserve and was the FO on someone's line check. Both guys were former Mesa and pretty cool. That was a good day but it was just a day turn.
So your “once in a blue moon” experience is how you’re categorizing the people here that just want some peace and quiet for a bit?

Mesa is an awful awful company, but I’ve been nothing but impressed with LAMAs at my company. Feel like it’s a situation where to survive that place with a resume that gets you on somewhere else, you know that you’re doing.

Republic peeps...eh...not that impressed
What’s a LAMA?

So your “once in a blue moon” experience is how you’re categorizing the people here that just want some peace and quiet for a bit?

Uh. There’s nothing wrong with peace and quiet for a bit.

It seems like in JC world one can either meditate in silence for 4 hrs or flap gums continually?

Normal, socialized humans can find a happy medium. And I’m standing by my assertion that if you just like hanging out by yourself and are an introvert but you’re an amazing conversationalist when the cockpit door is closed you’re probably not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just can’t understand why anyone wouldn’t want to hang out with @BEEF SUPREME unless professionally obligated to. Just...blows my mind!

“You’re not an introvert! You just suck at social interaction” says the guy who just can’t get along with people he works with at like 8 different companies

Uh. There’s nothing wrong with peace and quiet for a bit.

It seems like in JC world one can either meditate in silence for 4 hrs or flap gums continually?

Normal, socialized humans can find a happy medium. And I’m standing by my assertion that if you just like hanging out by yourself and are an introvert but you’re an amazing conversationalist when the cockpit door is closed you’re probably not.

Can you reference anything that validates this?

I just can’t understand why anyone wouldn’t want to hang out with @BEEF SUPREME unless professionally obligated to. Just...blows my mind!

“You’re not an introvert! You just suck at social interaction” says the guy who just can’t get along with people he works with at like 8 different companies

One. One company.

My only hope is as we get displaced around the system we can dilute the crappy culture a little bit. Really though, the personality type hired at each couldn’t have been more different (CC on here excluded :rolleyes:). There are zero things to look forward to as an “improvement” to the way it was prior to the acquisition. Just wanna upgrade asap and hopefully my youthful exuberance will rub off!

I was in the NY base and I think for the most part the crews just did their own thing on layovers.

I was gonna say that CC would fit in amazing with the Boeing Seattle crews. Every time I walk onto an Airbus I say hi to the pilots and it seems like the vibe is a lot more like SkyWest.

I just finished a 3 day with a captain that slam clicked at Puerto Vallarta. At least the FAs wanted to hang out for Thanksgiving dinner.

I slam click in terms of not meeting other crews. I'll still go out and explore/do my own thing. Why do we have to meet up during the layover? Can't a guy get some peace and quiet away from people? The way I see it, this is my opportunity away from the busy home life that was babies crying and diapers (though they're out of that stage now). Still, there is something to say about getting to a hotel room, plopping down on the sofa, and saying "ahhhhh" to absolute silence. Don't get met wrong, when we're flying I'll shoot the breeze and chat with ya all day about whatever subjects you like. But once we get where we're goin, I'll cya tomorrow and we'll do it again.

The check airman when I was on IOE played on his phone and there was a time when trip trading on a transcon was common

No one on the Boeing would dare do that. Completely different than the VX laid back culture in cruise. Honestly looking back, I can't believe we did that. Imagine if something happened on landing and even if cruise 2 hrs ago had nothing to do with it, imagine having that thrown in the media and your family having to live with your name being tarnished and trashed. Transitioning through the Boeing program, they made it clear they will have not have your back if it's "wilful negligence" and some of the stuff that was "ok" at VX during cruise is basically a fireable offense at AS. I'm a believer now. My phone goes on airplane mode before pushback and does not come out again until after the shutdown checklist. I still can't believe what we used to at VX. Word of advice and take it for what it's worth, when you come over to the Boeing, adapt.

The fact that I have to go out and spend hundreds of dollars on a headset that is required for the effing job does not excite me. All the Airbii have ship sets and 99% use them.

I always found that gross, considering how many people have their lips touching the foam on the mouthpiece. I used my own headset, bought a Telex 850 ANR plus the Airbus adapter, total was $400 or so. Now that I'm on the Boeing, I bought a new A20 for over $1000. It's worth the investment on your ears considering how quiet it is. I'm gonna sell my old Telex.

Again I already know 99% of the time when people don’t want to meet up with crews on the road. It’s not like a surprise when they mention it in the elevator. There’s nothing wrong with it.

Although I do think that locking oneself in their room in Puerta Vallarta on the 24 hour overnight is a bit, odd.

The flight attendants were normal, socialized humans. It’s nice spending time with people when I don’t have to wonder if they are talking to themselves or taking to me...

I was in the NY base and I think for the most part the crews just did their own thing on layovers.

I slam click in terms of not meeting other crews. I'll still go out and explore/do my own thing. Why do we have to meet up during the layover? Can't a guy get some peace and quiet away from people? The way I see it, this is my opportunity away from the busy home life that was babies crying and diapers (though they're out of that stage now). Still, there is something to say about getting to a hotel room, plopping down on the sofa, and saying "ahhhhh" to absolute silence. Don't get met wrong, when we're flying I'll shoot the breeze and chat with ya all day about whatever subjects you like. But once we get where we're goin, I'll cya tomorrow and we'll do it again.

No one on the Boeing would dare do that. Completely different than the VX laid back culture in cruise. Honestly looking back, I can't believe we did that. Imagine if something happened on landing and even if cruise 2 hrs ago had nothing to do with it, imagine having that thrown in the media and your family having to live with your name being tarnished and trashed. Transitioning through the Boeing program, they made it clear they will have not have your back if it's "wilful negligence" and some of the stuff that was "ok" at VX during cruise is basically a fireable offense at AS. I'm a believer now. My phone goes on airplane mode before pushback and does not come out again until after the shutdown checklist. I still can't believe what we used to at VX. Word of advice and take it for what it's worth, when you come over to the Boeing, adapt.

I always found that gross, considering how many people have their lips touching the foam on the mouthpiece. I used my own headset, bought a Telex 850 ANR plus the Airbus adapter, total was $400 or so. Now that I'm on the Boeing, I bought a new A20 for over $1000. It's worth the investment on your ears considering how quiet it is. I'm gonna sell my old Telex.
Were you the kind of kid that when the teacher was about to dismiss the class, would raise your hand asking why she hadn’t collected the homework?

Again I already know 99% of the time when people don’t want to meet up with crews on the road. It’s not like a surprise when they mention it in the elevator. There’s nothing wrong with it.

Although I do think that locking oneself in their room in Puerta Vallarta on the 24 hour overnight is a bit, odd.

The flight attendants were normal, socialized humans. It’s nice spending time with people when I don’t have to wonder if they are talking to themselves or taking to me...

I mean, there is a pandemic too. I don't blame anyone for refusing to hang out these days.

Were you the kind of kid that when the teacher was about to dismiss the class, would raise your hand asking why she hadn’t collected the homework?

Yes. I also had my wristwatch set to the exact time as the school clock so when the last school bell would ring for dismissal, I'd give a countdown like "5, 4, 3, 2, 1...." and right then the bell would go off.

Yes, I was am a nerd.

Back