Update: UPS flight dispatchers are asking to be paid like counterparts at Delta, American

Its so annoying when you hear regional dispatchers think cargo dispatching is so different than PAX, like you dont follow the same rules and to say UPS is a stepping stone to a major is so trash. So to be clear UPS FEDEX AA SW UA DL even Alaska to a point are all Industry career jobs that you dont leave unless location or the company culture is an issue for you. All planes dispatch practically the same way. And im a major PAX dispatcher. I mean if your are at regional and you are passing up Job opportunities at Jetblue, Atlas,Spirit, Kalitta etc... (Alaska, FEDEX and UPS are majors)because you waiting for the big 4 well you have lost thousands of dollars waiting. The only reason to pass those up is location or company culture like I said.

I think that’s being optimistic. I know many people have gone to UPS and intend to stay there. Their pay is mainline, so no point in losing seniority and pay to end up at the same level years later. Theres always exceptions though.

Atlas, Spirit, ATI, Kalita etc seem to be more of the feeders.
You missed the point, read the post I was replying to. I don’t think the hiring managers is thinking/worrying of people signing “proof or resignation” from their other job. I never said UPS was a feeder. Those that would apply from the pax major means that they are on the bottom of the seniority list at the shop also so there is a great chance that after a couple of years at UPS they would have more seniority and make more money at UPS then if they went back to their old shop (where, now, they would be back on the bottom of the seniority list for a while until more people get called back).
In my previous post I specifically said dispatchers from “passenger” majors. I know UPS and FedEx are also majors just with different payloads.

Its so annoying when you hear regional dispatchers think cargo dispatching is so different than PAX, like you dont follow the same rules and to say UPS is a stepping stone to a major is so trash. So to be clear UPS FEDEX AA SW UA DL even Alaska to a point are all Industry career jobs that you dont leave unless location or the company culture is an issue for you. All planes dispatch practically the same way. And im a major PAX dispatcher. I mean if your are at regional and you are passing up Job opportunities at Jetblue, Atlas,Spirit, Kalitta etc... (Alaska, FEDEX and UPS are majors)because you waiting for the big 4 well you have lost thousands of dollars waiting. The only reason to pass those up is location or company culture like I said.
Remember year 1 at a mid major (atlas, spirit, Kalitta) is to top of scale at a regional.

You missed the point, read the post I was replying to. I don’t think the hiring managers is thinking/worrying of people signing “proof or resignation” from their other job. I never said UPS was a feeder. Those that would apply from the pax major means that they are on the bottom of the seniority list at the shop also so there is a great chance that after a couple of years at UPS they would have more seniority and make more money at UPS then if they went back to their old shop (where, now, they would be back on the bottom of the seniority list for a while until more people get called back).
In my previous post I specifically said dispatchers from “passenger” majors. I know UPS and FedEx are also majors just with different payloads.

With the number of applicants they are likely to get, I wouldn't be surprised if you're going to need some higher level of experience(Mgr/ATS/ATGI) than just being a line dispatcher to get picked up. It's going to be highly competitive for the next couple of years to get on with a carrier like UPS. With that said, I think after the industry stabilizes people are going to be a little more skittish about jumping ship to another carrier (or back to their previous if recalled) if they are already at a major/legacy carrier that pays well.

With the number of applicants they are likely to get, I wouldn't be surprised if you're going to need some higher level of experience(Mgr/ATS/ATGI) than just being a line dispatcher to get picked up. It's going to be highly competitive for the next couple of years to get on with a carrier like UPS. With that said, I think after the industry stabilizes people are going to be a little more skittish about jumping ship to another carrier (or back to their previous if recalled) if they are already at a major/legacy carrier that pays well.

I think the current situation will definitely expand the options in the sea of applications we will likely receive. It will be interesting to see the path the company takes when choosing applicants going forward. I will say this though...there is something to be said for an applicant who’s got 3-5 years of experience and who’s still hungry in this game, eager to learn and continue growing as a dispatcher as opposed to someone who’s been dispatching for 20+ years who’s developed some habits or attitudes that are pretty tough to change. UPS is a unique climate to be sure and it takes someone who’s still willing to adapt and learn. Not to say a long time dispatcher isn’t, but I think you get my point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the current situation will definitely expand the options in the sea of applications we will likely receive. It will be interesting to see the path the company takes when choosing applicants going forward. I will say this though...there is something to be said for an applicant who’s got 3-5 years of experience and who’s still hungry in this game, eager to learn and continue growing as a dispatcher as opposed to someone who’s been dispatching for 20+ years who’s developed some habits or attitudes that are pretty tough to change. UPS is a unique climate to be sure and it takes someone who’s still willing to adapt and learn. Not to say a long time dispatcher isn’t, but I think you get my point.

You bring up a good point. Though I have to question that with the amount that majors have been hiring the last 5 years, is it a good thing if an applicant has that much experience? With the major flood gates having been opened, having that much experience can be a red flag. I think 1-3 years experience is likely a safer bet if you want someone who is hungry and eager to learn.

You bring up a good point. Though I have to question that with the amount that majors have been hiring the last 5 years, is it a good thing if an applicant has that much experience? With the major flood gates having been opened, having that much experience can be a red flag. I think 1-3 years experience is likely a safer bet if you want someone who is hungry and eager to learn.

Everyone's situation is different. Due to moves, bankruptcies, etc. you might have a very good dispatcher who was happy at their old carrier and suddenly, is looking for work. I ended up having over 10 years of experience when I got hired by a major, in part due to 9/11 and the carrier I had been at going out of business in 2002. I hope that HR doesn't look at number of years of experience and automatically not interview people that have a fair amount of it.

Everyone's situation is different. Due to moves, bankruptcies, etc. you might have a very good dispatcher who was happy at their old carrier and suddenly, is looking for work. I ended up having over 10 years of experience when I got hired by a major, in part due to 9/11 and the carrier I had been at going out of business in 2002. I hope that HR doesn't look at number of years of experience and automatically not interview people that have a fair amount of it.
In this case UPS asked for 2 at a minimum so would their be a chance of the app asking “do you have 2 years experience?” And NOs get sent to the recycling bin?

In this case UPS asked for 2 at a minimum so would their be a chance of the app asking “do you have 2 years experience?” And NOs get sent to the recycling bin?
There will be a lot of applicants, so they have to weed some out somehow ‍

The last class (the one I was in) had a mix of people. 4 regionals and 1 from another cargo airline.

All of us had at least 2 years experience dispatching 121 so my guess is the 2 year rule will probably be in place this round of hiring. That said it is an awesome company to work for and many different types of dispatching.

If it says minimum 2 years experience and one applies not having the required experience, then yes I think it’s pretty straightforward that the individual will not be looked at because they do not meet the minimum qualifications.

Here’s the latest guys - the job posting will remain down for the time being as they do have a lot of resumes to go through. At this time, it’s unclear if it will go back up for this round of hiring. I’ll update if I hear anything.

Remember year 1 at a mid major (atlas, spirit, Kalitta) is to top of scale at a regional.
Great point! Anyone at a regional or in some kind of Career CoVid Crisis- you’d be foolish not to try to step up to the mid tier carriers. Better pay and better experience undoubtedly. So if you’re not hired this round you’ll be able to ride out the storm at a much better pay rate and look much better when the majors spool back up.

Here’s the latest guys - the job posting will remain down for the time being as they do have a lot of resumes to go through. At this time, it’s unclear if it will go back up for this round of hiring. I’ll update if I hear anything.

Are those resumes from the previous class or from the short time the current posting was up?

Are those resumes from the previous class or from the short time the current posting was up?

From the current posting. I was surprised to find out that the new post has been up more than once in the last week. I never saw it repost. It only accepts so many applications at one time and then closes. I heard directly from a hiring manager that they have a lot of applications to go through and it’s unclear if the post will go back up for this class. The only suggestion I have is to keep watch often when it’s known we are hiring. I’ll update if I hear anything new.

From the current posting. I was surprised to find out that the new post has been up more than once in the last week. I never saw it repost. It only accepts so many applications at one time and then closes. I heard directly from a hiring manager that they have a lot of applications to go through and it’s unclear if the post will go back up for this class. The only suggestion I have is to keep watch often when it’s known we are hiring. I’ll update if I hear anything new.

Dang. And here I was checking a few times everyday but never seeing anything. Wish they'd just leave it open for a day.

Dang. And here I was checking a few times everyday but never seeing anything. Wish they'd just leave it open for a day.

It’s normally up for a bit but there’s so many applications right now that the system gets its fill and shuts it down.

I’ve heard from a couple sources at Brown that this was just to replenish the pool,and that there are no plans for classes anytime in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back