LOW TIME PILOT "UNDER 500 TT" JOBS

I mean, I've seriously considered it. Even talked to a few people here in the know about it. But I'll probably be at maybe 400tt when I'm done with my CMEL. Figured that they'd laugh at my hours, and toss my resume in the trash because as you said, they have lines around the block, all chomping at the bit to get a chance. All with probably with 800tt and up. Even though their website says 250 hrs minimum for an FO position. That's the minimum, but probably not preferred.

Something I've learned when/if applying for jobs: never, ever sell yourself short on thinking you won't get the job. Every candidate has pros and cons. I can't emphasize a positive mental attitude enough, but have the wit to avoid carrot chasing. The amount of "no's" may be higher than your TT, and that's just fine, in my opinion.

Also - be cautious in getting stuck on working for one particular carrier at the 'entry' phase. Apply everywhere - nothing matters till you're in class after accepting an offer.

I wanted to start this new thread for our new pilots looking for jobs with low time - So what are the options for them?

Survey largely from the Picto vendors like Skylens, Ground Imaging, Sandhills, JAG and Landcare as they'll all hire with a fresh commercial, but it's seasonal many other survey companies want 500TT minimum, but might be a little flexible. Some skydiving gigs will hire low time for flying 182s and there's banner towing. There are some smaller companies that do cloud seeding or weather mod too that would hire low time guys.

Also I forgot the 208 passenger ops like Southern Airways or whatever it's called as they do hire low-timers for the right seat and I believe so does a similar company based out of STL. There's another 208 operator that I believe was recently bought out that has some on amphibs in Florida and supposedly they'll hire low-time SICs though they might want 500 hours.

Those SIC gigs that have hired low time pilots in the past are Southern Airways Express, Air Choice One, Tropic Airways (I'm not sure how low time they'd be willing to go) and Air Cargo Carriers (I'm not sure if they've upped their requirements, but I believe it was 250 to 500 years ago when I looked). There are many other opportunities out there too that I'm not aware of.

I always felt like Planesense might be willing to go lower than 750TT, but we'll see. I also wonder about WheelsUp and how low they'll go for SICs.

Those SIC gigs that have hired low time pilots in the past are Southern Airways Express, Air Choice One, Tropic Airways (I'm not sure how low time they'd be willing to go) and Air Cargo Carriers (I'm not sure if they've upped their requirements, but I believe it was 250 to 500 years ago when I looked). There are many other opportunities out there too that I'm not aware of.

I always felt like Planesense might be willing to go lower than 750TT, but we'll see. I also wonder about WheelsUp and how low they'll go for SICs.

This is more my speed, but honestly in a month or two. I'll take anything.

Best of luck. I really liked the Southern Airways Express guys I went through initial with. I'm not sure if they advertise for FOs, but it's well worth reaching out as I believe their website has the person to contact's email address on their career page.

I'm not sure if the contact info here is accurate, but maybe it's worth an email to. St. Louis isn't a bad city and I always thought Soulard was really nice.

Ace Air Cargo, Hageland, and Aero Air
Yeah. What he said. Check the NTSB database. Look for operators with the most crashes over the last 10 years. Check for onerous sticky contractual obligations. Then Apply.
Or, you could teach for a couple years, get really good and gain a couple thousand hours, then get a really good job with... oh, whatever.

Yeah. What he said. Check the NTSB database. Look for operators with the most crashes over the last 10 year. Check for onerous sticky contractual obligations. Then Apply.
Or, you could teach for a couple years, get really good, then get a really good job with... oh, whatever.

"Really good" from teaching is somewhat overrated. I've known very few CFIs with 1500hrs that were "really good."

You WILL know how to fly IFR after a year at ACE. You will know more about the "art" of flying after a year at Hageland, AeroAir will give you mentors.

"Really good" from teaching is somewhat overrated. I've known very few CFIs with 1500hrs that were "really good."

You WILL know how to fly IFR after a year at ACE. You will know more about the "art" of flying after a year at Hageland, AeroAir will give you mentors.
Hageland. Biggest distributor of Cessna parts in Alaska.
The "oh, whatever" was there to intimate that NO ONE CARES how good you are. They just need to check their boxes and fill their seats.

I believe all four positions will consider your time, but I only checked one or two. They used to also do some sterilized fly dispersal or something out of SoCal too. I'm not sure if that link will work, but it's for Dynamic Aviation SICs.

I had a buddy that flew SIC for Ace years ago and honestly it sounded pretty cool. Anchorage is surprisingly cosmopolitan and not hard to get back to the lower 48 from as the tickets can be really reasonable as long as you're not doing direct flights. Alaska can be intimidating, but I think they could be a really good opportunity flying right seat.

I believe all four positions will consider your time, but I only checked one or two. They used to also do some sterilized fly dispersal or something out of SoCal too. I'm not sure if that link will work, but it's for Dynamic Aviation SICs.

I had a buddy that flew SIC for Ace years ago and honestly it sounded pretty cool. Anchorage is surprisingly cosmopolitan and not hard to get back to the lower 48 from as the tickets can be really reasonable as long as you're not doing direct flights. Alaska can be intimidating, but I think they could be a really good opportunity flying right seat.

After I get my multi, I'm applying everywhere. ACE is definitely on my radar. As are Southern Airways and Air Choice One. Would prefer that type of flying vs. survey. I'm in a Cadet program and they're saying Part 135 pilots are sailing through training and not getting the "L" as much as CFI's and ex survey pilots are. Because either the two are not IFR current, or their IFR skills have degraded drastically flying VFR and a 121 training program isn't the place to reteach an IFR rating.

But again, I'll take anything and just be grateful.

After I get my multi, I'm applying everywhere. ACE is definitely on my radar. As are Southern Airways and Air Choice One. Would prefer that type of flying vs. survey. I'm in a Cadet program and they're saying Part 135 pilots are sailing through training and not getting the "L" as much as CFI's and ex survey pilots are. Because either the two are not IFR current, or their IFR skills have degraded drastically flying VFR and a 121 training program isn't the place to reteach an IFR rating.

I wish I had gotten more 1900 sic time in AK, it’s really good experience.

Best of luck with it all! All I can ever tell new pilots is to keep applying. I think survey can be surprisingly fun and pay decent depending on who you end up with. I'd always suggest some sim time for anyone going 135 or 121 as you can never be too prepared before hand.

if you don't weigh much you'd be very welcome flying survey in Tecnam twins and I'd put your weight on the resume if so. They've got other planes and do survey year round as I understand it. They're looking for 300TT and 50ME, but less might work too.

There's also flying as a tour guide, but that might be closer to 500 hours.

Best of luck with it all! All I can ever tell new pilots is to keep applying. I think survey can be surprisingly fun and pay decent depending on who you end up with. I'd always suggest some sim time for anyone going 135 or 121 as you can never be too prepared before hand.

if you don't weigh much you'd be very welcome flying survey in Tecnam twins and I'd put your weight on the resume if so. They've got other planes and do survey year round as I understand it. They're looking for 300TT and 50ME, but less might work too.

There's also flying as a tour guide, but that might be closer to 500 hours.

I have my favorites. But then there are also guys that had Delta as their #1, flying a career at SWA, because SWA called first. I just need/want a job post-primary. Preferably one that allows me to build a ton of hours FAST. I'm not picky. I'll just be grateful to have a job after primary.

Keep em comin'

I'm getting tired and distracted as I thought I remembered some other gigs that hired low time, but seriously that sounds pretty cool. They even mention minimum 50 an hour which I mean has to just paid for what you fly, but even if you only got 40 hours a month PIC that's 2K in a very liveable area that can be really fun and Kansas City's something like an hour away and you're not far from Stillwater, Tulsa or Fayetteville, AR which is a really cool town and you'd be by Wichita too.

I'll try to toss up some more as I remember some, but I always loved Lawrence.

ACE is in CASS and has reciprocals with at least a handful of airlines.
I use them occasionally to get places to.

I have my favorites. But then there are also guys that had Delta as their #1, flying a career at SWA, because SWA called first. I just need/want a job post-primary. Preferably one that allows me to build a ton of hours FAST. I'm not picky. I'll just be grateful to have a job after primary.

Just remember that you might have two or more gigs before you get to 1500 hours so if you get a quick, seasonal job and can build some time that's not a bad bet at all as it might get you a steady, good paying gig you can ride to 121 mins. Your pay and opportunities should increase at 500, then 800, then 1000, then 135 mins. I'm not sure what Ultimate Air Shuttle out of LUK is hiring with these days, but I know some guys who built a lot of time and were paid well that got hired around 1000 hours and that time should count to 121 upgrade time, but I believe there are quite a few scheduled 135 operators flying ERJs and bigger that will hire around a 1000tt or less.

Back